Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
gettin' some
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted some opinions or advice on how young you can teach someone to ride on two wheels. My 2 yr old nephew is OBSESSED with bikes, especially my 'blue namaha', lol. He'll be 3 in april and I was thinkin' 'bout gettin him on his first bike. How young did you guys learn or teach someone to balance their first bike.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Training wheels and protective gear. He could be the next V. Rossi.

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
I got my son one of those razor scooters (battery powered ones) when he was 3

Hes 6 in that pic

Attachments

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
Actually he just recently learned how to ride his pedal bike...(no training wheels)

And of course you can use me for your side of the argument :lmao

·
Registered
324 Posts
you couldn't keep me off 2 wheels when i was a kid and for some reason i was traumatized of training wheels My dad got me one of these when i was 5 and ive always had a bike ever since :YEA wish i still had that thing too cause it would be an awesome pit bike with a few mods!

Suzuki JR-50

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
remember though their just kids...kids make up their minds every 5 mins.

·
gettin' some
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hear ya. But since I got my bike last summer, its all this kid talks about. He wears my gear every time he comes over and his parents use it as bargaining tool, 'Behave and we'll go see Uncle Bug's bike'. I'll just see where he stands come spring.

·
Registered
271 Posts
My 4 year old is the same way. I was 30 when I got my first bike loved every minute of it. Want to get my kid a crf50, grand parents got a lot more open land for him to ride at.

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts

I saw this one online while searcing for a 50cc pit bike
Yamaha ysr-50....(street legal) or with R-1 racing plastics

·
Ice cream
384 Posts
^ Hes right. Do you remember what you wanted when you were two? Not many people do. I'd say buy him a bicycle with the motocross plastics.

When hes older get him a 50cc or something. All kids are fascinated with things like motorcycles.

·
Kenny Howard
359 Posts
My son is obsessed with two wheels so we got him a ---> Strider <--- bike at 16 months and he was blowing minds at 18 months. He's now 21 months and was freaking other parents out today while bombing down huge grass mounds at the park. Only one minor get off all day. (Striders have no training wheels)

With that said-i was determined to get him on something with a motor, quick!

Until... about 3 months ago I went to this guys house to buy a few motorcycles, just finishing up the business and his 4 year old son comes out in the garage with a scar straight across his face, ear to ear. I'm talking about a bad one, thick and scary.

You know the rest of the story, 50 cc with training wheels, wide open into jagged metal object.

Now Im not even considering it for another couple years. Little man will just have to enjoy his tank rides with dad around the block for now.

·
Waiting for remission...
2,444 Posts
I didn't get my first motorcycle until I was 21. I've taken my 5 year old for rides on my R6 and some people say that is too young to even ride passenger.

·
I eat philly cheese steak
1,417 Posts
My Dad got me my first dirtbike when I was 4-5. It was a Honda 70 :)

·
Kenny Howard
359 Posts
here's dude on the Strider. Kokou makes a dope strider type bike with alum frame and adjustable suspension.

And yes he thinks the ysr 50 and honda monkey are his since theyre minis.

Attachments

·
gettin' some
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^ Hes right. Do you remember what you wanted when you were two? Not many people do. I'd say buy him a bicycle with the motocross plastics.

When hes older get him a 50cc or something. All kids are fascinated with things like motorcycles.
Ya, I definitely want to get him on a bicycle first. I should have been more clear. Was wonderin' how many of you have had success teachin' someone that young. I like what I'm hearin' though. Ya, I didn't learn till I think around 7 yrs old. No trainin' wheels though. Been hooked ever since.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts