Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been seriously looking for a bike this year, and have pretty much decided that I'd like to have an R6. I found a local 2002, clear title been layed down. Fixed, painted all black. 2800 miles for $4000.

Whats the typical opinion of the early 99-02 R6's? How important is having fuel injection when looking for a street bike? I like the 03-05s, but it seems that 5-5500 is the going price.

How about a a 99-02 R6 compared to an f4i?

I hear so much about yamahas being uncomfortable.. how bad are they really?

There is a fairly local 01 F4i, salvage title 3856 miles for $4000. Should I go with this F4i?

or this R6?

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
Get the R6, don't mess around with salvage titles unless it's dirt cheap, who knows what might have happened to that bike. The r6 is actually pretty cheap, I paid 3.54k for my 00 with 16k miles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah i would go with the 6. Some states won't let you register a salvage bike and if they do u might have to pay a whole lot of money. I have a 01 r6 great bike I payed 4100 off ebay and it had 11786 miles on it up to 17000 already no problems.

·
Registered
479 Posts
i had an 00 r6, an 06 f4i, and now i went back and own an 07 r6s. definitely go with the r6. funnest bike to ride i've ever owned by far :YEA

·
My R6 shoots tequila
1,487 Posts
Nice bikes! I would be VERY cautious when buying salvage. The CBR and R6 will both be good bokes for you as long as they have been rebuilt correctly and they ride well. Just an FYI: Salvage title vehicles are worth 50% of their book value. I would never pay more than that for any salvage vehicle. They are very tough to re-sell.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One other bike I'm seriously considering is a 2003 Red/black R6. Clear title with 16,000 miles. He is asking $5000... If I can get it for a few hundred less I'll probably take it.

Whats the typical opinion on mileage on a bike? How does 16,000 compare to mileage on a car 50K or so?
heres a pic:

I had much rather avoid any transmission problem, have fuel injection and the new style of a 2003+ R6, Just have to find one right for the money.

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
That's much better than your other two options. I'd for got 4500 if you can cause if you're patient you could find an 04/05 for that price. I know I wouldn't buy an 03 without spending some quality time with the owner in a garage pulling the coils and making sure they're mitsubishis.

As for milage, well in my opinion bikes are far easier to care for than cars, because you can do most of it yourself. Example - my Audi has been flashing "Service" for 500km now but I don't have time to drop it off for the day and I don't have all of the tools and computers needed to service it. My R6, I'm doing something or another at least once a week. How the bike will hold up depends on how well she was taken care of for the previous 16000 miles and how well you'll take care of her after purchasing. I have seen one or two crusiers with 150000km on them, but the reason these are so rare is because a lot of people use their machines seasonally and don't store them right, so that cuts life, then maintenance - chains not being cared for, breaking and cracking the case - might be easier just to get a new one - oil/filter not kept on top of - engine blows - easier to get a new one. Then the most common reason for sports bikes - eventually, they get totalled.

Best advice I can give to know what to expect is to get the manual for the 2003/2004 and see what services should have been done in the past 16000 miles, ask the owner if they were done and when. Then more importantly, see what services are coming up, which parts will need to be replaced and how soon etc. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts