Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Team Yamaha Blue!
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had on 04 R6 rode it for a season then picked up an 04 CBR 1000RR at a great price last year. Its a really street friendly bike with lots of power, easy to ride. Street riding is getting boring for me so I recently purchased all my gear for the track and looking to get out a few times next season. I'm not looking to be the fastest but I am trying to become a better rider and I'm not sure a 1000 will be the right tool for that. Should I sell my 1000 for another R6? Anyone with experience with 1000 and 600 on the track please chime in!

·
Premium Member
17,970 Posts
I would say a 600 would be better for track riding especially at a beginner pace, the 600 will be more forgiving than the 100 for sure.

If I was in your shoes and was giving up the street for good I'd sell the 1000 and look for a track ready R6, it should be cheaper than buying a street bike and building up.

·
Team Yamaha Blue!
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure if Im going to give up the street totally, it is nice to get out on a nice day. It will be less for sure. I want to be sure I have control of the bike(braking and throttle control) and like you said the 600 will be more forgiving.

·
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!
4,810 Posts
I dont know a 600 is more forgiving. If youre gonna ride a bike on the street... the 1000 would be my vote since you wont have to twist the grip off to get it to move.
If youre just trying to polish your skills... nothing wrong with riding a 1000 on the track.

The 1000 will eat tires faster as your pace increases... but not much faster than a fast ridden 600.

·
Hard Parked
2,154 Posts
Sv650!!

But yes a 600 will be better than a 1000. Nothing makes me more angry than trying to pass a 1000 in a corner and then I can't catch him in the straights.

·
4,810 Posts
Sv650!!

But yes a 600 will be better than a 1000. Nothing makes me more angry than trying to pass a 1000 in a corner and then I can't catch him in the straights.
then that means you dont have enough corner speed... not the 1000 riders fault :lmao

·
Team Yamaha Blue!
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont know a 600 is more forgiving. If youre gonna ride a bike on the street... the 1000 would be my vote since you wont have to twist the grip off to get it to move.
If youre just trying to polish your skills... nothing wrong with riding a 1000 on the track.

The 1000 will eat tires faster as your pace increases... but not much faster than a fast ridden 600.
I would agree I enjoy my 1000 more than my r6 on the street.

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,936 Posts
600 for the track, 1000 for the streets( with limited track time on the 1000)

Go back to the 600 and have a blast bro

·
track is legal heroin
262 Posts
+1 on the 600 vote. out in utah the race league (mom) allows 600's to enter the gto class (1000cc) and trust me, it not only polishes up your skills racing against 1000's with a 600 but there is nothing more satisfying then woopin some guys tail when he has a 400cc advantage (if you want to call it that)!!! and while yes its niice to be able to go out on the street every once in awhile it starts getting more old (especially if your already getting bored) after my first time on the track my street fairings never went back on. sure the weekend that everyone hits you up to ride is kinda depressing once you take the track dive, its all made up for 10 fold when you hit turn 1. and me PERSONALLY (and im sure to put on my roast suit for this one) but i actually started getting really scared on the street after i started racing/riding track. it wasn't near as enjoyable, it felt like there were way to many things going on around me and i couldnt focus. and the first time you hit a canyon and you think your just taking a nice chill cruise and you start feeling your knee grab its a wake up call. i dont have the self control it seems and i dont want to kill anyone because i decided to haul a** through a canyon and didnt realize how fast i was going cause it just felt comfortable to me. but this was my experience in it, so i stay off the streets. track is addicting, and there is nothing more exciting then lining up with 20 other throttle junkies that want the exact same thing you do!!!! and ps, ppl strive for tenths in the qaurter mile, way funner trying to find tenths in a 2.2 mile race track and when you do find them, they are so much more satisfying

·
BAUCE Racing Co-Founder
550 Posts
I did my first two track days on my 08cbr1k...then sold my 929 (the day before) before my next track day to get an r6...we ride a fairly technical track so the 1k was too much...but the R6 is perfect.

A lot of this also depends on the kind of track you will be riding. if you are going to be running on a more open/fast track then as long as you have good throttle control you'll be ok on the 1k, but if you are going to run on a tight/technical track, you will be way better off/faster/safer on the 600.

·
4,810 Posts
I did my first two track days on my 08cbr1k...then sold my 929 (the day before) before my next track day to get an r6...we ride a fairly technical track so the 1k was too much...but the R6 is perfect.

A lot of this also depends on the kind of track you will be riding. if you are going to be running on a more open/fast track then as long as you have good throttle control you'll be ok on the 1k, but if you are going to run on a tight/technical track, you will be way better off/faster/safer on the 600.
I dont get this train of thought... especially if someone has seat time on both bikes. What size the engine is really doesnt matter. Both have advantages/disadvantages. Throttle control is throttle control.

And Im always amused at the "technical = 600". My local track is technical... yet all the lap records... official or otherwise are held by 1000cc machines.

·
track is legal heroin
262 Posts
I dont get this train of thought... especially if someone has seat time on both bikes. What size the engine is really doesnt matter. Both have advantages/disadvantages. Throttle control is throttle control.

And Im always amused at the "technical = 600". My local track is technical... yet all the lap records... official or otherwise are held by 1000cc machines.
well seat time isnt always whats best, imo. all tracks are different period. now you take a track like big willow, huge track, long turns for the most part. 1000cc home speaking solely as a general concencous. yes, throttle control is huge, but when you bring into lets say, braking...a 600 will outbrake a 1000cc bike 99.9% of the time (not getting into ridiculous wsbk brakes, or suspesions set ups, speaking as "us") 1000cc bikes also have a slightly larger wheel base as well. therfor the 600 will have a smaller eqauling a tighter line able to be taken in theory.so gernally speaking would be EASIER for a rider to negotiate tighter turns. now of course this is a r6 forum and im sure if the r1 forum guys jumped in we would get different opinions. and everyone has different tastes and riding techniques. lets be really honest, if stoner came out on a track with us on a 2 stroke 250 and us on our r6's he'd wipe the floor with us. so bringing into the fact of official lap records is pointless. none of us for the most part are setting records anywhere but we are out riding and having fun. the fact of the matter is this, if we went back to when most of us took the msf course and we took it in the beggining on a ninja 250 and then on our r6, most of us would perform better on a 250. some would do better on the r6. and thats what i think this comes down to.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The 600 should make you the better rider.

I would also take a look at the tracks you are likely to run. If the track has long straights, especially out of slow corners, it gets tiresome to get passed or not hang with a lesser rider down the straights, only to close up, rinse and repeat.

On the more techinical tracks there is big satisfaction passing bigger bikes and leaving them behind.

·
BAUCE Racing Co-Founder
550 Posts
well seat time isnt always whats best, imo. all tracks are different period. now you take a track like big willow, huge track, long turns for the most part. 1000cc home speaking solely as a general concencous. yes, throttle control is huge, but when you bring into lets say, braking...a 600 will outbrake a 1000cc bike 99.9% of the time (not getting into ridiculous wsbk brakes, or suspesions set ups, speaking as "us") 1000cc bikes also have a slightly larger wheel base as well. therfor the 600 will have a smaller eqauling a tighter line able to be taken in theory.so gernally speaking would be EASIER for a rider to negotiate tighter turns. now of course this is a r6 forum and im sure if the r1 forum guys jumped in we would get different opinions. and everyone has different tastes and riding techniques. lets be really honest, if stoner came out on a track with us on a 2 stroke 250 and us on our r6's he'd wipe the floor with us. so bringing into the fact of official lap records is pointless. none of us for the most part are setting records anywhere but we are out riding and having fun. the fact of the matter is this, if we went back to when most of us took the msf course and we took it in the beggining on a ninja 250 and then on our r6, most of us would perform better on a 250. some would do better on the r6. and thats what i think this comes down to.
Exactly my point. I've been riding big/liter bikes for over 11years now and to be honest, they are my favorite by far. But you have to acknowledge that the purpose and design of the 2 kinds of bikes are different.
That isn't to say that one is better than the other, just that they achieve the same result in a different manner.
Some may disagree all day but at the end of my first track weekend, I knew I would be way faster way soon on a smaller bike, given the track I ride.
I will say tho, that as long as you are practicing the proper techniques, in my eyes, there is absolutely no replacement for good training and seat time.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Team Yamaha Blue!
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The majority of my track days will be in Louden, NH not a huge track. Unfortunately my bike was stolen the week before my first track day in Oct. so I'm yet to experience it. You guys make good points. The other thing is will I ever use the full potential of my 1000? Prob not.

·
RESPECT
29,164 Posts
I've done two track days, both with my 2009 R1. I absolutely loved it. I really had no problem with throttle control, flickability of the bike or overall performance. I have a 2007 R1 that I'm building as a dedicated track bike and I honestly thing that it's all on the rider when it comes to 600/750/100 etc etc...Ride whatever you want to ride. Moto GP is bumping up to 1kcc this upcoming season, correct? Then there you go...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts