Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
08 Yamaha R6
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I changed the oil on my 08 R6 for the first time, and I am not a newbie to changing oil, but I seem to have an issue and I am wondering if anyone else has seen this. Any way after the oil change I let the bike run a bit with no issues then I shut it down let it set a bit checked oil level which is perfect. So I took the bike a ride, and about a half mile down the road the oil light came on so I pulled over right away, and the oil light turned off before I shutdown the bike, so I continued to ride with no issues. Check everything out when I got home, and oil level still good no oil leaking. So the next day I had the same issue light came on for a minute this time I shutdown the bike, and started it back up, and the light went off, and never came back on. Then same thing today just came on and then went off after just a second. I went with amsoil 10W-40, and a K&N filter. I am just thinking about changing the oil again tomorrow just to see what happens with things. If anyone has ever seen this before I would love some help. I know if the oil level was low there is a possibility of this happening, but the oil level is good I have checked several different times.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
also, im interested in your wheels on ebay. these are the exact same for the 07 r6 correct?? i need a second set to throw some track tires on

·
08 Yamaha R6
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the bike up on front and rear stands when I am checking the oil, so I don't think that it is the oil level. As for the rims they are the same as the 07 I actually have 07 rims on my 08.

·
08 Yamaha R6
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
did you figure out the problem? i am having a similar issue

I actually did, but I am not sure what fixed it. I just backed off the filter, and put it back on then I put about a 1/4 of a quart of oil in. Seemed to fix my issue.

·
Registered
479 Posts
the 1/4 quart fixed it. fwiw, my 00 r6 owners manual stated that even with the correct amount of oil in the bike the light may still flick on and off during hard acceleration or hard braking. im sure the newer gens bikes are the same as well. the r6's oil level indicators are just set-up to show any loss of oil level as a mechanical safety net:cheers

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have had a little problem with the oil light on my 06. Changed the oil one day and started to see the light come on when it was about 150 degs. drove me nuts. I changed the filter and its been fine since.

Went to the track recently. About 2 weeks after that I started to notice the light coming on again on warm up. It happen 3 days in a row. checked the oil and it was a quart low. Not sure if there all the same but, if i ride really hard for a long time my bike eats oil. I topped it off and havnt seen the light since.

hope this helps
DK

·
Registered
128 Posts
first oil change on my 08. light came on right away. im using a amsoil filter with drain back vavle. perhaps i have trapped air. as previously stated i will remove filter and fill it with oil . hopefully this will solve issue as filter sits up high horizontally.

·
Registered
128 Posts
played with the filter amsoil. light comes on before i even start the bike. let it idle for a few minutes put it in gear light will not go out. filter heats up so oil is passing through. the cam sounds dampened so its getting oil. dip stick is good.

the fact that the light stays on before i even start the thing is fustrating. i hate dealing with the dealer. where is the sensor located. is it near the oil drain bolt, there is a wire going there. does it monitor pressure. i will take the chance and drive it to work. i guess heat would be the tell tale sign theres an issue

·
Registered
128 Posts
took the chance and took it out. after reving over 4k light went away.

man was i happy. only 1200 more miles before i can open this thing up

·
Team Blue
311 Posts
played with the filter amsoil. light comes on before i even start the bike. let it idle for a few minutes put it in gear light will not go out. filter heats up so oil is passing through. the cam sounds dampened so its getting oil. dip stick is good.

the fact that the light stays on before i even start the thing is fustrating. i hate dealing with the dealer. where is the sensor located. is it near the oil drain bolt, there is a wire going there. does it monitor pressure. i will take the chance and drive it to work. i guess heat would be the tell tale sign theres an issue

Yes, the low level indicator is on the bottom of the pan. It's not a pressure switch, it's just a float that slides up & down with the oil level and obviously, if the oil level gets too low and the float drops down far enough, the light will kick on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hy from the other side of the world!
I´m Nano from Argentina, and i have a 2007 R6 white&red (European version).

Is important to know that the oil sensor in the Yamaha R6 is NOT an oil pressure sensor, is just an oil LEVEL sensor.
So if we loose oil pressure in the engine we will only know when we see the pistons flying in front of us! :jester

I have comments that this is a "normal" thing in this Yamaha bikes. The oil level sensor sometimes get stuck and the light turns on. I heard about the same problem in R1s too.

But is important to check the oil level WITHOUT SCREWING THE STICK IN!!
If we check the oil level screwing the stick in, we´ll see a false reading thinking we have more oil that really are.

I hope to be helpfull and sorry for my english.

Nano

·
My R6 loves me...
43 Posts
I'm having the same issue. Unfortunately, I'm a bike oil change noob and don't know what to do bc this is my first bike...point me in the right direction guys...:dunce:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts