Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago I slow lowside at about 10-15mph on the right hand side. Everything looked fine at the time. The next week I got into a really bad accident on my dirt bike which put me in the hospital for 8 days. I did some real damage to myself on that one but now that I'm up and moving around I'm prepping my 09 r6 (the one I had the low speed low side on) for sale. While going over it with a fine tooth comb to sell it I noticed a oil leak. After searching for it I found it coming out the bottom of this cover. I'm not quite sure what to call this cover as I haven't gone to far into these motors. What would you suggest I do to fix it? I haven't done any research (which I will be doing after tomorrow) to know if it's just a gasket bolt or I need a new case. I figured you guys might know and can help me out before I go digging for answers. I've seen a bunch of other R6 riders go down at the track so I figured someone might know.
Thanks for any help

The oil leak is coming out of the bottom of this cover

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
Damn, sorry to hear about your wreck. Hope you recover fully.

That cover is usually called the ignition pickup cover, and yea, it probably just needs a new gasket.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will a 06/07 cover work on the 09 motor? They look really similar. The only one on eBay for an 09 they want $400!!!!! The 06/07 one is like $35.

Or is anyone on here selling one by chance?

·
Just lean harder...
887 Posts
It doesn't look like the case cover is damaged, so you probly don't have to replace it unless it bothers you cosmetically. That bolt on the bottom is damaged and needs to be replaced, the bolts can yield (stretch) from an impact. You will probly notice they are actually loose, just replace any that are damaged and re tighten the case cover.

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
$400? That guy is on crack. Dealership retail is only $104, and nice aftermarket ones are just a few bucks more. Yes, the 06/07 part is identical, so you can buy one of those. A new gasket is $10 and if you want to replace the bracket holding the clutch cable, those are only $11. So you can have it looking new for pretty cheap.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes that's why I posted I thought it was halrious. One of great forum members hooked me up with the cover gasket and even threw in the screws for $30. And yes the cosmetics matter to me because I'm selling the bike soon. The wife wants me off the streets after my last accident so I want the bike to be perfect for the next owner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts