Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

i tried posting this in my original thread about the bike but doesnt look like its getting any attention so here goes...

i rode the bike back wednesday, 60 miles from the dealership. couldnt get it out until saturday, got it to a friends and finally noticed it was dripping oil... i dont think it was a slow drip either there wasnt a puddle but quite a few drops.

im going to call them tomorrow... should they have to fix something like this? i was aware it was laid down once. the dealer said they just did a full service so not to worry about it... i would've thought they'd see something like this.

what kind of oil should i put in it, if any? ..this kid i know said not to mix different types so i shouldnt put any in. wtf?

·
Registered
129 Posts
you have to replace that part. it doesnt look that bad in my opinion but you might wanna make sure that the bolts are torque down to spec. that might be the only reason why u would be leaking oil on a intact crank cover.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the bolt was a little loose... it almost feels stripped because i've turned it twice completely and it hasnt came to a point where it is completely tight. i went up the block and the oil light turned on.

what should i do about the oil??

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
the bolt was a little loose... it almost feels stripped because i've turned it twice completely and it hasnt came to a point where it is completely tight. i went up the block and the oil light turned on.

what should i do about the oil??
Screws all over my r6 got stripped in the first month of moding it, working on it, etc. Thats the only thing that has pissed off so far.

And those push pins... you don't even want me to there. :D

·
Premium Member
1,668 Posts
Behind that plate is an O-ring. Remove the plate to see if either there is a crack in the cap, or block. If there is warranty! Another thing is to use motorcycle oil only! The oil has additives in it for the tranny. I have no clue what oil is in your bike. From what I would assume ( ASSUME ) they would use Yamalube since it was done by the dealer. If you think the bolt hole is stripped take the bolt out, and get a tap. Re-tap the hole, and use some blue locktite.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i just put in some Pennzoil SAE 10w-30.

i cleaned around that loose/leaking bolt and have rode it around town for different periods of time all afternoon. i dont see any more leaking.

i'm going to do a full oil change tomorrow with the Yamaha oil specifically.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
i just put in some Pennzoil SAE 10w-30.

i cleaned around that loose/leaking bolt and have rode it around town for different periods of time all afternoon. i dont see any more leaking.

i'm going to do a full oil change tomorrow with the Yamaha oil specifically.
Why dont you fix the problem that was causing it in the 1st place?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts