Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up an 08 R6 a couple weeks back and just got around to replacing a few things... Currently working on a sprocket change and ran into a major issue with the front sprocket. The nut was extremely hard to break free, eventually got it off with an impact wrench but some of the threads seem to be quite messed up. The new nut screws on 3-4 turns then starts to bind.

Is the output shaft salvageable? I've heard of others slamming the nut on and tack welding so it can't back off. This doesn't sound like the best way to handle it though.

Any input would be appreciated!

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,175 Posts
R6, or R6S? Either way, that shaft is toast. The way to correctly fix that would involve splitting the motor apart and replacing the shaft.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
R6, or R6S? Either way, that shaft is toast. The way to correctly fix that would involve splitting the motor apart and replacing the shaft.
It's an R6. That sucks, I was hoping there would be some way to repair it enough to be able to get the nut on, really don't want to tear down the bike and get into the motor right now.

·
nova r6
3,227 Posts
Ouch, chances are very slim to none but maybe a machine shop can clean those threads some. If it is a regular R6 (non s model) that spot looks like where the sprocket nut is supposed to be peened onto the shaft to lock it in place. But if they cant clean those threads yea youre either running it home and welding or splitting the motor.

Here is a link to an ebay post for the output shaft showing the spot.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,175 Posts
You might be able to get a die on that. The diameter is an M20. But I don’t know off hand what the thread pitch is. If you do get a die for it, you’d have to set the sprocket on the shaft, loop the chain around it and around the rear sprocket, temporarily slide the master link on and block the wheel from turning by putting a 2x4 through the wheel, under the swing arm. Then you’d be able to turn the die to cut a new thread.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts