Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this summer, I purchased a (used) 2004 R6. Lately, my oil light flicks on periodically. Usually just when I drive up a steep hill from the harbor/base. The light stays on for all of 5-10 seconds; by the time I've leveled out it's off again.

I've topped off the oil level with sae10w30. I rode 1200km... 750mi? since then, and the short light-up of my oil light has returned. Dip stick says I'm down to 1/8th the stick. I'm another thousand km from scheduled maintenance. There's been unusual amounts of gunk building up on the bike's kickstand. It looks like really thick, congealed oil is mixed with the gunk; so I might have a leak.

Basically, I'm hoping someone in the knowledgeable group here may have ideas where my oil's going (could I be burning it?). Also, should take off the plastics and do a full oil/filter change now and perhaps be closer to diagnosing/solving the problem? or just band-aid the situation by topping it off again and holding out for the maintenance? I've changed oil in vehicles at work before, but never the bike; so I don't even know where the filter is (will read manual/search forum). Thanks for input.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If your Crankcase Vent is Going back into your Air Box you wont be able to notice, But I suspect if you were to route it elsewhere you would notice smoke. Possible Blow-By excess....which Pionts to Piston Rings being shott.
Im having a simmilar issue. Light came on last night, Oil was Dry. Im Burnning!!!

·
My R6 loves me...
43 Posts
I just started having this same problem. the Oil light comes on for a few secs than goes off. I need help as I'm a bike mechanic noob.:dunce:

·
yamaha for life
811 Posts
hey check and see if your water pump housing is leaking. mine was leaking for the longest time and had a lot of oil lost too. something like a quart low. bike had horrible compression until i replaced the whole water pump housing. now it runs like it just came out of the crate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts