Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Titanium exhaust, adjustable levers, Vortex rear sets, Ohlins damper, quick shift/auto clipper... All that with OEM suspension? And you’re running slicks? :unsure:

Surprised no one has recommended you upgrade the suspension. If you’ve already upgraded, then disregard this post and advanced apologies. But there’s tons of information on here and elsewhere regarding the benefits (tire wear issues included) and upgrade options for suspension.

Money you spent on adjustable levers could have been spent on a shock revalve/respring which would transform the stock unit into a potent piece of kit. Folks win races at the amateur level with them.

Savings from going with stainless steel instead of titanium exhaust would probably cover a similar upgrade to your forks although the improvement won’t be as large as the shock.

And these are the cheap suspension options.

Generally, you should buy parts that get the bike working closer to its potential first, then spend the money on the bling. Suspension is at the top of the list.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm familiar with Dave Moss's videos and his philosophy on upgrade paths. Truth is, he's actually set up my bike with the stock suspension, and it's working great. I'm not even close to the limits of the stock suspension yet. Tire wear also seems within reason, I got 6 full days on the rear, front is at 8 and still going strong. Rear suffers a lot at Thunderhill on the left side, and even with flipping the tire after 3 days the profile started being a little too pointy for my liking. I agree that slicks are overkill for my pace and skill, but they perform much better than the DOT track tires I've tried, especially towards the end of a session on those hot days at TH.
The adjustable levers were cheap and needed, because I have small hands, and the Vortex fit my hands much better, they weren't bought for bling. I got the exhaust at a heavy discount, and to my knowledge Graves doesn't make a stainless exhaust for the R6. Even if they did, for the price difference, I would probably have gotten an Ohlins sticker ;)

@Stretch81 I typically run Carter's at TH and Sonoma. I occasionally jump on a little Ninja with FLAP when I feel the need for punishment at Laguna.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm familiar with Dave Moss's videos and his philosophy on upgrade paths. Truth is, he's actually set up my bike with the stock suspension, and it's working great. I'm not even close to the limits of the stock suspension yet. Tire wear also seems within reason, I got 6 full days on the rear, front is at 8 and still going strong. Rear suffers a lot at Thunderhill on the left side, and even with flipping the tire after 3 days the profile started being a little too pointy for my liking. I agree that slicks are overkill for my pace and skill, but they perform much better than the DOT track tires I've tried, especially towards the end of a session on those hot days at TH.
The adjustable levers were cheap and needed, because I have small hands, and the Vortex fit my hands much better, they weren't bought for bling. I got the exhaust at a heavy discount, and to my knowledge Graves doesn't make a stainless exhaust for the R6. Even if they did, for the price difference, I would probably have gotten an Ohlins sticker ;)

@Stretch81 I typically run Carter's at TH and Sonoma. I occasionally jump on a little Ninja with FLAP when I feel the need for punishment at Laguna.
Did you get Dave Moss to tune your bike at the track or remotely? I've been considering playing around with the stock suspension before leaping into upgardes etc.

Also, another question. I got the Vortex V3 2.0 rearsets after your recommendation and they're great! The only trouble I'm having with them is that the rear brake feel is almost completely gone. I've seen a fair few people also having this issue. Is your's the same? The rear brake lever basically has little to no travel?

·
Registered
2011 R6 Race Bike
116 Posts
Did you get Dave Moss to tune your bike at the track or remotely? I've been considering playing around with the stock suspension before leaping into upgardes etc.

Also, another question. I got the Vortex V3 2.0 rearsets after your recommendation and they're great! The only trouble I'm having with them is that the rear brake feel is almost completely gone. I've seen a fair few people also having this issue. Is your's the same? The rear brake lever basically has little to no travel?
Lot's of track guys actually introduce air into the rear brake system so the rear brakes aren't so touchy. This is helpful when using rear brake on the track. Try cracking your rear brake line and see if that helps relieve some of the tension.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I started by watching one of Dave's setup videos for the R6 (in the subscribers section) for the initial setup. Once trackdays resumed this year, I paid him a visit at the track to get the bike fine tuned.
My rear brake has barely any travel. Luckily for me, I rarely use the rear brake at the track (when overcooking a corner into the dirt basically ;) ). The only way to add more travel with the same rearsets (short of adding air) would be to swap the rear brake master for a smaller diameter.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts