Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone im new around here and just recently started riding. So here is my situation. I ride a 03 r6 and unfortunatly the chain was thrown off the front sprocket consequently leaving a hole in the crank case. So in my current financial state I could not afford to buy a hole new engine so i mended it with JB weld. It seemed to do the trick no oil leaking from the crack area. But here is the problem. Just sitting there the bike does not leak any oil at all, but once I start to ride it that is when it starts to leak. Why would it do this? If it only leaks when the bike is on and in gear and moving where are the possible spots It could leak oil from? Any help on this would be great. Like I said at this time I can not afford to put another engine in my bike otherwise that would be my first move. I just need to get my bike running with out the leak because it is my only mode of transportation. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Damn bro i had the same thing happen to me and mine still slightly leaks i just recently changed out the dust/cover gasket because it was pouring out behind the shaft , do this take the spocket off and the chain put it in neutral and let it run the shaft should spin on its own and you can see where the oil is coming from , i had a dickhead tried to steal my back tire left a bolt loose and i didnt know it going up on one on the hhighway and the rim shifted and the chain popped off , if you find the leak let me know i took mine to the dealer ship and they did the same thing but its still leaking

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
MORE JB WELD!

blue03r6 got it right. It leaks when its on because thats when oil is being pumped to that area. When the chain takes out the engine case like that, it normally takes it out right next to the output shaft bearing, which explains why it only leaks when i gear, because thats when the bearing is spinning. Your best bet is to clean the area really really well, and throw a crapton more JB weld on there. If you care to spend a bit of money, frame shops will weld it back up for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for all the input guys.. The bike does not leak besides when In gear and riding so it makes me think that it is leaking from the (Seal or gasket or whatever that is that surrounds the crank shaft that holds the front sprocket. any more opinions about that theory of mine?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.