Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
B4B
12,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just recently got rid of two vehicles and now have a descent amount of money left over from the sales and gained back about 1200.00 a month i was spending on them. I have been toying around with the idea of a tard to cruise around the streets on. Now i know im prolly gonna get in tons of trouble with but fcuk it.....:laugh. Anyway just looking for some input on wut bikes u would prefer to have as a tard and why. Also 250 or 450? I am wanting a 450 but found this at a local dealer and its already setup and street legal but dont know if i want a 250.

http://www.velocity-powersports.com...2010J10I00I05JAMQ4330R0&veh=58418&pov=1837350

Attachments

·
Stanly the Manly
935 Posts
sweeeet. i dont know much about motards but i did learn to ride on a kawi super surpa 250 (dual sport setup similar to ^). It was waaaay underpowered on the highway at 60+ but it was a lot of fun around town and back roads. we had 60/40 tires though.

·
B4B
12,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sweeeet. i dont know much about motards but i did learn to ride on a kawi super surpa 250 (dual sport setup similar to ^). It was waaaay underpowered on the highway at 60+ but it was a lot of fun around town and back roads. we had 60/40 tires though.
yea i know im not gonna get any top speed out of a tard but looking for something fun to **** around in town with mainly.

·
-(0_0)-
152 Posts
Hell yeah, motards are awesome! thats a good looking 250 but I would def go with a 450. you wont be disappointed, plenty of power when you need it. 250s just don't cut it on the street unless you gear it way up. :YEA

·
Stanly the Manly
935 Posts
i had a bad experience on the 250 when i was going to college - some assfaces in a janky grand prix drove up along side me and started making gestures and crap for no reason. they just drove beside me and yelled for a good 2-3 miles. At one point they pulled out something that looked like a gun and pointed it at me. Nothing i could do. I could have reached over and punched the guys in the face but i would have been a sitting duck. So I memorized their plates, pulled off at a gas station and called the po po.

that would have never happened on my six.

·
Is this a segment?
17,688 Posts
I'd say a 450 but you'll get in less trouble with the 250... and that thing looks pretty nice :YEA

·
EMT/FF/Rider
1,560 Posts
i had a bad experience on the 250 when i was going to college - some assfaces in a janky grand prix drove up along side me and started making gestures and crap for no reason. they just drove beside me and yelled for a good 2-3 miles. At one point they pulled out something that looked like a gun and pointed it at me. Nothing i could do. I could have reached over and punched the guys in the face but i would have been a sitting duck. So I memorized their plates, pulled off at a gas station and called the po po.

that would have never happened on my six.
Lol random.

·
I ate your sister
533 Posts
My friend owns a wr250x and it's a hoot to blast around the city. wheelies, curb jumping and just straight up mayhem. It's decent on the highway with a top speed of 85-90 mph with my 150 lbs friend riding. the fuel injection really helps this bike actually challenge the Suzuki DRZ400SM that's a 400cc bike but with carbs.
If you're not planning to ride on the highway for a prolong amount of time, I would jump on that deal for sure.

·
B4B
12,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My friend owns a wr250x and it's a hoot to blast around the city. wheelies, curb jumping and just straight up mayhem. It's decent on the highway with a top speed of 85-90 mph with my 150 lbs friend riding. the fuel injection really helps this bike actually challenge the Suzuki DRZ400SM that's a 400cc bike but with carbs.
If you're not planning to ride on the highway for a prolong amount of time, I would jump on that deal for sure.
yea im hearing this thing is a blast and still capable of 3rd gear wheelies.....;)

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Get a DRZ if you are going to be riding it a lot. The fofiddies dont have the longevity of the drz. Its just a :fact

:secret What a lot of folks dont know is that if you put the big bore 440 kit and cams on that 400 with a mild port job and throw on an FCR carb, it will be just as fast as the stock 450s and still be more reliable. You can even do the long stroke kit and be faster than most piped 450s, at the expense of some longevity, but still more than a 450. The DRZ has a ton of potential, its cheap as shit, and its fun for the more town than dirt crowd.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Husky or KTM...
yeah, if you want to spend the whole $1200/month plus hours in your garage changing oil...and driving said oil to the proper recycling outlet....

·
B4B
12,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Get a DRZ if you are going to be riding it a lot. The fofiddies dont have the longevity of the drz. Its just a :fact

:secret What a lot of folks dont know is that if you put the big bore 440 kit and cams on that 400 with a mild port job and throw on an FCR carb, it will be just as fast as the stock 450s and still be more reliable. You can even do the long stroke kit and be faster than most piped 450s, at the expense of some longevity, but still more than a 450. The DRZ has a ton of potential, its cheap as shit, and its fun for the more town than dirt crowd.
there is a comparison between the DRX and WR on supermoto junkie. I will get u a link to it and if u don't mind tell me wut u think about it. I know u got tons of experience with em.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
... small price to pay to not have to muscle around the porky DRZ...
Because you cant cut weight off a bike with a tool kit and such... And I'd be curious as to how much those Huskys weigh...and the KTM stuff is bank. He's not racing Maxxx, so sometimes a race bike is more of a pain than its worth. Besides, there are plenty of folks on DRZs that can rock it. Same with the LTZ400 quad, same motor. I can promise you this bro, you better be on your A game on a 450 to leave me behind on my old lady's 400 quad:fact At the end of the day, I'll have spent less money on just as much fun. I was never a big fan of the DRZ until I rode the quad. Then I rode a ltz400 with the big bore/long stroke, widened out and I can tell you this, there is MAD potential in that DRZ motor. Maybe not full blown race, but its reliable as hell, simple, and with the right mods, plenty fast.
there is a comparison between the DRX and WR on supermoto junkie. I will get u a link to it and if u don't mind tell me wut u think about it. I know u got tons of experience with em.
The wr will be the better handling bike IMO due to it being lighter, but its also neutered compared to its 250 mx brother so that its motor life can be measured in miles, not hours... At that point is like a better handling, slower drz.

Really, you have to be honest with yourself. Are you going to be racing? Are you going to want more power potential than the 250 offers? Will you be okay with it if you drz isnt the coolest, best handling, lightest bike?

The best thing I can tell you is ride both. Ive ridden 250fs, and drzs, and I would honestly take the drz for fcuking around town and having fun with. There is no replacement for displacement (and large numbers of replacement parts for cheap on a bike you will be dropping).

·
Registered
52,007 Posts
Because you cant cut weight off a bike with a tool kit and such... And I'd be curious as to how much those Huskys weigh...and the KTM stuff is bank. He's not racing Maxxx, so sometimes a race bike is more of a pain than its worth. Besides, there are plenty of folks on DRZs that can rock it. Same with the LTZ400 quad, same motor. I can promise you this bro, you better be on your A game on a 450 to leave me behind on my old lady's 400 quad:fact At the end of the day, I'll have spent less money on just as much fun. I was never a big fan of the DRZ until I rode the quad. Then I rode a ltz400 with the big bore/long stroke, widened out and I can tell you this, there is MAD potential in that DRZ motor. Maybe not full blown race, but its reliable as hell, simple, and with the right mods, plenty fast.
Sorry, bro... DRZ's are fun until you ride something lighter and more powerful. Call me spoiled...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts