Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
2 B 1 ASK 1
185 Posts
Take a sander and trim (slightly oval shape) away at the back of the belly pan where the exhaust cat touchs. I've with Optimal Racing and FBW plastics.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
I had the optimals and the whole bottom fairing can get cooked and then you end up with fiberglass bubbling. But then, the optimal stuff is junk IMO. Glad to be rid of that stuff.

·
2 B 1 ASK 1
185 Posts
You're going to see this with a lot of the race plastics. Like I mentioned, sanding or trimming the edge where the cat touches the belly pan and add some heat shielding material and you'll be fine. You could take a more expensive approach and just get an aftermarket, full exhaust system.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I had the optimals and the whole bottom fairing can get cooked and then you end up with fiberglass bubbling. But then, the optimal stuff is junk IMO. Glad to be rid of that stuff.
Not for nothing man but have you even tried other brands? Ur the first and only person I hear actually having a complain about them besides the exhaust issue which happens on mostly all the brands. I have had crappy eBay ones and also armor bodies and in my opinion they are on par with armor bodies. Everybody that can't afford shark skins buys optimal. I have crashed 3 times on mine and one of them even flipped the bike and dented my tank and I'm still using the same fairings, NOT EVEN A HOLE ON THEM and I even broke my subframe and fairing stay. I guess I did get lucky, but still, I still have and use them and look good. I would definitely not call them junk. They fit nicely even on 600rr and they have that freaking tank cowl to match up too.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
Not for nothing man but have you even tried other brands? Ur the first and only person I hear actually having a complain about them besides the exhaust issue which happens on mostly all the brands. I have had crappy eBay ones and also armor bodies and in my opinion they are on par with armor bodies. Everybody that can't afford shark skins buys optimal. I have crashed 3 times on mine and one of them even flipped the bike and dented my tank and I'm still using the same fairings, NOT EVEN A HOLE ON THEM and I even broke my subframe and fairing stay. I guess I did get lucky, but still, I still have and use them and look good. I would definitely not call them junk. They fit nicely even on 600rr and they have that freaking tank cowl to match up too.
I have had other brands, I currently own three sets from two other brands, both of which have held up and are dramatically stronger than the crappy optimals I got. The optimals were thin, flimsy, fit like absolute shit, espeically around the windscreen and came out of the box with a cracked upper they were not willing to replace. IMO, they were poor quality and had poor customer service to match. Put them next to the Catalyst Racing Composites Ive had on my Kawasaki for 4 years now, and you can see the difference in quality and fit. The CRC stuff came marked for drilling, and fit excellent. They havent cracked yet despite being dropped, taken on and off tons of times, and being subjected to rain, sun, and snow. The paint looks great still, even. CRC is (or was) top quality and the price was good when I bought them. Best of all, they didnt require a lot of finish work to look good and be ready for paint. They also fit my stock and race exhaust just fine. The bottom fairing has also been repaired a couple of times, as its a drag bike and scrapes the ground pretty much every time you turn or launch the bike, which in turn puts stress on the upper and all of the mounts....All of which are fine to this day, where as the mounts on my optimals had hairline cracks after two removals.

If you review the first attached pic, you can see them now, on the bike, 4 years after purchase.

I also have two sets of fairings my friend Joe Machado makes. He has the equipment and moulds his from stock bodywork, then modifies them for racing. The result is an extremely durable, solid, excellent fitting race glass. The final finish requires a little more work for paint, but nothing extreme, a comparable amount of sanding and filling to the optimals I got. They were not much more in price ($450/set) than the optimals, but fit MUCH better, and didnt require me to shim or trim them to keep them from rubbing the frame. They are thicker and much more solid as well. I have been very happy with them, and I got to help out a friend. The R6 model requires the removal of the cat, so you need a midpipe or a full system, but so does the optimal, and with these, its just a precaution, not a necessity, especially if you use heat reflective material on the inside. The 636 required minor trimming in the header area only for stock exhaust clearance, and no trimming with race exhaust. These also do not crack. As for crash durability, my friend Wyatt had a set on his gsxr that he crashed 5 times and they are still usable....and fit well.

In the other attached pic you can see both sets, one on my R6, the other on my other 636.

There is no room in my crowded garage for optimals....:fact

Attachments

·
Registered
859 Posts
I have had other brands, I currently own three sets from two other brands, both of which have held up and are dramatically stronger than the crappy optimals I got. The optimals were thin, flimsy, fit like absolute shit, espeically around the windscreen and came out of the box with a cracked upper they were not willing to replace. IMO, they were poor quality and had poor customer service to match. Put them next to the Catalyst Racing Composites Ive had on my Kawasaki for 4 years now, and you can see the difference in quality and fit. The CRC stuff came marked for drilling, and fit excellent. They havent cracked yet despite being dropped, taken on and off tons of times, and being subjected to rain, sun, and snow. The paint looks great still, even. CRC is (or was) top quality and the price was good when I bought them. Best of all, they didnt require a lot of finish work to look good and be ready for paint. They also fit my stock and race exhaust just fine. The bottom fairing has also been repaired a couple of times, as its a drag bike and scrapes the ground pretty much every time you turn or launch the bike, which in turn puts stress on the upper and all of the mounts....All of which are fine to this day, where as the mounts on my optimals had hairline cracks after two removals.

If you review the first attached pic, you can see them now, on the bike, 4 years after purchase.

I also have two sets of fairings my friend Joe Machado makes. He has the equipment and moulds his from stock bodywork, then modifies them for racing. The result is an extremely durable, solid, excellent fitting race glass. The final finish requires a little more work for paint, but nothing extreme, a comparable amount of sanding and filling to the optimals I got. They were not much more in price ($450/set) than the optimals, but fit MUCH better, and didnt require me to shim or trim them to keep them from rubbing the frame. They are thicker and much more solid as well. I have been very happy with them, and I got to help out a friend. The R6 model requires the removal of the cat, so you need a midpipe or a full system, but so does the optimal, and with these, its just a precaution, not a necessity, especially if you use heat reflective material on the inside. The 636 required minor trimming in the header area only for stock exhaust clearance, and no trimming with race exhaust. These also do not crack. As for crash durability, my friend Wyatt had a set on his gsxr that he crashed 5 times and they are still usable....and fit well.

In the other attached pic you can see both sets, one on my R6, the other on my other 636.

There is no room in my crowded garage for optimals....:fact
CRC are more then dbl the price and its quite obvious you being bias since ur friend makes body work.
I will give you that they rub on fairings, but fitment on optimal is perfect. You seem to describe race bodywork like ur gonna put it on a street. I personally dont give a rats ass that it rubs on the frame, its a freaking track bike man. If your really that picky and want an OEM fitment the get CRC, or shark skins, I agree. I dont know but maybe cause in drag racing you guys barely crash. There is a 33 page thread of WERA Racers using Optimal, if its good enough for them, its good enough for me. I rather save $300 on fairings that I will eventually crash and buy me some tires.....

And as far as crowded garage I have 8 in mine of which 4 are track bikes with optimal race fairings. Here was a GSXR I owned and my 2 R6 and a couple of friends bike, all optimal

Attachments

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
CRC are more then dbl the price and its quite obvious you being bias since ur friend makes body work.
I will give you that they rub on fairings, but fitment on optimal is perfect. You seem to describe race bodywork like ur gonna put it on a street. I personally dont give a rats ass that it rubs on the frame, its a freaking track bike man. If your really that picky and want an OEM fitment the get CRC, or shark skins, I agree. I dont know but maybe cause in drag racing you guys barely crash. There is a 33 page thread of WERA Racers using Optimal, if its good enough for them, its good enough for me. I rather save $300 on fairings that I will eventually crash and buy me some tires.....

And as far as crowded garage I have 8 in mine of which 4 are track bikes with optimal race fairings. Here was a GSXR I owned
So you agree the crap you are buying is of lesser quality. I like my bikes to look decent as well as perform well, so I dont buy shit. I dont like rub marks on my frame or sloppy fit. To call optimals fit perfect is literally laughable bro. And as I said, the CRC i purchased years ago, and it was cheaper then. As for accusing me of a bias, I will put Joe's fairings against ANY of similar price and we'll see how much bias I really have bro. I could have bought other stuff for the same money, or saved a whopping $100 if I had bought the crappy optimals like you did. Your not "giving a rat's ass" is your preference, and proves nothing other than that your standards are lower than mine. But you have 33 pages of WERA to think for you, so why bother arguing. Im more than happy with what I have. You dont have to be sore about other people's opinions, I know I dont really give a rat's ass about yours...:laugh

·
Registered
859 Posts
So you agree the crap you are buying is of lesser quality. I like my bikes to look decent as well as perform well, so I dont buy shit. I dont like rub marks on my frame or sloppy fit. To call optimals fit perfect is literally laughable bro. And as I said, the CRC i purchased years ago, and it was cheaper then. As for accusing me of a bias, I will put Joe's fairings against ANY of similar price and we'll see how much bias I really have bro. I could have bought other stuff for the same money, or saved a whopping $100 if I had bought the crappy optimals like you did. Your not "giving a rat's ass" is your preference, and proves nothing other than that your standards are lower than mine. But you have 33 pages of WERA to think for you, so why bother arguing. Im more than happy with what I have. You dont have to be sore about other people's opinions, I know I dont really give a rat's ass about yours...:laugh
Fair enough, I do agree that the Optimal are lesser quality then CRC but they cost around $750 +. I dont mind that fairings rub on my track bike especially when Im having to spend $600+ for 4 track days. As long as they hold, fit, and are flexiable they are good in my book for a track bike. Only thing im saying is that they are not junk and are the best bang for the buck. As far as I know they are great and fit perfect meaning that everything lines up and all the ones I have used did not require ANY modifications to put one. And as I said I flipped my bike, dented the tank, broke the subframe and fairing stay and I still have the fairings on and look good, no holes, just minor cracks that you can even see, I will take pics if you like. Im just saying this cause I once owned armor bodies and they have nothing on Optimal, and armor bodies is in the top brands.
As far as I could see they look to line up pretty nicely in the pics I posted.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
Fair enough, I do agree that the Optimal are lesser quality then CRC but they cost around $750 +. I dont mind that fairings rub on my track bike especially when Im having to spend $600+ for 4 track days. As long as they hold, fit, and are flexiable they are good in my book for a track bike. Only thing im saying is that they are not junk and are the best bang for the buck. As far as I know they are great and fit perfect meaning that everything lines up and all the ones I have used did not require ANY modifications to put one. And as I said I flipped my bike, dented the tank, broke the subframe and fairing stay and I still have the fairings on and look good, no holes, just minor cracks that you can even see, I will take pics if you like. Im just saying this cause I once owned armor bodies and they have nothing on Optimal, and armor bodies is in the top brands.
As far as I could see they look to line up pretty nicely in the pics I posted.
as an attempt to put a rest to this, if you crash anything just right, you will fcuk it up, regardless of whether you spent $100 or $2000. I paid in the neighborhood of $600 for my CRC when I bought them, and IMO the current CRC stuff isnt as high quality as the stuff I have, so I probably wouldnt buy it again considering its current price. If I was dropping that much, Id buy SharkSkinz, no question. Really, get whatever you feel is worth your money, thats your power as a consumer. I prefer to have higher quality stuff at the expense of a little more cash. Maybe I feel better about the name, maybe I notice the quality difference, maybe I smoke too much meth.... The point is, we both have our subjective opinions of a genre of products. In reality, both products will get the job done, but sometimes just getting the job done isnt enough. For me, its not enough, but then I like to keep my bikes as clean as possible in case I do want to swap them back to street, or sell them. I would, however, suggest that before you drop the money on optimals that you at least cruise WERA or 2ontrack.com (shameless plug for Jordan) or BARF classifieds looking for a set of uncrashed high quality used glass.

Other than that, buy whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy.:laugh

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
why can't i find a link to optimal for our bike? it shows honda, kawa but no yamaha?

edit nvm it was through an online retailer not theirs directly

·
Registered
859 Posts
why can't i find a link to optimal for our bike? it shows honda, kawa but no yamaha?

edit nvm it was through an online retailer not theirs directly
I not sure why its not shown on the website, that kinda concerns me too cause I really like this brand, best bang for the buck IMO. What I do know is that they run out very quick of R6 ones, even last year me an a buddy had problems finding some.

Dunno try calling them

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
I'm going to pick up some 2005 headers so that should clear it. I really want armour bodies but that's another 200 bucks which I can use on an extra track day lol.
you may want to double check that. I tried to go with the 05 header and it did not clear and I ended up just buying a pipe and flipping the header.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I not sure why its not shown on the website, that kinda concerns me too cause I really like this brand, best bang for the buck IMO. What I do know is that they run out very quick of R6 ones, even last year me an a buddy had problems finding some.

Dunno try calling them
Sorry about it. I googles it and the first link was for an online retailer. It was on their direct website.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
I'm hoping. If not I'll ghetto rig it.
you might have to notch the top of the upper a little bit, depending on how they molded it. Its not a game changer, but it does make the MJS setup a lot cooler... or the M4 street slayer midpipe.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts