Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heres what i found.
your are more likely to die in a bike wreck than a car wreck.
96% of bike fatalities are other vechile related.
Most single bike accidents are walked away from
You are more likely to get HURT in a car wreck than a bike wreck
so basically either u walk away or die on a bike. but isnt that nuts about the other cars? its so dumb because its not like they even TRY to pay attention to us. Like the own the road...... be safe everyone
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
BassnTruck said:
yep. i went down got a little rash and broke my wrist. and still rode the bike home.
My buddy went down after hitting a wet spot in a corner and got really bad road rash from his meashly textile jacket.....but he still rode his bike home, cleaned himself off, and was pretty much just fine. We just all gotta remember to be careful and staty safe out there.
 

·
Knee Draggin Poor Boy
Joined
·
1,238 Posts
My buddy went down after hitting a wet spot in a corner and got really bad road rash from his meashly textile jacket.....but he still rode his bike home, cleaned himself off, and was pretty much just fine. We just all gotta remember to be careful and staty safe out there.
That is why i will always wear a leather jacket, Icon preferably.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
786 Posts
Yea..... definately countin my blessings after my first bike got totalled.... I am one of the lucky ones who has survived being hit MID-CORNER by an 87 year old driver who target fixated on me as he did 35 mph in a busy intersection...
 

·
heebiedabajeebies!
Joined
·
1,781 Posts
Drooder said:
Yea..... definately countin my blessings after my first bike got totalled.... I am one of the lucky ones who has survived being hit MID-CORNER by an 87 year old driver who target fixated on me as he did 35 mph in a busy intersection...
damn! glad you got away with your life on that one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,552 Posts
96% is not even close to being right.

Did you use the NHTSA Web site for motorcycle fatalities? I just wrote a story on motorcycle fatalities for my Computer Assisted Journalism class and the number is closer to half involved colliding with another car. Motorcycles are MORE likely to collide with a fixed object. Here are some staggering facts for you.

-Motorcyclists are 27 times as lkely to die in a crash as compared to cars and 6 times as likely to be injured.
-36% of fatalities the MOTORCYCLIST was SPEEDING
-Nearly 40% had alcohol in their system
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i dont even remember what website it was but it wasn the highway safety website. if ur source is better then ill go with urs. but the 40% alchol is hard to believe, and ive lost 3 friends on bikes all other car related. so thats what ive seen. and of all thw wrecks that my buddies have been in single bike accidents they walked away from.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,552 Posts
I know the alcohol is hard to believe but also take into account, but over the last 10 years the mean engine size involved in fatal accidents has jumped from 839 to over 1,000cc's, all the new cruisers on the road. Also large % of the alcohol related fatalities come from like 35+, nothing against you older guys but most older guys ride Harleys, Goldwings etc.

Thats why we all have to resist the temptation to say to ourselves, "Oh. I've only had a couple I'll be just fine."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
agree. its more than just ur own life u put at risk and thats not fair to anyone else. if u drink great get trashed have a great time.. but just leave the bike on the kick stand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
leftone said:
heres what i found.
your are more likely to die in a bike wreck than a car wreck.
96% of bike fatalities are other vechile related.
Most single bike accidents are walked away from
You are more likely to get HURT in a car wreck than a bike wreck
so basically either u walk away or die on a bike. but isnt that nuts about the other cars? its so dumb because its not like they even TRY to pay attention to us. Like the own the road...... be safe everyone
ride or die... only way to live homie. :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
I'm always a firm believer that the bike is most of the time - at fault. I'm really tired of bikers continually blaming others for their own irresponsibility just because the stereotype of a cager is 'they didn't look and just merged' ....well fact of the matter is, they and everyone else, including me, (when driving a car) don't expect bikes to be around if they don't see them, so of course it is so comfortable to just blame them when you are going 5mp/h over the limit and get knocked over.. There are A LOT of bad drivers out there, but with the amount of cars on the road - you can't be suprised by that, you just have to protect yourself against it.
I guess my mentality when I ride is - if I ever crash, it will be my fault. The fact that I'm on a bike which is 10 times less visible than a car, and 10 times faster already puts me in a vulnerable position, so shifting blame will only look bad on my part.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
Ragedmachine said:
I'm always a firm believer that the bike is most of the time - at fault. I'm really tired of bikers continually blaming others for their own irresponsibility just because the stereotype of a cager is 'they didn't look and just merged' ....well fact of the matter is, they and everyone else, including me, (when driving a car) don't expect bikes to be around if they don't see them, so of course it is so comfortable to just blame them when you are going 5mp/h over the limit and get knocked over.. There are A LOT of bad drivers out there, but with the amount of cars on the road - you can't be suprised by that, you just have to protect yourself against it.
I guess my mentality when I ride is - if I ever crash, it will be my fault. The fact that I'm on a bike which is 10 times less visible than a car, and 10 times faster already puts me in a vulnerable position, so shifting blame will only look bad on my part.
Good call my only wreck so far, i was in the left lane and a car from the right lane turned left in front of me. that seems 100% like his fault, but the other factors are this, I was slightly behind him close to the white dashes on the road (blind spot), and i had less than a year riding experiance. I was actually less than 6 months. so lack of skill caused me to lock up both front and rear and t- bone the guy. now days i would swerve turn around and go beat his ass.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top