Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Architeuthis Japonica
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a downhill, right hander. Worst kind of corner for me. My foot positioning is wrong and lazy - and generally embarrassing. What else can be improved? Don't feel that you need to be nice. I want to learn!

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
I dont know how long you have been riding but I would said yes your foot position needs to be fixed, you should be on the ball of your foot. I also dont know if your coming out of the corner or not but maybe look thru the corner more and get alittle lower on the bike so your lean angle doesnt run out as fast and your center of balance is better. =) looking pretty good tho! what track is that?

·
Architeuthis Japonica
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've done about 10 months of proper track riding in which I've done 8 or so track days. The track is Eastern Creek in Sydney, Australia and that is just after the apex of turn 9 on exit.

·
Registered
293 Posts
talk about foot positioning... i learned riding on my own so whenever i ride the footpegs were in the middle of my foot (for quick shifting). I know it's not correct so i have to still learn a lot. But then after thorough reading, everyone said to ride with the ball of your foot. now my question is even on street riding (where you shift often) do you really need to ride on the ball of your foot? what if you need to shift often due to traffic? plus do you put the weight more on the footpegs, like shift weights on the footpeg opposite the lean....can't remember but i read this from somewhere.

·
Registered
267 Posts
jeff_o said:
talk about foot positioning... i learned riding on my own so whenever i ride the footpegs were in the middle of my foot (for quick shifting). I know it's not correct so i have to still learn a lot. But then after thorough reading, everyone said to ride with the ball of your foot. now my question is even on street riding (where you shift often) do you really need to ride on the ball of your foot? what if you need to shift often due to traffic? plus do you put the weight more on the footpegs, like shift weights on the footpeg opposite the lean....can't remember but i read this from somewhere.
Track-ball of your foot.

Street-heels(no need to drag your knees...enjoy the ride).

:toocool:

·
Dragging Knee
1,604 Posts
Overall fairly good body positioning. The only big issue is like you mentioned is your foot positioning. Seems like you have most of the fundamentals down looks like your doing a fairly good job of looking through the corner.

Also you might want to remove those peg feelers as it will scare the crap out of you and tear up the track the first time you drag those bad boys.

·
Registered
41 Posts
mojo said:
Overall fairly good body positioning. The only big issue is like you mentioned is your foot positioning. Seems like you have most of the fundamentals down looks like your doing a fairly good job of looking through the corner.

Also you might want to remove those peg feelers as it will scare the crap out of you and tear up the track the first time you drag those bad boys.
Yeah, that happened to me on my 2nd track day. Scrape the toe slider and feeler. First I sh*t'd my suit, then stood the bike up and ran off the track. Thank goodness for runoffs.

Keep looking through the turn and as far down the track as you can, have fun. :YEA

·
Do or do not...
202 Posts
Ok, so I'm fairly naive when it comes to track stuff, but its my goal to get to a track one day. But what is the ideology behind riding with the balls of your feet on the peg vs another part?

·
Registered
368 Posts
When you get some more experience on the street, you might encounter the problem some day during a sharp turn. You will feel your foot dragging the ground. The ball of your foot on the peg prevents your foot from getting hit and possibly upsetting your turn. In other words, it helps to not cause any pain, and prevent you from wrecking.

·
Registered
622 Posts
UNDATC said:
Ok, so I'm fairly naive when it comes to track stuff, but its my goal to get to a track one day. But what is the ideology behind riding with the balls of your feet on the peg vs another part?
When doing turns with bike leaning very low, you can scrape certain things on the pavement such as the pegs, exhaust and even your feet. Therefore by using the ball or tip of your feet to rest on the pegs it will keep your feet from scrapping on the pavement. Also, aftermarket rearsets/ pegs, are adjustable and can be raised higher to allow more lean angle.

·
Dragging Knee
1,604 Posts
UNDATC said:
Keeping the balls of the feet on the pegs not only keeps you from dragging feet mid corner it also helps you transition faster from one side of the bike to the other. It also keeps your feet from unintentionally putting inputs into the bike through the controls mid corner which could be cause an accident.

·
Registered
173 Posts
DUDE...you've got bigger problems. There's a giant C in front of your bike!

·
Architeuthis Japonica
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The general consensus is that feelers are bad and dangerous. Why do the manufacturers put them on?

·
Registered
159 Posts
beano said:
The general consensus is that feelers are bad and dangerous. Why do the manufacturers put them on?

maybe to push the foot peg up in case of a get off? That can be the only reason I can think of. They are rounded, so it rolls the peg up, unlike a fixed rearset, that just gets ground down.

·
Registered
159 Posts
beano said:
This is a downhill, right hander. Worst kind of corner for me. My foot positioning is wrong and lazy - and generally embarrassing. What else can be improved? Don't feel that you need to be nice. I want to learn!
Your body position looks good, your outside foot looks good, lock that outside heel in your rearset, and keep your inside foot on the ball of your foot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts