Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2008 r6
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my rectifier and stator done a few months ago. Moisture has been accumulating at the seam. I clean it and seems to keep happening. Should I be worries for future problems? Am I able to help seal it? I have a spare gasket from yamaha and I believe they didnt get theirs from yamaha. Leave it? Or seal it? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 r6
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After examining the picture I noticed the dumbass mechanic screwed the case cover to tight. At the bolts there's a hair line crack or 2. Nothing seems to be leaking from it.
The bolt that is at the moisture spot in the pic is cracked a little. Not 100% sure if it's to the seam. Should I replace the cover?
Thank u

·
Registered
9 Posts
After examining the picture I noticed the dumbass mechanic screwed the case cover to tight. At the bolts there's a hair line crack or 2. Nothing seems to be leaking from it.
The bolt that is at the moisture spot in the pic is cracked a little. Not 100% sure if it's to the seam. Should I replace the cover?
Thank u
I'd change the gasket and call it done. If it start leaking, get yourself a woodcraft stator cover since you do track days. It's an easy process, I just did it to my 2017.

·
Registered
2008 r6
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd change the gasket and call it done. If it start leaking, get yourself a woodcraft stator cover since you do track days. It's an easy process, I just did it to my 2017.
I ended up changing the cover and gasket. I got oem yamaha parts. The mechanic used a copper colored gasket. Not sure what material it is. I couldn't find anything like it online. The cover bolts were so lose that I took them out by hand. I'm pretty sure I could've tightened them and the leak would've stopped 🤷‍♂️. Glad I changed it.
Thank u
Safe riding✌

·
Registered
2008 r6
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I meant to ask anyone that has opened up their stator. The bracket that holds the stator wire away from stator rubbed threw the protective rubber that covers the wires. One of the wires were exposed and making contact with the bracket. I wrapped electrical tape around the bare spot. Has this happened to anyone?? Is there a possibility the stator can short out from bare wire being exposed??
Thank u
Safe riding✌

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
@Barnes2721 - You're talking about abrasion damage. The electrical tape won't hold-up in that environment. The hot oil will dissolve that glue now. Memory serving, those wires should be wrapped in a mesh sleeve. The were very, very tightly pinched beneath that bracket on my 2nd-Gen. There was no way they could move. If they can't move, they can't be damaged by abrasion . You'll need to determine why those wires could move.

·
Registered
2008 r6
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Barnes2721 - You're talking about abrasion damage. The electrical tape won't hold-up in that environment. The hot oil will dissolve that glue now. Memory serving, those wires should be wrapped in a mesh sleeve. The were very, very tightly pinched beneath that bracket on my 2nd-Gen. There was no way they could move. If they can't move, they can't be damaged by abrasion . You'll need to determine why those wires could move.
I forgot to take a pic but I believe that is it. Not sure how it happened but it looked like the bracket sliced thru the protective adhesive that wraps around the wire. Either the stator or bracket was loose cuz after I reinstalled it there was no movement. Unfortunately I'll have to take it apart again to make sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
They used a lot of thread-locker on those bolts. Had trouble breaking most of the bolts free. I had to lock the stator cover in a bench-vise to get enough torque on one of them and ended up snapping off the bolt-head. Good thing was, that stator cover was getting replaced anyway. Bad thing was, finding a replacement bolt. Had to wait on delivery from https://mrcycles.com/ 😣

Now I'm trying to recall whether I used thread-locker during the reinstall... I think I did. 🤔 Yamaha did that for good reason. Make sure you also use thread-locker during the reinstall. Just don't have to use a crap-ton like Yami did. Just a bit on the tip is all.

·
Registered
2008 r6
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They used a lot of thread-locker on those bolts. Had trouble breaking most of the bolts free. I had to lock the stator cover in a bench-vise to get enough torque on one of them and ended up snapping off the bolt-head. Good thing was, that stator cover was getting replaced anyway. Bad thing was, finding a replacement bolt. Had to wait on delivery from https://mrcycles.com/ 😣

Now I'm trying to recall whether I used thread-locker during the reinstall... I think I did. 🤔 Yamaha did that for good reason. Make sure you also use thread-locker during the reinstall. Just don't have to use a crap-ton like Yami did. Just a bit on the tip is all.
Damn...
Ya I used a little thread locker on the 3 bolts that hold the stator in place. Completely forgot to use thread locker on the bracket and cover bolts🤦‍♂️. I'll be sure to use it next time I check on the wire I tapped up. What can I use to cover the exposed wire if or when the electrical tape gives??
I'll probably check it next oil change or the one after. I hope nothing happens if wire is exposed.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
What happens could depend on which wire; could be dumping one component of a raw/unchecked A/C current straight off to ground. I would worry about that overwhelming the withstand voltage or current on diode(s) in other components; particularly the ECU.

You can use high-temp split wire loom...
Light Line Font Rectangle Auto part

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
If the wire insulation has already been compromised, you might just have to replace the stator. Ricks Motor Sport supposedly sells some good ones though they aren't cheap. I don't know of a way to really protect that section of exposed wire, under those conditions.

·
Registered
2008 r6
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm 90% sure it was the woven mesh one on the left. I replaced the gasket and cover about a week to week and half ago. If I was to pull it apart, wrap wire in new mesh and place something between the wire mesh and bracket would that help? Put a cushion between bracket and wire were the contact point is?? Also, can I reused the gasket? Or get new one??
Thank u

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
The stock Yami gaskets I think come with a bead of sealant already on them. That would mean that the gaskets are intended to be one-time use. If it'll leak at all, it'll probably start leaking pretty quickly. Just have to monitor of course. Oil on rear tire = bad. Gaskets are cheap, it's just the waiting on them. I ordered backups.

Anything you stick in there, could end up in the oil pan pickup. Personally I'd avoid putting anything in there that might come loose. Reposition/shift the wire to change slack/tension points. Check to see whether you can slide the wire at the grommet where it enters/exits the chamber. I wonder whether there are zip-ties that can be 100% reliable in hot-oil environment longterm?

·
Registered
2008 r6
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ya they have sealant on few spots on oem gasket. I order an extra when it comes to certain parts. I'm going to the track October 14th. Looks like I'll be going bak in before I go to track. I'll research zip ties and other things that'll stand that type of heat and oil. Not sure if I can move the grommet to give some slack but I'll keep that in mind. Didnt realize how strong the magnet was. I'll be attempting it in a week or so.
Thank u again🙏

·
Registered
2008 r6
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Am I able to find the brand of stator if I have the part number?? I wanna kno if he put a cheap stator in. The gasket is a copper color. Any idea? I couldn't find anything that resembles that color gasket.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Lay the old/new gaskets on top of each other. If they match, nothing to worry about I think. If it's missing sealant, add a bit of your own per manual; keeping in mind that it has to be cleaned-off next time that cover is removed. The gasket I got from https://mrcycles.com/ was comparable or equal to OEM; matched OEM in appearance. I think they repackaged it for more efficient ship though.

·
Registered
2008 r6
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd like to kno the brand of stator he installed. I cant find anything that'll help me pin point the brand of stator with just the part number on the stator. He charged me about 630$ for stator and rectifier. At first I was told about 500$. Wanna make sure he didnt cheap out and end up replacing stator next summer. I have a yami gasket and ordered an extra.
Thank u

1 - 18 of 18 Posts