Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, the short version---One of my co-workers actually instructs at one of the local tracks--and i've finally gotten permission from my baby-momma to take a track day. I've been shopping around, and was wondering if you track guys have a preference between 1 or 2 piece suits. I checked with my co-worker, and he'll let me go out in either. I'm not trying to spend a lot of money, but if I like track riding as much as I think I will, I'd like to have something descent. I've seen some 2007 closeout stuff for under $500.00. Thanks for your input in advance. I like cake.

T1

·
Banned
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what size are you...
Size husky, big-boned, shamu..um..i'm not really sure..I tried on some jackets when I was a kid, and I like the 58 (UK) but I'm not really used to the skin tight stuff. I sag size 36 jeans..i'm 5'11, 190..and hung like a tic-tac.

T1

·
Custom User Title
1,827 Posts
1 piece if its just for the track.

if you really want 500 dollars between your skin and the asphalt, be my guest. ill stick with the good stuff

(if its on close out like you said, i guess its a different story, depending on brand, etc)

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
I've got no experience with suits at all but my guess is the majority opinion is going to be with a 1 piece. I also think the one piece would hold up better and protect better as well...

·
Custom User Title
1,827 Posts
Size husky, big-boned, shamu..um..i'm not really sure..I tried on some jackets when I was a kid, and I like the 58 (UK) but I'm not really used to the skin tight stuff. I sag size 36 jeans..i'm 5'11, 190..and hung like a tic-tac.

T1
it needs to be skin type. it should be very uncomfortable to walk around in. hunched over with it trying to strangle your nuts. then you get on the bike and it should be more comfortable.

·
Banned
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it needs to be skin type. it should be very uncomfortable to walk around in. hunched over with it trying to strangle your nuts. then you get on the bike and it should be more comfortable.
So if it's strangling my nuts then it fits good, check, got it! I've been able to hunt down Shift, Teknic, and several Alpinestars suits in my price range, so now that it seems 1 piece is the way to go that certainly helps me narrow it down. I'm not opposed to spending money, I just want to make sure track riding is something I really like before I sell my child for gear. I'd hate to be the guy that gets the nice gloves, boots ,suit etc only to put it on Ebay a month down the road.

T1

·
To the Bat Cave!
4,113 Posts
Depends really on what you like. From my research, the 2 piece can be more to one's liking since it offers a multitude of options. You can wear your leathers for TD's. You can also wear just the jacket when out street riding. If you prefer to wear both together, you can take off your jacket if you stop somewhere without feeling 'confined'.

On a side note, if you aren't used to the skin tight stuff, get used to it. You don't have to cut off your circulation, but if you get it loose, it's pointless to wear leathers. You want them so that they protect you, it's not about your comfort level. To my knowledge and someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, your new leathers will not feel comfortable at all. You can probably wear them around the house for a bit before your first TD to break them in. You shouldn't be able to stand well in them, or sit straight up. But they should feel better if you are in a tuck mode.

Good luck to you and congrats on your first TD...have fun man!

·
To the Bat Cave!
4,113 Posts
Lol, damn, Dare beat me to it. That's what I get for opening a lot of threads then taking my sweet time to go through them and respond. :nono

·
Banned
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Depends really on what you like. From my research, the 2 piece can be more to one's liking since it offers a multitude of options. You can wear your leathers for TD's. You can also wear just the jacket when out street riding. If you prefer to wear both together, you can take off your jacket if you stop somewhere without feeling 'confined'.

On a side note, if you aren't used to the skin tight stuff, get used to it. You don't have to cut off your circulation, but if you get it loose, it's pointless to wear leathers. You want them so that they protect you, it's not about your comfort level. To my knowledge and someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, your new leathers will not feel comfortable at all. You can probably wear them around the house for a bit before your first TD to break them in. You shouldn't be able to stand well in them, or sit straight up. But they should feel better if you are in a tuck mode.

Good luck to you and congrats on your first TD...have fun man!
I'm good thanks for asking---jerk! =)

·
Banned
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hahahaha......ebay .....uh fat ass
ouch!!! see if i come running next time you guys get some 89 y/o non compliant diabetic female!!!!

fat---perhaps it's just a state of mind!!!

T1

·
Banned
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You're welcome...

So, uh, how are you? :)
Well---since you ask!!!! Good, baby is good--wants to ride motorcycles but momma won't let him (or is that me that wants him to--and really...is 6 months really THAT young?!?!)

Wife is great---hasn't left me yet--(give it time)..um--california housing market sucks donkey balls---other than that---same old...hows about you and your bad self!?!?

·
To the Bat Cave!
4,113 Posts
Well---since you ask!!!! Good, baby is good--wants to ride motorcycles but momma won't let him (or is that me that wants him to--and really...is 6 months really THAT young?!?!)

Wife is great---hasn't left me yet--(give it time)..um--california housing market sucks donkey balls---other than that---same old...hows about you and your bad self!?!?
Lol, good man thanks. Great to hear about the little one, how's being a daddy treating you? Me...I like sleep too much.

I'm looking at starting track as well, can't wait, scared shitless though, let's be honest. :fact

Didn't mean to get the thread off topic, hope you find what you want with the leathers. What closeout deals and types of leathers are you looking at?

·
Banned
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lol, good man thanks. Great to hear about the little one, how's being a daddy treating you? Me...I like sleep too much.

I'm looking at starting track as well, can't wait, scared shitless though, let's be honest. :fact

Didn't mean to get the thread off topic, hope you find what you want with the leathers. What closeout deals and types of leathers are you looking at?
Sleep is totally over-rated!! My wife is fantastic...she pretty much runs shit (including me) around the house, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Um..as for the suits, I've found A-Stars, Teknic and Shift online for between $300-$500 bucks..like I said before, I don't mind spending money, I just want to get a track day or two under my belt before I go buck-wild, but I'm not thrilled about renting shit out at the track sooooooooo....

I'm looking forward to it thought, I mean, I'm so limited on bike skills, I don't mind being the one bringing it up in the rear--hey..speaking of bringing it up in the rear..i heard you...oh..wait, that's off topic!!! =)

·
To the Bat Cave!
4,113 Posts
Damn man, do not turn this thread gay. It's unbelievable how many closet fags we have on this site. :lmao

Yeah, I hear you on that, I probably shouldn't be going as overboard as I am. But doing it this way will keep me from backing out later. Post pics of you bringing up said rear when you get out there. I'm sure we'll all enjoy it.

·
Banned
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Damn man, do not turn this thread gay. It's unbelievable how many closet fags we have on this site. :lmao

Yeah, I hear you on that, I probably shouldn't be going as overboard as I am. But doing it this way will keep me from backing out later. Post pics of you bringing up said rear when you get out there. I'm sure we'll all enjoy it.
Ha...well put! I'll be happy to post said photos!!! If/when you decide to get off your ass and make some moto-magic happen, forward a picture or two--it's not like I'm gonna stop talking to you when I see how goofy you look in your suit!!! :lmao

T1

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
ouch!!! see if i come running next time you guys get some 89 y/o non compliant diabetic female!!!!

fat---perhaps it's just a state of mind!!!

T1
don't lose your breath.....call 9-1-1 let the real guys handle it...:bow
j/k
if you were a size 40 i can help you...but since your not, maybe a custom suit??? on barf this company called tilt sells custom (cheap) leathers..i don't know how many cows have to die to fit you...but it's for 425.

·
Banned
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Wait---after looking at your sig (and being a trained observer) I see you have a "track" bike....I'm hoping this is is pedal type bike, Trek or Specialized perhaps..maybe you can sit on it in the garage and make "Moto" noises!!

T1

1 - 20 of 50 Posts