Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to renew my air filter. The bike is just about to hit 10k miles. Brake fluidwas done when I did the SS lines. Oil/filter is fresh. New 520 and sprockets keep the bike geared perfectly. Now I need a new filter. Partial because of mileage. Partial because I feel like working on my bike. Do you guys recommend BMC or what?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
How often are you supposed to change the air filter? My bike just hit 10,000 miles but I bought it at 5,600 at a stealership yet never changed the filter.

·
RU R6
1,207 Posts
I would just look at it and see if it's dirty. It'll vary depending on how dusty an area you ride in...I think for stock, it's like 10k. More than likely your's is still the original filter. Doubt the stealership will bother changing it for resale.

Most have K&N or BMC or GYTR.

Who makes the GYTR filters?

·
DARC Racing
2,338 Posts
yeah you can wash a stock filter on gentle with no soap, and air dry...... install with no filter oil for a little better air flow.... My 03 went 4 years doing this and still looks new... Did it to my 99R6 and went with BMC on my race 06 R6 They do wear out... They are reusable.. just not for life...

Second: BMC is where its at if you are gonna bother.... Get the race one with no air dam.... Tis awesome....

Lastly you should be cleaning or changing your air filter according to maual or when ever it shows dirt.... I clean mine at least twice a year if not more....

·
I Heart My R6!
392 Posts
For the BMC Race Filter, don't you need to run a PCIII with it?
Isn't the difference between the race one and the standard one is that the race filter gets more air flow correct?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah you can wash a stock filter on gentle with no soap, and air dry...... install with no filter oil for a little better air flow.... My 03 went 4 years doing this and still looks new... Did it to my 99R6 and went with BMC on my race 06 R6 They do wear out... They are reusable.. just not for life...

Second: BMC is where its at if you are gonna bother.... Get the race one with no air dam.... Tis awesome....

Lastly you should be cleaning or changing your air filter according to maual or when ever it shows dirt.... I clean mine at least twice a year if not more....
This is going to sound total squidish, but does it really make a sound difference?

·
I'm To Sexy For My Raven
2,709 Posts
This is going to sound total squidish, but does it really make a sound difference?

Believe it or not but, yes it doe's make a sound difference. at least on my 06 with a GYT-R filter it doe's.

·
Registered
52,013 Posts
BMC FTW!!!

I would just look at it and see if it's dirty. It'll vary depending on how dusty an area you ride in...I think for stock, it's like 10k. More than likely your's is still the original filter. Doubt the stealership will bother changing it for resale.

Most have K&N or BMC or GYTR.

Who makes the GYTR filters?
K&N

also look at pipercross filters.
very nice.

honestly tho OEM filters are tough to beat.
+1 pm the PiperCross... great stuff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts