Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright. I recently bought an 05 R6 and had no lights on the cluster illuminated. I went to change the oil, and refilled it to specifications. I restarted the bike and now the oil level light keeps flashing at me. I’ve heard that it could be an electrical problem, and I’ve heard it could be a simply not having enough oil in the engine. I checked the level on the stick and it does look kind of low, even though I put exactly as much as Yamaha recommends. Advice?

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,120 Posts
The oil should be checked with the bike straight up and down, insert the dipstick but don’t thread it in.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,204 Posts
Is it 19f outside and the oil is thick? Mine traps oil until it warms up a few minutes when the block is below 40f.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If the bike is flashing the light , its bc there´s not enough oil in it, or too much. How is the dipstick? The level should be near the medium (half) [or above] the dipstick. Has happened to me before, on High rpm. and I added like 0.2-0.3L of oil and it stopped flashing. But, you could see on my dipstick that it was low. It was below half, and yes, she takes more oil than Yamaha recommends, a lil bit. At least mine does, always did, regular services, never had a problem with her.

Just that one time, I did put less oil and she flashed the oil light for 1-2 day, but not on start up, or normal riding, mostly when I pulled her hard, but I think once or twice during normal riding. Then I just bought a bottle of oil , added the oil, been 3 years since that. Never again, I asked my local Yamaha mechanic, and he also thought she was low on oil, and that I should add, he also stated that this bike was super picky. She had oil to run OK, other bikes would not throw the code light most likely. The r6 was just giving the light for that reason. If you look around, you can easily find many forums, regarding how sensible that sensor really is on the r6, so yea. Î think the bike does not know how much pressure it has, but it knows the quantity, too much/too little oil and the quantity changes and is not OK for the system --> light comes up.

Can you relate to my problem? Don't overfill her with oil, it could be something else. I just think from what I´ve read that you are low, but check the dipstick. Photo would be good. Not sure if I helped you or not. That´s just my 2cent.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Is it 19f outside and the oil is thick? Mine traps oil until it warms up a few minutes when the block is below 40f.
His is oil level. Yours might be pressure. Id have to lookat a manual. My R1 is oil pressure.
The older r6 could be finicky with oil level. Most guys were afraid to fill the engine up all the way and always had the light come on. Me personally filled mine with all 3 quarts. Instead of having that little bit left over. My bike had over 50k on it when i sold it it doesnt hurt it

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,204 Posts
2017 is a level float switch. And until oil drained back fast enough it would come on.

·
2 wheels > 4 wheels
100 Posts
Happened to me during the first couple of runs this season when the oil was still like honey.
Make sure you have enough oil in there, and that the filter and drain bolts are torqued correctly with no leaks. That should be all. If you're still not convinced, run something like 5W-30 or lower for a few miles, and then switch back to 10W-40 or 5W-40.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts