Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
New R1 will run you about 12.5-13k... They are also all imported... The good thing about Okinawa is that you can ride all year round for the most part so you will get to ride a lot. You can find deals on bikes that are around 3 or more years old, but your going to pay for new. There are a couple of used 05 R1's here going for 10k, but for that price your better off getting the new R6. If you just want to ride then I'm sure you will find something to ride for less $.

·
Do Work, Son!
707 Posts
That's what I want, a 2005 R1 Raven.

Good thing I found this out now and not when I didn't have a chance to change my orders.

I honestly might just go on deployment and when I come back, I can buy the bike and car I want.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Okinawa is a nice place to be.. kinda sucks for the Marines, but if they stay out of trouble it's great. Not sure how old you are or if your married, but most people love it here. Then there are always the ones that don't like it as well. If your single and you like asian women then this is the place to be..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, it probably isn't the best idea to come here married. I heard a rumor that the divorce rate at Kadena was around 75%. I know it is in my squadron. People just seem to come here and go crazy. If you are single, I'd say hell ya!

The weather has been great the past couple days. I took a nice little 2 hour trip up 330 and 329 yesterday. Jumped on the expressway and back down before I had class. To bad I have to work this weekend.

When we going up north Dragon06R6? You have to show me the good roads to ride here!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am also stationed out here in Oki...I came to this site mostly looking for information on the R6, a buddy told me it was good bike and I am looking into getting one once I return to the states back in Cali. How long has everyone else here been on Oki? I myself have been on this island since June of 05

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I propose a run to Okuma on Saturday morning. We can meet at Kina Koen park as usual at 10am then run up to Okuma and eat lunch and head back or continue on depending on what everyone is feeling like. So far it's looking like a 0% chance of rain.

Anyone that doesn't know where the park is give me a call at around 9am @ 090.7293.7691 and I'll give you directions.

Rainking you need to answer your damn cell phone :D

BNixon, I've been here since 1994 and I can speak Japanese. If you need any help finding a bike give me a call...

Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Chris, I don't think I plan on getting a bike out here unless I could somehow TMO the thing back to the states with me....I should be leaving in August. I have heard the the R6 is a good starter bike.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I wouldn't really say it's a good starter bike.... A Bandit or some other regular street bike in the under 750cc range is a good starter bike. The R6 is fully capable of chewing you up and spitting you out.

On another note, I ran in to a Navy guy with a 2005 R1 (blue) with 3000 miles on it. It is a US model with title. He want's 8k for it, but it hasn't been threw the Japanese emissions testing yet.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Since you'll be in Japan you should try to hit up the Moto GP race at motegi circuit on the 23rd of Sept... I'm going to attempt to attend myself, just figuring out all the costs. What's the purpose of your visiting Okinawa?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dragon06R6 said:
Rainking you need to answer your damn cell phone :D

ARRRG! :eek: I saw you called! Everytime you call it's like you have this instinct of the most imperfect time to call! The ATA had a all night softball tourney.

I'll give you a call sometime this week to see if you are free, otherwise, what about the weekend of the 26th and 27th? I'd say this upcoming weekend but I have to work.

Classes end the week of the 26th for me so I'll be looking to celebrate with a long ride!

Justin

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I'll be joining you guys around May of next year. I'm in Korea now...which is freakin awesome.

What's this talk about gas testing. I did all my research before I put my bike in storage, and it said the new bikes being imported into Japan only needed emissions and brake tests. I think it said those cost around 600. Is this not true?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Kornface13... I'll check in to that for you sometime this week or beginning of next week if works a PITA.

Rainking32... You have discovered my secret power. Next Friday the 18th is my B-Day (36 and over the mid 30's hump) :( But I'll probably go on a ride. Check out www.supergoose.org for when we're going on group rides or just give me a call. If my phone doesn't get signal it means I'm in a EMP shielded area, but if you try back later you'll eventually get me as I go on smoke breaks often.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Dragon06R6 said:
Since you'll be in Japan you should try to hit up the Moto GP race at motegi circuit on the 23rd of Sept... I'm going to attempt to attend myself, just figuring out all the costs. What's the purpose of your visiting Okinawa?
A friend of mine is stationed there for the marines and will have a month off of everything so I might visit.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
YamaR6chica said:
A friend of mine is stationed there for the marines and will have a month off of everything so I might visit.
Nice, If you need any help while your here or want to go hang out where the bikers go one night don't hesitate to ask. I know pretty much the whole island and I can help you with any translations you may need.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey all! I am moving down to Kadena within the next month and I am VERY glad to see that y'all are riding over there! I have an 04 R6 and am debating whether I should bring it or not. Any opinions? What about my car? I have heard horror stories of speed limits no greater than like 42 mph. Fact or fiction? To tell you the truth, I have no idea what I am getting into so any and all opinions/information is very much welcome! Thanks!

·
Rootabaker da R6 King
234 Posts
zman1621: I'm at Kadena and have been since Jan. 06" and unless your car is a 1975 or older you can't bring it. Cars are easy to come by your getting here in the summer when everyone from Kadena is coming and going so you wont have a problem finding a car.

Now your bike is up to you either way you have to get Gas & Brake certification done to it which could cost you around 2K I believe if you really haven't done anything to the bike I would just sell it and buy yourself a new one here or just get a used one here. And on the speed limit thing if it is 42 MPH I haven't seen it

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Speed limit is from 40-60 kph on surface roads and 80 kph on the express way...
But then who drives the speed limit. :D

Leave the car at home as stated above and try to get a good deal and sell the bike as well. It's easier to get a bike here that is already been plated or buy a new imported bike where the gas/brake testing etc is included in the price. At the current Yen rate a new 07 R6 is right at 10K out the door with all the taxes/testing etc. If you need any help when you get here feel free to look me up... I've been on island now since 94'...

·
Registered
635 Posts
Dragon06R6 said:
Nice, If you need any help while your here or want to go hang out where the bikers go one night don't hesitate to ask. I know pretty much the whole island and I can help you with any translations you may need.
Hell yeah I'll let you know soon enough I think. He might just be coming to visit home here in Phoenix, but we'll see. It'll be around the middle of August.

21 - 40 of 125 Posts