Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
rockin the '08
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode a new one in Kelowna, BC over the long weekend and I was very impressed with it.

Just wondering if anyone else here has ridden one?

·
Jonesing for track
442 Posts
Never ridden one but a few of my track buddies say the Daytona's are exploding in popularity at the track scene. Guess they are pretty bad a$$ for the track and they look pretty sick.

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
I've ridden one; full day's ride, about 10 hours and around 600 miles. Beautiful machine, delicious sounds, fabulous handling; surprisingly, it actually handles similarly to the R6, but not a twitchy as my 2001 (though I'm sure the 06+ R6 are comparably refined in handling) but basically, this bike seems psychic to me, it know when I want to lean and how much and just does it before I can complete my thought.
Anyway, it was a great ride, I was making a delivery, my friend bought it and had it imported from the UK, stopped in a border town and needed someone to bring it to where we live but he didn't have his license yet and was nervous about the long ride. I volunteered :)
If there were another six that I'd want in my garage next to the R6 and the ZZR, this is the one. Support is none existent here - they have to be imported, no dealer in the country, so its a shot in the dark kind of purchase for me.

·
Architeuthis Japonica
76 Posts
Have both an 06 R6 and an 06 675 - and both are superb motorcycles.

The Daytona handles very well and it "feels" lighter than the R6 by more than the two kilo difference. It's very narrow and is like riding a 125 while the R6 is a lot more substantial. Some people like the narrowness - others like a big tank to hang on to. The seat is about the same height on both bikes but the Daytona is again much thinner around the seat - so flat footing and moving the bike around is much, much easier.

For me, the handling on the Daytona is odd. It's very agile but perhaps a touch unpredictable. The R6 handles as well as the Daytona despite the feeling of extra weight and just feels a little more surefooted to me.

The biggest difference is the engine. The Daytona is ridden off the torque and while it does have decent top-end it doesn't compare to the slingshot kick of the R6. The triple is clinical and purposeful in it's power delivery while the R6 is *really* exciting and always "feels" fast (even if it isn't actually going that quick).

The brakes are absolutely brutal on the Daytona - and this is one area where I feel it is genuinely better than the R6. The R6 brakes are strong - but the standard chassis/suspension setup means that you can't use them anywhere near as well. I always had the back wheel floating around on the R6 under moderately hard braking - though I suspect that this can be dialled out. The Daytona just stops - it's amazing.

I think that the build quality is better on the R6. The paint is lusterous, the attention to minor components is evident. By comparison the Daytona is a little bit crude despite it's classic lines. That said, everything on the Daytona is up to the task and attention is spent on all the important components - even if the detail is lacking. The R6 is a stunning work of form and function while the Daytona is just a real riders bike (basic but excellent).

You won't be disappointed with either.

·
Registered
331 Posts
FAST!!! Makes a great track bike with minimal motorwork. Those guys on the 675's are killing the 999R's and aprilia milles on the track

·
Registered
20 Posts
If i wanted a monthly payment thats what i would have had hands down . Not cause its any better then any other bike but because i live 20 miles away from a dealer and still never seen them . The one in that pic is a SE and about 2 months ago i got to see the SE in real life and all i can say is WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DADDY is that a sexy thing .

·
R-Sex
422 Posts
rode an 07 675, pretty nasty bike, seemed to have a little more pep than the 6. handled great, hugged the road like your girl hugs my PP. haha. for real though, very nice bike. if i had the money, id prolly have one

·
Reppin' that 405
278 Posts
they look sick! i seen a guy at my work with one. they look really narrow like everyone says.

how much do they usually cost?

·
FAST 07 RED R6
200 Posts
A Local Place Where I Bought My Bike Is A Now Only A Dealer Of Triumph Motorcycles..there Pretty Cool Looking!!

·
pop wheelies
1,615 Posts
I was tossing up which bike to buy when I bought mine, It was either the 675 or the r6..guess I chose the R6 lol.

·
DARC Racing
2,338 Posts
Right now its killing everyone here in 600 Superbike classes..... Its fast and has lots of grunt out of corners.. not to mention sexy....

·
Just Burnin Time
2,220 Posts
A friend of mine just picked up an 07 for $6500... i am so jealous.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts