Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
2005 Raven R6
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the weather gets hot (over 100degrees) as long as the cooling system (fan, coolant etc) is operable, is the bike in danger of overheating during normal commuting?

·
2005 Raven R6
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
reason is because my buddy doesn't want to ride when its 100 degrees out due to fear of the bike overheating.

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
My only reason for not riding in 100 degrees is that its TOO DAMN HOT

Other than that...when im in stop go traffic and its warm/hot out i'll be around 190 and up to 214 with the fan on...

When its really really stupid hot, i've got up to 220-225 and i just call it a day cause thats no fun

·
Dragging Knee
1,604 Posts
The warmest I have been was 115 outside in Phoenix 2 years ago. The bike ran fine but I did get burned on my legs because the upper part of the zipper on the legs of my leathers was touching the skin. With the bike running and being on black top it got pretty nasty.

·
RU R6
1,206 Posts
260-operating temp is getting hot and should shut it down to let cool. 180-220 is norm. Although the heat will roast your legs and it's not fun. I HATE commuting on hot days!

·
to many toys :-)
457 Posts
it was around 85 today & was running in stop & go traffic at 228. fans would come on & g out. they do there job just fine.
what do you think the temps get in your car on those hot days? the fan comes on & cools it back down :popcorn:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I hit 214+ almost every day I ride. Even in "winter" as it never really gets cold for long. I feel a difference in the throttle response around 205ish but it's never given me any trouble. Been all the way up to 225 in the road and it never checked up. Like others said though, it will cook the shit out of your legs!:fact

·
Registered
52 Posts
On a warmer day moving my temp is about 195 but somethings not right cause when i roll into a gas station or home i turn bike off with red kill switch and temp rises to 260 and red light comes on just from turning the bike off so i know thats not right. Sometimes at red lights on a warm day seems to run alittle hot as it gets up to 220 224 i changed my thermostate and theres fluid so im not sure could it be temp senser? any help would be appriciated.

Dave

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
eesh, yeah, somethings not right...you should never see 260 even when you shut it off.

·
WhoDat want some of Da R6
248 Posts
My Baby runs about 185-215 on a regular Louisiana Summer day and the fan kicking on so its fine and on witer days around here when i get the balls to go out it dont get over like 190ish

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
When you shut the motor off, the water pump stops turning, thus, no circulation of coolant, and no circulation of cooled coolant from the radiator (you should never see 260 even with that said...maybe 230 at the most). My instinct is telling me that your motor is running hot from another possible major problem...head gasket, water pump seal...ect...Id get it checked out...

260 with aluminum is warpage temperatures...

·
My R6 eats you.
7,563 Posts
I rode my bike on the sun, no issues here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts