Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
should I
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I recently got some oil on my rear brake pads and disc, and the only reason I'm asking this is cause the brake pads are fairly new so I was just wondering, are they good as dead or is there any way to salvage them without jeopardizing safety?

Thanks

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
could spray the crap out of em with brake clean, and as far as i'm aware.. myself and maybe 3 other people on the planet actually use the rear brake :) If this was the front brake pads, i would say replace em.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
Oil on brake pads = replace them

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
Oil on brake pads = replace them
This.

Even if you go with some of the most expensive brakes, it is still less than 50 bucks to replace them. Bite the bullet. Replace the pads. Don't spill oil on them again. They will last for a long ass time. I basically never touch the rear brake except if I am doing a wheelie. If it weren't for that, I think my rear brakes would probably last forever.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
just for posterity .. how much oil we talking about. Were they soaked? a few drops? And we are talking about rear brakes. Just keeping things real here. They won't explode, they won't throw you over the bars, i just don't know it's such a serious issue with the rear brake pads.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I mean, how much is a set of rear pads, anyway? Like $40? You learned a $40 lesson about taking care of your shit and being careful. :laugh

·
should I
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the good replies,
Ya it's not a money issue, just more curious than anything.

For the question of how much oil, well they got soaked, was cruising along on the highway and felt my leg start to get warm, then warmer, then hot. Looked down and the oil filler cap had come loose and vibrated off, side of the bike was soaked, including my leg. So ya the pads and discs were drenched in oil, including the back quarter side of the bike, that shit will get into every nook and crany there is!!!!!

I'm just gonna go ahead and switch them for new ones, I'm thinking though that the disc should be alright?

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
Thanks everyone for the good replies,
Ya it's not a money issue, just more curious than anything.

For the question of how much oil, well they got soaked, was cruising along on the highway and felt my leg start to get warm, then warmer, then hot. Looked down and the oil filler cap had come loose and vibrated off, side of the bike was soaked, including my leg. So ya the pads and discs were drenched in oil, including the back quarter side of the bike, that shit will get into every nook and crany there is!!!!!

I'm just gonna go ahead and switch them for new ones, I'm thinking though that the disc should be alright?
Clean the shit out of the disc and use a good degreaser on it, then let it dry real well. That will take care of the rotor.

edit: Cleaning it that well may be a bit overkill, but if you are going to do it, you may as well do it right.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
If you forget to tighten your dipstick you will have a similar problem.
I sprayed degreaser and scuffed the pads/rotor with 180 grit and gave everything a quick brake cleaner spray. The pain was cleaning the swingarm, engine bolt, and linkage areas. If you dont have a catch pan... be careful. Motul sucks to clean off but you can play CSI with a UV light if you do happen to spill or puke some

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
Clean the shit out of the disc and use a good degreaser on it, then let it dry real well. That will take care of the rotor.

edit: Cleaning it that well may be a bit overkill, but if you are going to do it, you may as well do it right.
:yes:yes:yes

·
Registered
150 Posts
I wonder if you spray the crap out of it with brake cleaner & set it on fire, that would cause oil to seep out of the pads. Just an idea. I fck around w/ lots of things on the bike including repairing my fairings w/hot glue, but I never ever screw around w/anything that has to do w/brakes. But then again I use rear brakes once or twice a year when I run off track.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
I'd clean it and try it out. I cut the back half of my pad off once experimenting. Brakes enough for a lil trail braking but no matter how hard I pushed it would never lock up

1 - 15 of 15 Posts