Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I done a search on this but could not find any answers. I warmed up my bike today before heading off to work and all seemed normal. I was driving in second gear for about 5 seconds, made a right hand turn when something on the cluster caught my eye. I glanced down and the little oil light in the rpm gauge was on. As soon as I seen this I slowed down and getting ready to stop, as I looked down again the light was out. I checked the oil quantity( added about a 1/4 of a liter, that filled it to the top line on the dipstick) and antifreeze quantity and it was ok. Do you guys have any idea what may have cause this?

thanks

·
Registered
963 Posts
Yeah, it's just a low oil problem. The oil light may not not stay on all the time, but if you kept riding around, it'll come on again. Not too good for the engine if you do a long ride. The low oil problem may be a number of things: Did you replace any parts where oil may have leaked out like the engine cap/stator cover?

If you get another low oil problem, and you didn't replace any parts or what not, you engine may be burning oil, but only your mechanic will be able to tell you for sure.

But adding more oil to your engine will take care of your problem.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't changed any parts since I've owned the bike. II did an oil change about 2800km's ago. I have worked on Yamahas in the past being quads etc and I noticed they do burn a bit of oil...Maybe that was what my problem is. But I didn't realize the sensor was so sensitive cause the oil level on the dip stick was half was in the safe ban...

I guess sensitivity is the answer..I'll keep everyone posted if it happens again.

This is going to be a stupid question but when I check the oil, make sure the bike is level and just put the dip stick in the hole and not screw it in, right. This is what the yamaha mechanic told me and in my haynes service manual, it tells me to screw the dip stick in...What does everyone do here??? Sorry for the amature question

·
Registered
65 Posts
I screw it all the way in, on level ground while sitting on it to keep it straight up.(not on kickstand in other words) Far as your other prob I am not sure, I would just stop and check level, maybe a bad sensor or just plain low on oil.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
i had a similar experience

one time i was doing a wheelie for so long the oil light came on but i didnt want to put the wheelie down, but i did because i didnt want to **** up my bike. once it was down for a few the light went off

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
629 Posts
I also had that problem with my oil light coming on but not staying on long. Drain all your oil out and add new. Check the consistancy of the oil. My oil looked burnt. After I put in new oil I haven't had that problem again and I change the oil more often now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks alot guys...its appreciated

1 - 8 of 8 Posts