Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Likes Long Rsex with his
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i just changed all the pads on my 03 R6, and for some reason my front pads are dragging, and my rear brakes really are not there, or just barely work.... anyone have any idea whats going on?:confused::jacked

·
Intermediate Knee Dragger
1,309 Posts
You need to allow time for them to conform with the rotors.

·
Likes Long Rsex with his
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but whats going on with the rear, they dont work at all

·
I like ice cream!
1,350 Posts
but whats going on with the rear, they dont work at all
Pump your rear beake a few times, build up pressure, you should get it. If not you'll need to bleed the rear brake.

On a personal sidenote, I perfer to have less available pressure to the rear brake incase you stab them in a panic situation.

·
Likes Long Rsex with his
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok well i adjusted the rear brake lever, the nut was all the way to the top, so that may have been my problem. that seemed to have fixed the no rear brake situation. i did noticed when bleeding them. that the bottom of the rear caliper (when being compressed) seemed to kick out a little bit.. is this normal? adjusting the rear brake fixed my no brake issue. i'm just worried that the bottom of the caliper kicking out the way it did will create an uneven wear issue.

Also the front are still draging but i only took it down the street once. i take it this is normal until some of the pad is worn away?

thanks for the replys guys =)

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
are you sure you compressed your pistons all the way back in when you put in the new pads? If you didn't get the pistons completely compressed, then you'll have dragging issues and probably end up glazing the pads and rotors. I've never heard of brakes that drag til they bed in. Yes you should bed in the brakes, but they should never drag. The rear flexing is normal, i wouldn't worry about that.

·
Likes Long Rsex with his
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah the front pads are def still rubbing a little. like with i roll the bike in neutral i can hear them rubbing a tad. is this normal at all?

·
Likes Long Rsex with his
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
would the dial setting on the top of the front break lever have anything to do with it?

·
1,309 Posts
would the dial setting on the top of the front break lever have anything to do with it?
No, that only adjusts the lever itself, it does nothing else to the rest of the brake system.

·
1,309 Posts
yeah the front pads are def still rubbing a little. like with i roll the bike in neutral i can hear them rubbing a tad. is this normal at all?
That could be normal, but without hearing it myself I can't say. With my bike up on stands, when I spin the front wheel it makes a little noise from the brakes, but not much.

·
Likes Long Rsex with his
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well when i roll the bike in neutral its enough drag to stop the bike. compared to my old worn pads. these drag a bit more.

·
1,309 Posts
Huh. The next option I can think of would be to pull the calipers off and push the pistons back in again and make sure you get them all the way back in and straight and everything. If that doesn't work, someone else will have to do some thinking.

·
Likes Long Rsex with his
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ahh this is driving me crazy

·
Likes Long Rsex with his
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<--- points imaginary gun to head

·
Likes Long Rsex with his
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok well how do i got about adjusting the rear brake.. or is that even posible? because those have little to no grab

1 - 16 of 16 Posts