Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:idea: I look all around this web site nd can't find how to open the headlight. I was told to bake it at 350 for 15 minutes and it should be easy to open. Any one have a better idea or agree with this approach? I plan to create the dual headlight mod and post it so everyone can do it themselves. I don't know about anyone else but I am a broke ass fool. But I can wire stuff and JB weld shit like a mother trucker.

Ice

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Haven't tried it and rightfully you are nervous to experiment with your assembly. I would suggest trying something on the oven closer to ~200.

See if you can get one of your mechanics too tackle the project after hours. They'll do it damn cheap then.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Best way I took them off is with a heat gun you can buy at an automtive store. I didn't like the idea of baking them since it's made of plastic. It's allot of work since you have to constantly heat the glue and gently pry it loose.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Use a hairdryer or heat gun. I've heard of baking headlights (for cars) before. I've never been comfortable with the idea. I've always used a hairdryer or heatgun.

If you are going to bake 350 for 15 mins seems a bit much...sounds like you're baking a pizza...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've used the oven method to open up a set of car headlights. Same concept for bike headlight.

Unscrew any screws that look like they may hold the lens in place.

Turn on oven to lowest heat setting, I believe my oven heats to 180 deg at the lowest settings.

Put headlight on cookie tray and heat for about 6-8 minutes. The headlight should be hot to the touch but still able to hold.

Slowly pry the lens away from the body (careful you don't crack anything). If you take too long and the light cools heat it up again for a couple minutes.

* The concept of what you're doing is heating up the glue / black gunk that the manufacturer uses to seal and glue the lens to the body. With a little heat this will soften so you can take it apart.

When you're done reheat as above and then stick together (Glue will soften for reuse).

POST PICS IF YOU DO MOD YOUR LIGHT AND DIY. I'd love to try this as well.

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
yeah i used a heat gun and screw driver. be carefull where you pry on it. dont pry on the corner of the headlight. if you do, you will see the pry marks after its installed on the bike.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OC, I am planning on doing that mod myself. But I am to cheap to pay someone and highbimm wont give directions so I will design the system my way.

·
PhotoChopper
2,369 Posts
So far I've seen :

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Throw in the headlight and let it sit for 3-5 min

and :

DO NOT PREHEAT

250 degrees for 8 minutes

I'm guessing they both will work, one is just faster and more risky than the other?
If you do take yours apart, PM me with the settings you chose :popcorn:

Good Luck!

·
Huge "Member"
9 Posts
Here's what I did. I preheated the oven to 250 and threw the lights in for 5 minutes. I have done it to two sets of headlights and have not had a problem.

Also, if you are considering doing the dual headlight mod, take my advice, it is very dificult since you have to do a lot of grinding to get the lights to fit. I used an industrial dremel looking thing to eat away about a quarter inch of material plus four notches per light. It is not easy to do. It was about 2 hours of grinding and fitting before the lights would fit snugly in place. I have posted in other threads that I can make up a kit, or even install them. PM me for info.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
holy thread revival. Did you have to do that multiple times to work your way around the edge of the light? How did you handle the light...its hot?

·
where da shrooms at?
2,708 Posts
dont bake for 15 minutes youll melt the plastic, three minutes at the most and the adhesive around the headlight will be pliable and you can remove the lenses.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts