Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Jonesing for track
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thx. How many are needed?
I ordered a 6 pk of D-Zus from Woodcraft. I used 4 (2 on each side) for the belly pan & upper, and used remaining 2 on the tail.

it looks nice so far. you have any idea how you want to paint it yet?
Pearl black and pearl white. Belly pan, front fender, and gas tank will be black, the rest will be white. At some point I'll put subtle black decals on the white to make it pop.

·
09 R6
56 Posts
Old thread...

OP, can you comment on the flexibility of the Optimal bodywork? I'm going back and forth between Optimal, Armor Bodies and Rockwall. Sharkskinz are too much coin for the amount of time I'll be using them. I want something flexible to hold up better in a wreck. I;ve seen a video of the armor bodies on sportbiketrackgear and thoses are super flexible.

·
Jonesing for track
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Old thread...

OP, can you comment on the flexibility of the Optimal bodywork? I'm going back and forth between Optimal, Armor Bodies and Rockwall. Sharkskinz are too much coin for the amount of time I'll be using them. I want something flexible to hold up better in a wreck. I;ve seen a video of the armor bodies on sportbiketrackgear and thoses are super flexible.
If you're willing to fork over $600 and some change I'd go with Armour Bodies in a heartbeat. The flexibility is alright on the Optimal, it's a little on the stiff side but much better than Hotbodies (Hotbodies is/was super stiff). I'd give it about 6 out of 10 for flexibility. I don't know anything about Rockwall's flexibility.

I've been happy with the Optimal fairings so far. Haven't crash tested them yet... In the event that I need to replace some bodywork, Optimal sells individual pieces for cheap. I don't know if the other brands you listed offer individual replacements.

·
slow guy
4,400 Posts
Did you buy directly from optimal? I've found optimal race glass on the WERA forums for $355 shipped, just curious if your price included shipping or not? I'm looking to buy a set over winter.

·
Jonesing for track
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Did you buy directly from optimal? I've found optimal race glass on the WERA forums for $355 shipped, just curious if your price included shipping or not? I'm looking to buy a set over winter.
I went through the vendor on the WERA forum: Superbikestore for $355

·
No Tracks, Just Dragons
205 Posts
What kind of full system are you running? i'm wondering if i'm gonna have to cut a hole in the bottom for my Leo SBK exhaust

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
What kind of full system are you running? i'm wondering if i'm gonna have to cut a hole in the bottom for my Leo SBK exhaust

SikBlu has a full Leo on his 09 and I dont think he had to cut his optimal fairings at all. Ask him to be sure tho'.

Also checkout WFOriders.com for local TX based forum.

·
Premium Member
30,470 Posts
you don't have to cut - but they MIGHT touch (or come pretty close to touching) so you might have to insulate it and/or wrap your collector pipe.

i have some ebay fairings on my bike and my leo just BARELY touches the belly.

·
My R6 is trouble.
950 Posts
Sorry to resurrect the thread, but I'm installing a set of Armour Bodies superbike kit on my 07 and I'm having a few problems/dislikes. The dislikes: the patches they put on the kit where you drill don't always line up with the dents they put into the top of it to drill into it and the under tail doesn't fit the upper tail without gaps. So far I've only worked on the tail and have come to a point that I chose to stop and ask questions. There is a piece that comes with it, I believe it is the seat pan based on the fact that it is a small piece and it about 5X more rigid than the rest of the kit. All instructions are vague and videos I have watched have the sport kit install that retains stock seat, anyone know exactly where and how this piece gets installed? Pictures would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes, it's probably the seat pad and I think you only have to use it if you ditch the stock seat. It's meant to strengthen the area below the seat the same way the stock seat's foam is mounted on a thick piece of plastic.
Check out this thread: http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97823

·
Dangerously Irish
9,552 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Currently on my way to install SP-Composite body panels, but need more info of how you guys install the windscreen on these race fairings.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts