Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Jonesing for track
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Me and fellow forum member Tobanybe got plenty of wrench time on my bike this weekend. Bought and installed Optimal Race Fairings. I was skeptical on buying Optimal, and changed my mind to Rockwall, then to Factory Bodyworks and kept going back and forth between the 3 brands. Since I'm on a budget I decided to get Optimal after reading WERA members positive feedback for the $ on them. My other criteria was to order glass from a company that will sell invividual pieces when I wreck.

I haven't used other race glass so I can't compare weight or flexibility but I'm pleased with the quality for $345. Fitment wasn't much of an issue, I give fitment a 7.5 out of 10 because the windscreen doesn't match up 100% and the belly pan, upper, and tail have a few gaps. I have OCD so if something is off by just a notch I fuss about it.

I got a little crazy with the dremel and made the frame slider holes too big, but whatever. Most guys have track bikes with some, if not several flaws when you get up close to inspect. I'll fit right in :sing

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
funny i just installed my optimal racing race glass this weekend too. i'd give it about the same review.

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
The fitment looks great from my view! Great work, mang.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Me and fellow forum member Tobanybe got plenty of wrench time on my bike this weekend. Bought and installed Optimal Race Fairings. I was skeptical on buying Optimal, and changed my mind to Rockwall, then to Factory Bodyworks and kept going back and forth between the 3 brands. Since I'm on a budget I decided to get Optimal after reading WERA members positive feedback for the $ on them. My other criteria was to order glass from a company that will sell invividual pieces when I wreck.

I haven't used other race glass so I can't compare weight or flexibility but I'm pleased with the quality for $345. Fitment wasn't much of an issue, I give fitment a 7.5 out of 10 because the windscreen doesn't match up 100% and the belly pan, upper, and tail have a few gaps. I have OCD so if something is off by just a notch I fuss about it.

I got a little crazy with the dremel and made the frame slider holes too big, but whatever. Most guys I meet in expert group have track bikes with some, if not several flaws when you get up close to inspect. I'll fit right in :sing

Other things on our to do list was change the oil to Yamalube Synthetic, install Woodcraft frame sliders, and drink beer. We achieved 3 of the 4 tasks..

The task we didn't complete is the oil change because the Dbags at the Yamaha shop stripped my drain plug when I had them do my oil last September. We had to use a breaker bar to get the plug loose and we knew something was wrong. So now I'm waiting until Tuesday to haul the bike to them and raise hell and tell them they are installing a new oil pan free of charge. Picture of the stripped threads I pulled off the plug:
Looking good... You doing Hallet May 15th/16th?

·
Jonesing for track
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Looking good... You doing Hallet May 15th/16th?
I signed up for the 15th/16th but had to cancel my entry...I have to go down to Louisiana Tech for a friends graduation that weekend. I'll be at Hallett on June 6th. Question is: when are you going to go?! You can't keep showing up just to take pictures :sing

·
Registered
435 Posts
I signed up for the 15th/16th but had to take my name off the list because I forgot I have to go down to Louisiana Tech for a friends graduation. I'll be there June 6th. Question is: when are you going to go?! You can't keep showing up just to take pictures :sing
LOL... Yeah I know.

May 16th. Signed up and I'm already pumped about it and I still have 2 more weeks to go. It's going to be a long 2 weeks and probably not going to sleep much the night before.

I will probably sign up for June 6th as long as I dont thrash the bike or myself :)

·
494 Posts
Can't wait to see it painted :popcorn: good timez

·
Broken Give-A-**** Meter
216 Posts
good work guys...im gonna have to swing by and check it out firsthand :cheers

1 - 20 of 34 Posts