Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Errybody Dougie
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a quick search to to see if this had been addressed but I didn't seem to find anything. I have an 02 R6 that is rough around the edges and needs some work to make it look good. Been dropped a couple times and would be perfect to track. I was also looking at getting another bike, 06+ R6, for my street bike. Question is which do you guys prefer? having a track dedicated bike and a street bike, or a bike that you ride all the time track and street.

·
Parts Pimp
26,455 Posts
I was in your exact shoes. I have a nice 02, needs some work. Rough around the edges, and nothing as nice as everyone's much newer bikes.. I set out to build the 02 to be as good as anyone's new bike (Really so I could keep up :laugh).

I spent a lot of time and money enjoying the bike, working on it and riding it.

I then picked up an 08 with low miles in a addition to my 02. The 02 has suspension work, chain kit, all that shit. I was tracking it at the beginning of the year, but realized the lack of slipper clutch, and the smoothness and precision just wasn't there.

Now my 08 street queen is a dirty and beaten track whore and my 02 just sits around collecting dust and being ridden a couple times a month at best...

Consider my experience and make your own decision. I would do it just the same if I could again, but I'm 30, and work full time and can afford to be building bikes like an asshole. :lmao

·
Team STG Racing
337 Posts
I always have a dedicated track bike. Even before i was racing, i still had a dedicated track bike.

1. It is easier to just prep a bike for the track once and be done with it.

2. You can setup your suspension for track riding (which isn't the same or as comfortable as a street setup).

3. You don't have to worry about crashing your street bike.

If you are worried about crashing, you will never be fast. That is a fact. Crashing is part of the sport (that is why we advocate wearing the best gear possible). If you do it long enough and push yourself to improve, you WILL crash at some point...it is just part of it.

It is much easier (and MUCH cheaper) to repair a track bike than it is a street bike. OEM plastics, lights and all of that shit is expensive and hard to replace. Whereas you can get a good set of track plastics for much cheaper (and a good quality set like Armour Bodies can last through several crashes and is easily repaired).

·
Errybody Dougie
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm in the military so spending a ton of money on my bike isn't exactly an option and I'd like to not have to take out a loan to do anything with a track bike. I have about 7000 saved up and I want to spend around 5 getting a new bike. Would 2000 be enough to set up a track bike or am I getting in over my head? I'm not looking to have the fastest bike out there just want to be able to run on the track with some race fairings and a suspension tune and probably brakes and lines (any suggestions would be great).

·
Parts Pimp
26,455 Posts
I'm in the military so spending a ton of money on my bike isn't exactly an option and I'd like to not have to take out a loan to do anything with a track bike. I have about 7000 saved up and I want to spend around 5 getting a new bike. Would 2000 be enough to set up a track bike or am I getting in over my head? I'm not looking to have the fastest bike out there just want to be able to run on the track with some race fairings and a suspension tune and probably brakes and lines (any suggestions would be great).
That's more than enough $$!

You can find a nice track bike for 4-5k easily. Bodywork is like $5-600. Brake pads and lines are around $300, tires around 350 for good ones, and you have plenty left over for whatever mods you feel you need the most after sitting on the bike and riding it a the track. Maybe rearsets and clipons, maybe you just wanna make noise and get an exhaust.. Whatever floats your boat buddy.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had an 06 Honda 599 when I bought the R6. I was going to sell it, but it has close to 30k miles and the Yamaha is too fast for the street and will get me in trouble. I'm in the process of turning the R6 into a dedicated track bike and keeping the 599 for the street. If I had to choose again, I'd just buy an used track bike with all the mods installed already.

If you keep the 02, but be sure to budget all the mods. Painted race bodywork alone is around one grand and track days are expensive. My two cents is buy a more civilized street bike and spend the extra cash in trackforming the 02.

·
Premium Member
35,477 Posts
I had two 08 R6's, one for street and one for track. I eventually sold my street 08 and got wheels with street tires for my track 08 to save money. If you have the funds, two bikes is a really nice luxury.

·
Premium Member
17,970 Posts
I had two 08 R6's, one for street and one for track. I eventually sold my street 08 and got wheels with street tires for my track 08 to save money. If you have the funds, two bikes is a really nice luxury.
:fact

I wish I can afford 2 bikes, I barely have enough to afford track days though so if i buy a track bike that means I can't do track days :dunce

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
I had an 06 Honda 599 when I bought the R6. I was going to sell it, but it has close to 30k miles and the Yamaha is too fast for the street and will get me in trouble. I'm in the process of turning the R6 into a dedicated track bike and keeping the 599 for the street. If I had to choose again, I'd just buy an used track bike with all the mods installed already.

If you keep the 02, but be sure to budget all the mods. Painted race bodywork alone is around one grand and track days are expensive. My two cents is buy a more civilized street bike and spend the extra cash in trackforming the 02.
The bolded part is truth. I was looking at converting my '03 over to track-only and started doing the math for all the parts I wanted, and it just made no sense. I found a fully decked out '05 track bike for $500 more than what I can sell the '03 for.

It needed a little bit of money in suspension work to get it dialed in for me, but if I were to buy all the parts that are on the track bike myself, I would have spent thousands more. Not to mention all the time and labor installing parts, getting things tuned, and drilling everything for safety wire.

Especially if you're happy with the first gen R6 - you can get a nice track bike from that era for super cheap - like $2k.

·
Errybody Dougie
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So basically what everyone is saying is sell the 02 get a track bike and get a street bike. Which gen R6 has the best bang for the buck for track use? I don't really care how my track bike will look so just looking really at performance and price of parts.

I'm pretty set on getting a 3rd gen for my street bike, I love the way they look and I have a ton of ideas on what I want to do aesthetically with it already and I don't even own one yet haha.

Then Again i could start stacking the stable and just own three bike :sing

·
Premium Member
17,970 Posts
So basically what everyone is saying is sell the 02 get a track bike and get a street bike. Which gen R6 has the best bang for the buck for track use? I don't really care how my track bike will look so just looking really at performance and price of parts.

I'm pretty set on getting a 3rd gen for my street bike, I love the way they look and I have a ton of ideas on what I want to do aesthetically with it already and I don't even own one yet haha.

IMO since you already have the 02 I would look into buying a track bike.

Most of us will prefer the track to the street and will really not need to ride the nicer machine on the street, street rides will most likely become a little treat for you to go out and relax, while the track will be where you want the sick track bike.

If I were in your shoes now, I would keep the 02 for the street and look into a used track bike that's pretty much prepped.

·
Parts Pimp
26,455 Posts

The 02 is and can be a great track bike. Don't expect to go racing with it tho. It's just not as good of a chassis. It's evident when you ride the bike on the track.

I ran a mock race with my 02 and held my own, but it just doesn't have the passing power and the front end feel the newer bike does. It's a great bike and I'm proud to own it, but there's quite a bit more potential with the newer bike.

The 02 is hands down way better on the street too. More comfortable, performs well, and has some good low end compared to newer r6's.

Do what makes u happy, but once u get fast you will fiend that faster and newer bike worse than coke at sunrise :fact

·
Parts Pimp
26,455 Posts
Don't you hate that shit. Jonesin :laugh

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Ugh, and by that time, I've already jacked off like 2-4 times and really have no hope of sleeping. :lmao :lmao

·
Team STG Racing
337 Posts
You can pick up a good track bike, already setup, for well under $7k. Check out www.weraclassifeds.com

Look for anything 2006 and up (not just referring to R6's, but Gixxers or ZX6R's or whatever) because '06 was when just about all of the bikes had a MAJOR overhaul...as in completely different bikes, ground up.

Since then, there have been 2-3 generations of updates for all of the bikes, but nothing major like in '06.

In other words, there are people still winning Club Races on '06 bikes all over the country.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts