Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 R6 with about 15500 miles and today I took off the fairing to check the front sprocket and I noticed that oil is leaking from the bottom bolt that holds the sprocket cover on. I put everything back together and now when go over 10K rpms the clutch slips. That never happened until today when i took the cover off the front sprocket. From my research it seems that the oil seal is probably bad. Will the engine have to be pulled or does it require just taking off the sprocket?

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would start with cleaning up the area so you can actually tell what is going on. I doubt it is coming from the bolt. It is just the lowest point where the oil settles after blowing around all over the place.

Because it is so grubby down there it is hard to tell from that one image if it is the seal on the shift shaft or just lube from the chain. Some people put alot of lube on their chains. Although your chain looks very dry...

Page 5-46 of the workshop manual will help you. Part number 12 is the oil seal. If it is from here it is likely making its way down there over time.

1. CLEAN UP THE WHOLE FRONT SPROCKET AREA FIRST.
2. Spray on some white foot powder or similar.
3. Run the bike just sitting there for a while. See if you get a leak The foot powder should stain and lead you back to where the leak came from.
4. Avoid riding it at first because the air flow from riding blows the oil all over the place and makes it hard to track.

As for the clutch issue. I suspect it is coincidental and subsequently not related. Have you put correct oil in, is the clutch cable adjusted correctly, have you done burnouts or race starts, when was your clutch last serviced?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
with a properly adjusted clutch lever clutches will last 100k miles of normal use. it's always users abusing them that kills them. the most often offender, clutch cable being out of adjustment. and two, car oils being used. with an 07 it's springs probably need replaced too. they weaken over time.

but if the front sprocket is leaking the seal can be replaced by removing the sprocket. it's easy and cheap to fix.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the bike a little over a month ago and I've put on 2600 so far. its been great with no noticeable issues until today when i took off the front sprocket cover. I just went out and checked the oil and its lower than the mark on the dip stick. Can that cause clutch slippage? As for changing the sprocket seal does that require any special tools besides a torque wrench? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
106 Posts
As above simple fix for shift selector oil seal. No special tools.

Re slipping clutch:
Lower than which mark on the dip stick?
No it should not cause slippage unless its the wrong oil.
Go and read my first reply again.

You may only need a clutch cable adjustment or rebuild/service.

You won't get a definitive answer here because we are not there and can't see it.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
As above simple fix for shift selector oil seal. No special tools.

Re slipping clutch:
Lower than which mark on the dip stick?
No it should not cause slippage unless its the wrong oil.
Go and read my first reply again.

You may only need a clutch cable adjustment or rebuild/service.

You won't get a definitive answer here because we are not there and can't see it.
he will need a seal puller. but you can get those at the auto parts stores. and a seal driver big enough for that seal. so yeah it might be worth taking it to a shop. if you have any wood working tools you could make a seal driver with wood. I've used wood blocks on customers and mine, bike's all the time to drive in seals.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks, I don't consider them special tools as they work on many bikes :) I thought he was asking if any special Yamaha tools were required.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts