Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 R6
Just bought this bike knowing it had Ben laid down on the right not much damage just some scraping.
Overnight it must have leaked a good bit of oil on the garage floor. I took off the lower fairing to inspect but can’t seem to find the source.
There was a good bit of oil everywhere starting on the lower half of the side cover. There seemed to be oil on the one metal line that’s a U. Lots of oil on the inside of the fairing.
Is there any particular spots to look out for? I didn’t find any cracks like I was expecting.
This my first sport bike so kinda new to this.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
So im willing to put money down that the problem is the last picture you linked. The one with the 6 bolts and the small cover in the center.

that actually has you oil pump inside. So the cover may or may not be good i cant tell through pictures. You will have to look very close and make that call. However there is a gasket that sits under it that’s probably come out of place. Pick one of from a yamaha dealer its like 10 bucks. The cover is about 80-100 bucks if you want to replace that too.

i had to do same thing to the bike i picked up after the guy laid it down. Part prices are for my 03 but i can’t imagine yours being drastically different in price. If the dealer doesn’t have it or you dont like their price. Check partzilla used them and there good quality

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Spray the oil off with carb cleaner and strategically place stickers around suspect areas as leak-indicators. Run the engine for awhile, turn it off and inspect later. Problem is, wind will spread things around nicely. So if you ride it, you'll be pretty much back in the same fog.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts