Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a 2001 Yamaha R6, that has roughly 10,000 miles on it. I bought it last January with 4,300 miles on it.

Just recently after I changed the oil I was riding and the oil light came on...then after a few minutes it shut off.

Then a few weeks ago, I was doing a group ride to the AMAs and the light came on again. We pulled off to the side of the road, and checked my dip stick, and the oil was at the correct level and it wasn't dirty at all. Then I started my bike up again, and a few min later the light was off.

I'm puzzled by this phenomenon. :confused::confused:

I use Mobile-1 Synthetic oil and change oil every 3-4k miles.

Any one have any ideas???

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
Um not over filled? The sensor on the first gens are really sensitive. Make sure that you're not over-filled. Also, did you change your filter on your last change? Clogged filter can also cause that.

To me, however sounds like over filled or similar symptoms since it'll go off after a few minutes.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am 99.9% positive that I didn't over fill the oil capacity. I did replace the filter with Mobile-1 oil filter

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mine has done that before just after an oil change. I ended up adding a couple ounces of oil and it stopped. I fill it till it reaches the very top of the hatching now and I've never had any trouble since.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts