Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Shake & Bake!!
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for the longest time I've been having battery / charging system problems. Some of you know because you've been helping me trying to figure out the issue. In case you didn't know here's the quick story:

Bike stays on battery tender 24/7. I've replaced the battery 3 different times. I first unplug the bike from the tender, fire her up. Starts up fine. Ride about 30 minutes and come back home. Then I shut off the bike completely, and then try to restart and it's dead -- won't turn on again.

I did the volt meter test and these were my results:

Bike off: 15ish (fresh off the charger)
Bike on: 12-13ish (idling)
Bike revving: 12-13ish (revving at 5 to 8RPM's)

I think it could either be one the following three that's causing my issue:

1. Stator has gone bad
  2. Regulator has gone bad
  3. A short some where in my wiring harness

Then my headlights shut off when revved too high. I turned off the bike and it wont turn back on.. battery died I guess.

I would check the stator and regulator with the volt meter test too but to be honest, I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to electrical work. The guy who helped me install my alarm system awhile back accidentally tapped into the wrong wires. He tapped into the wires that lead directly into the ECU. Which makes me believe it could have caused a short somewhere. Or fried my regulator or stator some how.

I recently purchased a used 2009 stator off eBay hoping just replacing the stator will fix my issue. If it doesn't, I'll also look into replacing the regulator. If that does not fix my issue any other suggestions? Could replacing the main wiring harness fix the short in the wires leading into the ECU?

Please help me out.. I ran out of idea's and don't know what else to do. I've gotten several threads but nothing into this much detail. Thanks you guys.

·
Shake & Bake!!
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After the 30 min ride, what's the voltage on he battery with it off and no tender connected to it? Take the battery out of circuit and test the Voltage. I have a feeling you leaving it on the tender 24/7 has damaged the battery and kept it from holding a charge.
I haven't checked the readings after a ride, I will do that tomorrow. But to all 3 batteries?

·
slow guy
4,409 Posts
At a bare minimum you should have 12.6 volts when checking the battery. if you're only getting 12-13 while running at the battery I'd look into the voltage regulator, shouldn't it be in the 14+volts range while running at the battery?

On edit: also like TFS said check the wiring that was wrongly tapped into. Also is all the wiring/circuits ok on your headlights? With Halo's/HID's I'd double check everything there.

·
Shake & Bake!!
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Find the wire that was Wrong and make sure it is not touching anything causing it to short.
I've already did that and I electrical taped them so that they wouldn't touch each other by accident or get water on 'em if I were to get rained on....

At a bare minimum you should have 12.6 volts when checking the battery. if you're only getting 12-13 while running at the battery I'd look into the voltage regulator, shouldn't it be in the 14+volts range while running at the battery?

On edit: also like TFS said check the wiring that was wrongly tapped into. Also is all the wiring/circuits ok on your headlights? With Halo's/HID's I'd double check everything there.
I actually went over my whole HID / Projector / Halo wiring the other day and everything is good to go there. I read the manual to check the stator and regulator, but still was confused.. don't know what I'm doing! :(

·
I'd Flip it :popcorn:
16,745 Posts
Changing the Stator is real Easy, It took me about 30 min to Swap my old cover with my Woodcraft. If I can do it you can do it!!! The Stator is held on with Torx head bolts FYI And I would alse make sure to use some Locktite on all the bolts to be safe

·
slow guy
4,409 Posts
I've already did that and I electrical taped them so that they wouldn't touch each other by accident or get water on 'em if I were to get rained on....
I actually went over my whole HID / Projector / Halo wiring the other day and everything is good to go there. I read the manual to check the stator and regulator, but still was confused.. don't know what I'm doing! :(
I just read through the service manual quick and the battery should have 12.8 volts minimum. After charging it, let it sit 30 minutes and check it, should be 15 volts per the manual. Have you tried doing a voltage drop check when starting the bike? That will tell you if for sure your battery is weak, but still doesn't answer the charging problem. charge the battery, take it for a ride, leave it running and then check the voltage at the battery while running. If it can't maintain 14-15 volts while running the charging system is bad. Then I'd go after the stator, might consider doing the regulator as peace of mind.
Changing the Stator is real Easy, It took me about 30 min to Swap my old cover with my Woodcraft. If I can do it you can do it!!! The Stator is held on with Torx head bolts FYI And I would alse make sure to use some Locktite on all the bolts to be safe
Stator isn't bad, as long as the torx screws don't strip out:sing don't ask me how I know this.

·
Shake & Bake!!
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool deal thanks for the Locktite tip... but what happens if I need to get back in there? Wouldn't it be harder to unscrew?

I just read through the service manual quick and the battery should have 12.8 volts minimum. After charging it, let it sit 30 minutes and check it, should be 15 volts per the manual. Have you tried doing a voltage drop check when starting the bike? That will tell you if for sure your battery is weak, but still doesn't answer the charging problem. charge the battery, take it for a ride, leave it running and then check the voltage at the battery while running. If it can't maintain 14-15 volts while running the charging system is bad. Then I'd go after the stator, might consider doing the regulator as peace of mind.

Stator isn't bad, as long as the torx screws don't strip out:sing don't ask me how I know this.
Thanks. Yeah it doesn't maintain 14-15 volts after riding about 30 min. I assumed it was the stator that's why I jumped on a used eBay stator for $55 shipped. But that's another thing I'm worried about is the torx screws stripping. :(

·
slow guy
4,409 Posts
Cool deal thanks for the Locktite tip... but what happens if I need to get back in there? Wouldn't it be harder to unscrew?

Thanks. Yeah it doesn't maintain 14-15 volts after riding about 30 min. I assumed it was the stator that's why I jumped on a used eBay stator for $55 shipped. But that's another thing I'm worried about is the torx screws stripping. :(
They have loctite on them from the factory, all but one came out easy for me. I replaced all of them with new button head cap screws, just in case I have a next time. If it's not maintaining voltage sounds like a bad charging system. I'd get that stator installed. Maybe pull your battery, charge it up, let it sit for a day and then check the voltage on it. if it drops substantially with no load it too might be toasted from all the excessive drain on it.

·
Shake & Bake!!
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They have loctite on them from the factory, all but one came out easy for me. I replaced all of them with new button head cap screws, just in case I have a next time. If it's not maintaining voltage sounds like a bad charging system. I'd get that stator installed. Maybe pull your battery, charge it up, let it sit for a day and then check the voltage on it. if it drops substantially with no load it too might be toasted from all the excessive drain on it.
I would have to agree with you on that. I was thinking about taking that hit and getting another battery if it still didn't hold a charge. I also figured it'd be drained too cause all the stress it went through. Thanks for the input on the locktite!

·
#becausemotorcycles
669 Posts
I didn't really read any of the post minus the 1st....

I had the exact same problem happen on my R1. Battery died. Charged it ran for 30 minutes, stopped at a red light and it died again. Bought a new battery, started up fine, ran it 30 minutes turned it off and it wouldn't start again. Charged the battery, ran it 30 minutes same thing.

It was my stator. Changed it, haven't had a problem in the last 1,000 miles.

Good luck

·
slow guy
4,409 Posts
I would have to agree with you on that. I was thinking about taking that hit and getting another battery if it still didn't hold a charge. I also figured it'd be drained too cause all the stress it went through. Thanks for the input on the locktite!
No problem, hope the stator is it.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
After the 30 min ride, what's the voltage on he battery with it off and no tender connected to it? Take the battery out of circuit and test the Voltage. I have a feeling you leaving it on the tender 24/7 has damaged the battery and kept it from holding a charge.
If anything, what ruins a battery is repeatedly draining it to the point where it is dead, then doing that over and over. Lead builds up on the anodes and cathodes and prevents the electricity from flowing through the battery. The slower the draw to dead the worse the effect is.

And Randy (OP) bro, I feel like this is the 100th thread you've made on this topic. lol. It sounds like your stator is bad. If there is no visible damage to the regulator plug/harness it's gonna be the stator.

So I search and see the threads you have started:

Headlight Question thread: Lights going off randomnly
In this thread I suggested the low voltage scenario, causing it, which it most clearly is. And on 8-20, I pretty much posted the info on how to test for all this in post 14 or whatever.

Jacket thread where you snuck in a stator cover related question

Aftermarket vs OEM stator thread

In this one, you start a topic, then stray right into the stator how to, etc again. Noone finished answering you, cause it's already been posted and answered already.

Your HELP!!! Thread, where you ask the same questions, and don't get many responses, cause we have already given you the info and pics, recommendations, etc.. And this was only 3 days ago.

Now you have this thread.. I know you wanna be sure, and certain, but wtf bro? People answer you, then you just start repeat threads. Not only are they repeats of old threads but repeats of your own threads.. I'm not trying to complain, cause everytime you post I nut over your headlight setup lol but dude, give us and yourself a break.

Swap the stator. Sack up and do it bro. It's MAD easy. Test voltage. If it still doesn't work swap the rectifier. If that doesn't work, it's probably past your willing ability or skillset. You need to get this fixed/figured out and move on. I know it's driving you nuts, but it's also driving me nuts now.

·
slow guy
4,409 Posts
The ball is in his court now, he bought a stator, now it's time to change it out.

·
Shake & Bake!!
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didn't really read any of the post minus the 1st....

I had the exact same problem happen on my R1. Battery died. Charged it ran for 30 minutes, stopped at a red light and it died again. Bought a new battery, started up fine, ran it 30 minutes turned it off and it wouldn't start again. Charged the battery, ran it 30 minutes same thing.

It was my stator. Changed it, haven't had a problem in the last 1,000 miles.

Good luck
Sweet! Sounds like my issue. I'll be changing it whenever it gets in! Thanks for the input.

If anything, what ruins a battery is repeatedly draining it to the point where it is dead, then doing that over and over. Lead builds up on the anodes and cathodes and prevents the electricity from flowing through the battery. The slower the draw to dead the worse the effect is.

And Randy (OP) bro, I feel like this is the 100th thread you've made on this topic. lol. It sounds like your stator is bad. If there is no visible damage to the regulator plug/harness it's gonna be the stator.

So I search and see the threads you have started:

Headlight Question thread: Lights going off randomnly
In this thread I suggested the low voltage scenario, causing it, which it most clearly is. And on 8-20, I pretty much posted the info on how to test for all this in post 14 or whatever.

Jacket thread where you snuck in a stator cover related question

Aftermarket vs OEM stator thread

In this one, you start a topic, then stray right into the stator how to, etc again. Noone finished answering you, cause it's already been posted and answered already.

Your HELP!!! Thread, where you ask the same questions, and don't get many responses, cause we have already given you the info and pics, recommendations, etc.. And this was only 3 days ago.

Now you have this thread.. I know you wanna be sure, and certain, but wtf bro? People answer you, then you just start repeat threads. Not only are they repeats of old threads but repeats of your own threads.. I'm not trying to complain, cause everytime you post I nut over your headlight setup lol but dude, give us and yourself a break.

Swap the stator. Sack up and do it bro. It's MAD easy. Test voltage. If it still doesn't work swap the rectifier. If that doesn't work, it's probably past your willing ability or skillset. You need to get this fixed/figured out and move on. I know it's driving you nuts, but it's also driving me nuts now.
:lmao I know I know! I'm sorry bro! I just wanted to positively make sure that it was my stator before spending the money on buying a new one if that wasn't even what's wrong with it. I wanted different opinions. I'm glad y'all (especially you) stuck by me and answered everything. But like my friend Thinkmoto said below:

The ball is in his court now, he bought a stator, now it's time to change it out.
I'll get to as soon as my new stator and gasket come in sometime this week or next week. :cheers And I'm sorry ChiefSmoke! Please forgive me lol.... :(

·
slow guy
4,409 Posts
:cool: I don't care what anyone else says, there is nothing wrong with asking questions if you don't know. let us know how it turns out and if you have any problems you know where to turn:fact

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Sweet! Sounds like my issue. I'll be changing it whenever it gets in! Thanks for the input.

:lmao I know I know! I'm sorry bro! I just wanted to positively make sure that it was my stator before spending the money on buying a new one if that wasn't even what's wrong with it. I wanted different opinions. I'm glad y'all (especially you) stuck by me and answered everything. But like my friend Thinkmoto said below:

I'll get to as soon as my new stator and gasket come in sometime this week or next week. :cheers And I'm sorry ChiefSmoke! Please forgive me lol.... :(
HAHAHAHAHA AWesome bro. I know you are lookin to be super sure. I did the same thing. I was in the garage one night till like 1:30 AM just testing everything with a multimeter. Then the next thing I know I am hammered and am putting connectors on stripped wires and connecting em to the regulator and running a lead off the battery and testing voltage thru the rectifier. LOL. You can never be too sure!!

:cool: I don't care what anyone else says, there is nothing wrong with asking questions if you don't know. let us know how it turns out and if you have any problems you know where to turn:fact
LOL I'm not trying to discourage anyone from asking questions. If anything I am just pointing out to another forum regular that I have been following his threads, and even went to the extent to read them all multiple times, then condensed them to a nice link list for him so he can update all 4 -5 when he gets thing resolved. :)

Just showin some love for Randy

·
slow guy
4,409 Posts
Just happy your chiming in as well in a positive way to help out with his problem. :cool:

1 - 20 of 70 Posts