Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building an open-source track/race data acquisition and telemetry kit - take a look

https://github.com/drfancipants/MotoMonkey

Ideas, contributions, interest are all welcome!

The kit is targeted for the $200 range with the following features:
  • IMU
  • GPS
  • TM Radio
  • Analog Inputs
  • Digital Inputs
  • ECU Interface
  • SD Card Data Logging
  • Laptop or PC Pit Monitoring
I am integrating on an '05 R6 race bike. Let me know what you think or what features you would like to see in something like this.

Cheers

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
What's IMU and TM Radio?
IMU would be inertial measurements unit....accelerometers to check for yaw/pitch (lean angle, forward/rear pitch etc). Same is used in R1 etc for traction control settings with lean angle and wheelie sensors/limiters.

With the right software, these can be used as input to correct for power delivery for wheelie control and traction control. May also need wheel speed sensors for traction control.

·
Having trackday withdraws
135 Posts
Cool project! If he gets the INS working that'd be sooo sick. There's a lot of work ahead. You could accurately calculate lean angle instead of integrating a gyro like they do now.
That being said, If you need any help please reach out. I've never done anything with the intel board before, but I do thing kind of stuff for my day job.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the offer -

It's open source - so I am hoping to get a lot of contributors and/or people looking at the software.

I just posted initial code for the micro controller with a light-weight executive and a couple things integrated.

My background - guidance and control engineer with a heavy background in software. Been doing different degrees of embedded systems for years. I have a good idea how to do all pieces of this - more or less. My available time is the biggest factor - now that weekend track sessions are winding down for the year in the AZ, I should have more. That being said - any contributions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's IMU and TM Radio?
IMU would be inertial measurements unit.
Right on the IMU -

TM is for telemetry - plan is to have a radio with a 3 mile range to transmit live data back to the pit - then display the data on a real-time display (e.g. laptop).

·
Having trackday withdraws
135 Posts
Right on the IMU -

TM is for telemetry - plan is to have a radio with a 3 mile range to transmit live data back to the pit - then display the data on a real-time display (e.g. laptop).
3 miles is very ambitious. Especially with an xbee. The company I work for offers a 900Mhz telemetry solution and that has a 1W transmitter in it. Most tracks it does alright, but some with lots of elevation changes there are dropouts. I would definitely add telemetry as a further out goal. I envision that most people running this thing will be 1 man shows where they will not even use telemetry.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Agree that it's ambitious! Good points and I am thinking the same thing. I am writing the software to be hardware independent (as much as possible, low level drivers and things like that will be HW specific) so that comms can be performed with any radio - and if someone chooses no radio - no problem.

Good advice on radio priority. I am more or less a 1 man crew when I do this and I have wondered about the usefulness of a data link- I just want to see if I can do it and make it cheap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts