Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey got a question. I'm a new owner of a R6 my bike has less than 11k miles on it and I did a oil change when I bought the machine. Placed about 2100 miles on the bike since the oil change, and already got the warning light. Is that normal for these machines? I'm coming off vintage early 90's 1100's and other big bore sport bikes I rebuilt. I always did a 3k oil change if I was not going crazy.

checked to make sure I didn't blow any oil out, bike is still spotless so assuming it just ate more oil then expected?

·
2003 R6
141 Posts
Hey got a question. I'm a new owner of a R6 my bike has less than 11k miles on it and I did a oil change when I bought the machine. Placed about 2100 miles on the bike since the oil change, and already got the warning light. Is that normal for these machines? I'm coming off vintage early 90's 1100's and other big bore sport bikes I rebuilt. I always did a 3k oil change if I was not going crazy.

checked to make sure I didn't blow any oil out, bike is still spotless so assuming it just ate more oil then expected?

Yeah, my oil light randomly comes on. I have an 07 R6. I just add a little more oil or turn the bike off and back on and it goes away. Probably just the float getting stuck I assume. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, so the oil was certainly low. I throw a 1/3 of fresh oil into the machine for now. Do the R6's normally chew through oil this quickly?

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
just to be sure, you had the bike straight up and down when you measured it with the dipstick, right? If the bike is on the kickstand, it will read low.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
I know it sounds stupid, but you would be amazed how many people i see do stupid shit like that. Hell, one of my buddies wondered why his bike wasnt showing full on the sight glass when he had dumped 9 quarts of oil in it. I looked for about 15 seconds and saw he didnt put the drain plug back in. Some people just don't know any better.

Oh yeah...that buddy was a GSXR rider.

·
your gunna love my nuts!
171 Posts
I have an 08 with about 6000 miles, owned it 2 years now and have done 2 oil changes and NEVER had to even top it off.... always holds its level and I have never seen the oil light come on. That's with a decent amount of "spirited" riding involved. You are definitely loosing oil somewhere. Strip the fairings and start investigating.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Already done a full inspection of the bike. It's spotless. I wash it twice a week in a wash rack, and every sunday it gets a full plastic tear down and I check the torque of all the bolts and screws. World is full of mystery, but a leaking bike is not one of them. I'll be doing a oil change this weekend, and make sure I measure and check levels out after a week or two to make sure though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts