Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my electrical system has left me stranded roadside twice recently and I'm tired of these kinds of surprises and relying on friends to bail me out. I say electrical system because I don't know yet what the problem is, but everything seems to be pointing towards stator, so I'm waiting for my new one to arrive. Whatever the cause, I would like to be able to see at a glance if my battery is not up to par at any time.

Background aside, I think I am going to install some kind of voltmeter to monitor my battery's condition at any time, including on the fly where it counts most. I am looking for a very small voltmeter that won't attract much attention and make it easier to find a place to install it. Haven't decided digital or analog, but leaning towards backlit analog. Also, a display range around 0-15 volts would be nice or more if the battery will read above that while running with the stator putting extra charge on it. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. If there is any interest, I may even do a "How To" write up with pics.

What I could really use help with is figuring out where to splice it in so that it gives me full measurements on the battery, not the amount of volts that reach the guage cluster, for example. Just hook it up to the battery directly, you say?! Well, I would also like it to turn on and off with the bike.

Any ideas?

G

·
does anyone know of a place that sells
a nice kit that could do volts and/or charging amps
and looks clean

Thanks

·
Registered
672 Posts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231230017037?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Very simple to wire in... Do you want it on all the time or only when the bike is on? If you want it on all the time find 12v constant and tap it for power and ground the black side. If you want it on when the bike is on find a wire that gets power when the bike is on and tap that then again ground black. Last option is one of these two with a switch inline so you could turn it off. Buy a cheap toggle on fleabay and put in line with power.

If you don't understand this hit youtube and learn more before you cut wires.

·
GET OVER IT
761 Posts
You don't need to install anything. You can get a reading off your dash for the battery voltage very easily

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
+1 that would be very convenient...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts