Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What gear are you guys in when cruising around town going about 35-38 mph? I've been cruising in sixth, is that wrong? I mean, it's making a little ticking, constantly, and pretty fast. Not to loud, but loud enough that I can hear it faintly. It doesn't make that deep sound like when you're in a gear to high, but it's just like a buzzing kinda... what do you guys think?

-Solace

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think that 5th and 6th gear should pretty much be used for highway speeds. If your cruising around town in 6th, what are you showing on the tach? 6th gear in town is no fun, you have to power. These bikes have a sky-high red line, so there is a lot of tach to use there!

·
Registered
327 Posts
You didn't tell me in this post that you were breaking the engine in still......You still shouldn't use 6th in town though. Bogging the engine down is really bad for it in the break-in period. It's never good, but it's REALLY bad in the first 1000 miles. You should still be able to cruise around town, and break your engine in, without going over the break-in rpm in 4th gear.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it still doesn't feel bogged down... and I know what that feels like because being in like second or third when I should've been a gear higher. Sixth in town feels fine, but it's that weird sound, not a feel, but sound. A guy I know said it might be chain slap, or chain lash... or something to do with the chain, maybe chain lag. But, the RPM's feel right for about 35 and above in sixth for around town. I'm just not used to the high rev engine... what do you guys usually cruise in. Give me like a whole range from like this example:

1st gear... 0-15
2nd ... 16-25
and so on please... kinda like a chart for cruising and move'n!

Thanks guys (and gals)...

-Solace

·
Registered
327 Posts
Well, you can do 157 in 6th....so..... I couldn't really tell you what gears and what speeds, I just listen to the bike, and when I do glance down, it is just to check my speed, or to look at the tach. I'm going on a ride tomorrow, so I'll try to pay attention to what speeds I shift.
Think of this though: If you put your bike in 6th at 35....that means you could ride it all the way out to 157, let's say 160. That means you are using 125mph worth of gear! What are all the other gears for?
I'm not trying to tell you how to ride your bike, I'm jsut trying to tell you that 6th gear at 35, or at any in-town speeds is a little....different.

Is the sound coming from under the gas tank, or from the rear of the bike? Is it a tick, tap, knock? Does it do it when you are stopped, or only when you are riding?
Have you checked the chain tension? It's in the manual.
How many miles are on your bike?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I just got done typing a whole smeal about this.........then it woudn't post for some reason.

Any how, long version short.

Change oil AND filter after 500 miles. Running it up to 8 to 9000 rpms in 4th.

Go to whatever oil you want, I chose Mobile1 15w50 (love it). Run it as hard as you want to, but sparingly, you'll have to change again at 1000 miles. Good point to consider your cheaper 10w40 yamalube etc.. espeacially since it's getting colder out.

Now, your break-in is done, ride it like you hate it :mrgreen:

Also about the noise, yamaha's valve train is noisy as fahq, so is the tranny, common. Very rare that a CCT is bad etc. that is causing the noise (common Honda problem)

Just remember, it's your high-performance sport bike, ride it like it is :twisted:

·
Registered
327 Posts
RedlineR6,
He's not asking about engine break-in, he wants to know what gear you ride around town in, and had a question about the noise. Mine doesn't make any engine, or valvetrain noise. Some engines do make rattling noises that pose no danger, some don't.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have about 250 miles on my bike to date. After today, I'll probably be close to like 300 to 350 miles.

-Solace

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Oops :mrgreen: See what PWD will get done for ya. I somehow, kinda posted for two different posts there.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I dont think you should ride looking at the speedo and thinking what gear am I in. Of course you have to dodge the cops if your not gonna look at the speedo but there is a reason you have a big bright tacho in the center of the console. Ride by your revs. If your cruising i find 3-4k is fine. If im riding in the city i keep it around 6k ( a bit of a burst can get you out of a lot of sticky situations ) if you going out for a hard run these machines will rev all day long so 7k would be a minimum unless on a big straight at high speed. You'll find after many miles and good familiarity with your bike it'll just start to feel right. Run your machine in right and don't bog your engine with low revs. :burnout

·
Registered
836 Posts
I try to keep it at 7k or a bit higher.

Of course, that puts me right next to the dip in torque. I don't really look down, I just try to listen to the engine. Sometimes I find myself cruising at 9k, others at 5k.

It was a shock going from my GPz1100 to the R6. That thing pulled from any RPM. The 6 feels slow unless you keep the revs up.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I rode around town during my break-in in 2nd/3rd gear. At the speed your talking about I would likely be in 3rd. Unless i'm feeling playful, but that's another thread. :mrgreen: Stay outta 6th unless your cruisin' on the highway. Or! [Stealth Mode On]Of course, your cruisin' through town doing 120mph and don't want to draw quite as much attention to yourself. LOL :twisted: :twisted:
[/Stealth Mode Off ]

·
max speed
242 Posts
If I am riding around town staying under 40mph I use 3rd gear at the most. I usually short shift into second on uneven or bumpy roads cause then the power is smoother :jump

·
Registered
52 Posts
a good rpm to keep the bike cool and to keep the bike around where you can grab some power is around 5-6k, if your just rolling in town around 25mph-35mph i use 3rd.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts