Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
07 R6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my 07 R6 has been sitting for hours example at work for 12hrs or home and upon start up it idles fine I don't pull away till temp reaches 150 or higher , but about a block down the road leaving oil light pops on on the dash for a minute then goes away to never return until the next ride after many hours of sitting. I am confused the bike has the correct amount of oil and the sensor in the back is not loose and I'm not loosing any power or or hearing anything out of the ordinary. I did do an oil change and was only able to pick up a k&n oil filter and I am using amsoil metric 10w/40 full synthetic , and live in az where temps are at 102-106 right now any ideas ? Thank you everyone.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,253 Posts
How are you checking your oil level. Bike straight up and down, not screwing in the dipstick? Where is the level on the dipstick?

·
Registered
07 R6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How are you checking your oil level. Bike straight up and down, not screwing in the dipstick? Where is the level on the dipstick?
I have the bike level on front and rear stands and I measured out the recommendation 2.75 for filling back up with fresh oil and filter

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,253 Posts
That’s just a ballpark. Check the dipstick and top it off. You should be level, insert the dipstick without screwing it in, and the level should be close to the full mark.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,318 Posts
Is the front holding the axle parallel to the rear?

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Could be borderline low. Try revving it up at a stand-still.

Filling it on the kickstand, level ground, fully inserting the dipstick is how this dipstick did it for YEARS before reading that Yami wants it straight-up and down on a bike-stand without threading the dispstick.

I've measured both ways and doing it off the bike stand merely results with an "over" fill. (because the dipstick is opposite the kick-stand and fully threading it doesn't have enough of an impact to off-set that)

Over filling for years, never had any negative effects under all angles and nearly all conditions. Two conditions it hasn't seen much or any of, is high-RPM side-to-side flinging.

(note: given that more oil stays cleaner longer I actually went back to over-filling)

====================================

Level proving to be correct and/or sufficient...

I believe it just has an oil level switch and doesn't operate based on oil pressure.

Appears that it just has a white wire running off of it that feeds directly back to the gauge cluster. Guessing that the light illuminates when resistance to ground dips below a certain level.

Perform a "voltage drop" test between engine casing and battery negative. You can drain the oil enough that it closes the switch; activate the circuit and voltage drop test between the wire for the switch and ground. There could be a problem if there's more than a six percent loss.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
BTW, idling to 150 isn't necessary. Just make sure it's reading a temp... which starts displaying at either 104 or 106. Running very poorly when cold, in my experiences has been lean condition; and need to enrich the mixture.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,318 Posts
Wait. Yamidingdong specs rear stand only or bith stands to check oil? I just sit on her to balance and never thread my stick in.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,253 Posts
Wait. Yamidingdong specs rear stand only or bith stands to check oil? I just sit on her to balance and never thread my stick in.
level surface. I always check it either by picking it up off the kick stand, or on my lift with the front tire in the clamp.

The attached is from the 2006 manual:

·
Registered
07 R6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I had actually under filled it I really feel dumb 😑🙈 thank you all for the replies and the pictures explaining the process.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Thanks for the follow up. 👍
I only know one person who never seems to make a mistake and he just happened to be a former office holder of our presidency.

EDIT: ...and because there may be some Donald follower reading this; that was pure sarcasm. ALL the man does is screw up and screw over... and the overwhelming majority of his also crooked party ain't too far behind him. SOBs will have us fourth class to Russia.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,318 Posts
Now you got me thinking, it's been 3500 miles since I changed my oil.. maybe I should cut the safety wire and check MY level.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts