Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions i am fairly new to the site and i first off wanted to say how awsome it is how nice and friendly everyone is here! I hope to be a member and stay active for a long time, anyway my questions are... What are track days? is it just some time where you go for the weekend and ride your bike on a track non-competitively? how is a good way to get started with track days? or riding on a track? is there a day like this for noobs?

basically what i want to know how is the best way to get introduced to this style of riding? very curious

also does anyone have some pointers on taking sharp turns? i watch them all the time but i am scared to dip my knees to the ground? i would also like to know any good tips for riding and technique please and thank you!

·
Banned
2,583 Posts
Your going to need full gear, a 1pc Suit preferably. Prep your bike for the track and have a class when you first get there. I believe they put you in a group with beginners just like you. Of course other who have attended will help you out more but you should just search for the closest track near you and check out its website.

Here's a description of a "Track Day"

A track day is an organised event in which members of the public are allowed to drive or ride around established motor racing circuits, or alternatively (though far less common) on closed or disused airfields. Most race tracks around the world now provide this facility, whereby any road legal or track prepared vehicle, (car or motorcycle) can be used without speed restriction (as if racing, though the practice of actual racing is almost exclusively forbidden at these events) by members of the public. Criteria for being eligible to participate is usually the holding of a driving licence for the vehicle in question, and the payment of a fee. - Wikipedia.

·
Make noise.
12,089 Posts
Your going to need full gear, a 1pc Suit preferably. Prep your bike for the track and have a class when you first get there. I believe they put you in a group with beginners just like you. Of course other who have attended will help you out more but you should just search for the closest track near you and check out its website.

Here's a description of a "Track Day"

A track day is an organised event in which members of the public are allowed to drive or ride around established motor racing circuits, or alternatively (though far less common) on closed or disused airfields. Most race tracks around the world now provide this facility, whereby any road legal or track prepared vehicle, (car or motorcycle) can be used without speed restriction (as if racing, though the practice of actual racing is almost exclusively forbidden at these events) by members of the public. Criteria for being eligible to participate is usually the holding of a driving licence for the vehicle in question, and the payment of a fee. - Wikipedia.
^^^^This.

Check out your local track for classes, and as far as trying to drag a knee, definitely save that shit for the track. If you are riding that agressively on the street, I hope to god you don't wreck or get pulled over. All you'll do is make my insurance rates go up.

·
Banned
2,583 Posts
^^^^This.

Check out your local track for classes, and as far as trying to drag a knee, definitely save that shit for the track. If you are riding that agressively on the street, I hope to god you don't wreck or get pulled over. All you'll do is make my insurance rates go up.
:werd

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
I have a few questions i am fairly new to the site and i first off wanted to say how awsome it is how nice and friendly everyone is here! I hope to be a member and stay active for a long time, anyway my questions are... What are track days? is it just some time where you go for the weekend and ride your bike on a track non-competitively? how is a good way to get started with track days? or riding on a track? is there a day like this for noobs?

basically what i want to know how is the best way to get introduced to this style of riding? very curious

also does anyone have some pointers on taking sharp turns? i watch them all the time but i am scared to dip my knees to the ground? i would also like to know any good tips for riding and technique please and thank you!
track days are the most fun you can have on a motorcycle. no speed limits, no cops, no cars or other stationary objects to run into...

here's some on-board video of my buddy at a track day this past summer at putnam park:

here's one of me the same weekend:

VERY fun. words cannot describe it.

word of warning; it is EXTREMELY addictive. if you're not broke yet, you will be after you start doing these...

s3aturnr

p.s. don't drag knee on the street...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
track days are the most fun you can have on a motorcycle. no speed limits, no cops, no cars or other stationary objects to run into...

here's some on-board video of my buddy at a track day this past summer at putnam park:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rx0uvBEfR0

here's one of me the same weekend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hFtukxqI0A

VERY fun. words cannot describe it.

word of warning; it is EXTREMELY addictive. if you're not broke yet, you will be after you start doing these...

s3aturnr

p.s. don't drag knee on the street...
wow time out ! i live about 40 mins from putnam park its off 465 i think! but hey what do you mean thats were all your money goes does it cost a lot to do track riding? and a couple of things hes in 2nd gear in the first vid going 90 miles an hour? what in the world this is not how i run my bike on the street is that even safe? i guess i dont know much about shifting for track then and another thing i would like to go with some people maybe they could introduce me to my first track day?

·
I <3 Slick Mist.
1,378 Posts
wow time out ! i live about 40 mins from putnam park its off 465 i think! but hey what do you mean thats were all your money goes does it cost a lot to do track riding? and a couple of things hes in 2nd gear in the first vid going 90 miles an hour? what in the world this is not how i run my bike on the street is that even safe? i guess i dont know much about shifting for track then and another thing i would like to go with some people maybe they could introduce me to my first track day?
I live about 20 minutes off of Putnam Park. It's about 40 minutes west of 465 actually. It's off of US 40 heading west from Indy. I believe the road you turn on it 550.

I run at Putnam often and I will say, it's tough on the bike, if you're going to be riding it aggressively. Your 6 will do 90 in 2nd gear.. if it's stock gearing, redlining. He was pushing his bike in the vid. If you wanting to go ride sometime or even now shoot me a PM. Next track day is April 9th-10th and is hosted by the Midwest Cafe Racing Association. Let me know if you want some more info

Track days are addicting! :D

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
by broke, i mean that you will spend all your time and money on going to multiple track days and prepping your bike and buying gear. track days aren't cheap, but they're not terribly expensive. expect to pay between $100-$200 per day, usually with a slight discount if you sign up for both saturday and sunday.

yeah, 2nd gear and 90mph. he's on a stock-geared gixxer 750, tho. you shift either at redline or when the engine stops making power, whichever comes first. generally, newer bikes have a lot of "over-rev" which means you will probably shift slightly before redline. on my zx-6r, that meant somewhere between 14-16.5k rpm. if your bike is maintenanced properly, you can run it hard like that without issue. if you run your bike like this on the street, you are completely unsafe, so i'm not surprised that this is surprising to you. all of this stuff i learned AFTER i signed up for my first track day.

i actually spectated at a track day before i signed up for one, but it's not necessary. there's a LOT of friendly people that are more than willing to help out where they can. the longer you wait, the more you will kick yourself later. if i go to putnam next summer, you are welcome to stop by to hang out or (hopefully) paddock near me and participate in all the fun. check out www.nesba.com and see what you think...

s3aturnr

·
I'd Flip it :popcorn:
16,745 Posts
Track days are the Devil...And I am his spawn....

Track Days Are well worth the money, Then you get to a point (Were I am at now) that you want to go faster than what your bike has to offer. Between gear, tires, fuel, tires, suspension, fixing my bike after a crash, tires, track time, It adds up quick.

Track days WILL take a lot of money to get started, but once you aquire all that is needed it will be easier to do. A weekend for me (With my closest track now being 4 hours away) is about 800 with tires, fuel, food, lodging, and the track day itself.

BUT if you get in and run novice all the time, really all you need to pay for is the track day, and fuel, food. you will find out what I mean about tires once you start to get faster. I run a new set EVERY track day, the most I have used is an extra rear for the day.

Have fun, Listen to the CRs and DONT WORRY ABOUT WHAT IS BEHIND YOU :fact

·
I <3 Slick Mist.
1,378 Posts
i actually spectated at a track day before i signed up for one, but it's not necessary. there's a LOT of friendly people that are more than willing to help out where they can.

s3aturnr
I did the same thing. It helped so you're not just thrown into it, especially if you don't really have a background with it. It's like foreplay

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
I did the same thing. It helped so you're not just thrown into it, especially if you don't really have a background with it. It's like foreplay
for me it was almost a bad thing; someone had to be airlifted out when i was there watching. he fell off and another rider hit him. messed with my head for a long time afterwards...

s3aturnr

·
FastForward Performance
961 Posts
Sportbike Track Time usually starts up at Putnum the 1st or 2nd week of April. Great guys and well run trackdays. Follow the link below and you can find out everything you need about trackdays!
Like a few have said, it can be very addicting. I know many riders who after getting into trackdays have given up street riding. Tdub

·
16,745 Posts
Ill be at Putnam in Mid April :fact you should come out and play! Dont know whta class you run but I will be running Intermedate on Sat (I have not been to putnam in a few years) and Advanced on Sun the 16th and 17th

·
16,745 Posts
Sportbike Track Time usually starts up at Putnum the 1st or 2nd week of April. Great guys and well run trackdays. Follow the link below and you can find out everything you need about trackdays!
Like a few have said, it can be very addicting. I know many riders who after getting into trackdays have given up street riding. Tdub
I ran with these guys and they are a great org to ride with :fact

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
I ran with these guys and they are a great org to ride with :fact

i prefer NESBA, but i've done many STT days in the past. my only beef with STT is that no individual should be given the opportunity to run whatever group they think they want. a qualified instructor/control-rider should have that job. but i guess that's a different discussion. all other aspects of STT are great...

s3aturnr

·
16,745 Posts
i prefer NESBA, but i've done many STT days in the past. my only beef with STT is that no individual should be given the opportunity to run whatever group they think they want. a qualified instructor/control-rider should have that job. but i guess that's a different discussion. all other aspects of STT are great...

s3aturnr
I never had that issue...but I knew all the CRs that day...

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
I never had that issue...but I knew all the CRs that day...
in my experience, STT intermediate group tends to be a meat-grinder. people that don't want the structure of the novice group but don't yet have a true intermediate pace end up there on a regular basis...

s3aturnr

·
FastForward Performance
961 Posts
First off, I hope we don't start this crap again all over to where it ends up like the wera thread.
Second, STT is under new ownership and you can expect some changes for 2011. Meatgrinder?? We have yet to make the northern goups, but I have not seen that problem in the Southern group.
So, let's stay on point and leave the bashing out of it. :toocool: Tdub

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
First off, I hope we don't start this crap again all over to where it ends up like the wera thread.
Second, STT is under new ownership and you can expect some changes for 2011. Meatgrinder?? We have yet to make the northern goups, but I have not seen that problem in the Southern group.
So, let's stay on point and leave the bashing out of it. :toocool: Tdub
sorry. not trying to bash. just calling it like i see it. i wasn't the one who gave it the name, but it seemed to fit at the time when i heard it.

it's true; STT does have a new owner. hopefully the group continues to grow and improve. only with the support and input of its members can it truly evolve into something all (or almost all) the riders love...

s3aturnr

1 - 20 of 32 Posts