Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buddy of mine changed his oil in his bike today and put it 10w-30 Castrol GTX. Sounds like a noob question but Ive never real thought about it till today. Is it harmful in anyway to put car oil in a bike?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Buddy of mine changed his oil in his bike today and put it 10w-30 Castrol GTX. Sounds like a noob question but Ive never real thought about it till today. Is it harmful in anyway to put car oil in a bike?
I run 10w-30. As long as it's not "energy conserving" you should be fine. If it is, he could have slipping problems with the clutch.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
some people say its bad, some say it doesnt matter. i know guys hat have run energy conserving oil for 35k with no problems from the clutch. i think there may be SOME SPECIFIC OILS(of which i dont know what they are) that cause problems, but think you are fairly safe using it. its almost like the wd40 for chain lube thing. some people do it, some people dont.

now personally, i run the amsoil 10w40 mcf

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
why would you do this though? if theres a danger of damaging anything.. just buy some motor specific oil.. wtf not. unless your stranded and need oil and its all you got and ur gonna flush it after that why the hell would you even risk it.

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
why would you do this though? if theres a danger of damaging anything.. just buy some motor specific oil.. wtf not. unless your stranded and need oil and its all you got and ur gonna flush it after that why the hell would you even risk it.
because the price point is quite different.

·
Forum Moderator
3,117 Posts
I run 10w-30. As long as it's not "energy conserving" you should be fine. If it is, he could have slipping problems with the clutch.
Bingo... :stupic Make sure you read the bottle. Energy conserving means more moly which can cause your clutch to slip. I ran Castrol GTX in my old YZF 600R and never had any issues. I also ran Mobil One red cap synthetic years ago in my '03 R1 with no problems.

But, why not just run a motorcycle specific oil? isn't your bike worth it? Valvoline makes a good mineral oil made for bikes for only a few dollars a quart and you can get it at most auto parts stores.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
so spend 3-5$ more per quart... or risk buying a new bike/engine in a few k miles... i dono i think ill cough up a lincoln every oil change to not worry for sure.
you arent risking needing a new engine. the big point of worry here is the clutch. doing the clutch is easy, and isnt that costly if you do it yourself

·
I <3 Slick Mist.
1,378 Posts
Oh we can fight about that for a LONG time. I've been running oil designed for diesel engines with no problem.

There's about 23498237598265982345675478457 x 434657568679679 threads about this on here already.
fixed it for you

I just wouldn't know why you would take the risk. Even if it's cheaper. Paying a little extra every xxxx miles is better than replacing an engine. Even if tests show that it doesn't damage anything.. I'd still be hesitant.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
fixed it for you

I just wouldn't know why you would take the risk. Even if it's cheaper. Paying a little extra every xxxx miles is better than replacing an engine. Even if tests show that it doesn't damage anything.. I'd still be hesitant.
I can point you to sources that show how what I'm running is just as good if not better than "motorcycle specific" oil. It's not a matter of saving a few bucks, it's also a matter of convenience. I can just go to Wally World 2 min away and pick up my oil rather than having to scour for motorcycle oil.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've ran Castrol syntec for Volkswagen/bmw cars (5-40) for over 5 years in my 01 track bike. NO issues. As long as it doesn't say energy conserving on the bike you are fine, trust me. I also run mobil one red cap car oil in my 08 r1 with no issues. Why spend more on the same type of oil. Do you guys really believe there is that big of a difference in the motorcycle oil and the car oil that doesn't say energy conserving? Because trust me, there isn't. I've never ran "motorcycle" oil in any motorcycle that i can recall. Oil on boys!

·
Malleus Deus
48 Posts
If you are on an island and it's too damn difficult to get motorcycle oil then I understand but why not just buy motorcycle oil....or does this make too much sense.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts