Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have been riding dirt bikes since I was 13, I have only been on the street for about 3 months. My girlfriend ride too a little less time on bikes then. An she recently said I am riding a little too hard. I can kinda agree with her. But my question is how do I deal with overconfidence? i don't want to get myself hurt or into a situation I could have avoided. Any help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol I wish I could afford it, with prepping your bike, possibly get track fairings, and the fee for the day. It's kinda more then I put out for it right now:/

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Simple. If you value your life you'll calm down. You haven't had the fear put in you yet and think these bad things won't happen to you. Google motorcycle wreck images. That can happen to you

·
2 > 4
156 Posts
Lol I wish I could afford it, with prepping your bike, possibly get track fairings, and the fee for the day. It's kinda more then I put out for it right now:/
I don't know where you live, but beginner level track days usually don't require anything in the way of bike prep. You need to have the right gear (which you already have RIGHT?) and tires and brakes with 50% life. I pay $175-200 for the track day.

If that is too $$$ for you, speeding/reckless driving is too $$$ for you :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't need to look up wrecks I'm an EMT and I have seen my share of motorcycle downs. It's when I'm riding I feel a little too free. And I'm 22

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol and yea it's not so much speeding. I only really go over the speed limit to pass someone or to keep a little safety bubble around me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I can't agree more with going to a track to really learn your riding level and get a reality check. You'll learn more about yourself and your riding in 1 track day than you will in 10 years of riding on the street. In my opinion and experience, getting on the track is a very humbling experience. I rode street for about 5 years before I did my first track day. After my first day I no longer have a desire to go fast on the street. Definitely invest in the proper gear and go to the nearest track when you can.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Maybe I will try and penny pinch a little more and get a track day in
Not to be an ass... but every street guy Ive heard claim they ride "hard" does not. And to add insult before injury, there are usually glaring mechanical defects that state the contrary as well. Leaking fork seals, dirty brake fluid, tire edges untouched, stock peg feelers still intact, etc.

At the very least I would hope you have a set of leathers. Im often amused at street guys that "need" an S1000RR but dont have enough $$$ for a set of off the rack leathers.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
Save for the track, or take the money you wasted buying a sportbike for the street and get something else.

Either your girlfriend is bitchy and slow, or you are riding like a jackass and don't realize it.

I'll need pics of girlfriend before making a decision. Since you are 22 and asking on a forum how to deal with over confidence, I'm putting money on the second.

I don't need to look up wrecks I'm an EMT and I have seen my share of motorcycle downs. It's when I'm riding I feel a little too free. And I'm 22
I also have a friend who has been an EMT for about 15 years. He still rides with the bare minimum of gear. His leather jacket isn't even a motorcycle jacket. You know why? Because he hasn't had a bad enough wreck to experience first hand what will happen to him. He's only fallen over in parking lots. You can look at all the pictures you want, and even see stuff in person, but you won't truly know the feeling of a broken body and a broken bike until they happen to you. Skin grafts suck, and they suck for months and months.

BTW, if you like that kind of work get your shit done now to become a paramedic. After too long as an EMT, you can lose money when transferring over to being a paramedic (which makes more money).

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
At the very least I would hope you have a set of leathers. Im often amused at street guys that "need" an S1000RR but dont have enough $$$ for a set of off the rack leathers.
No kidding. See that kinda crap all the time.

:nono

·
Living The Dream
3,806 Posts
ive ridden with people who "think" they ride hard and really dont..well they accelerate very quickly but thats about it cant split lanes or take a turn to save their life..and ive ridden with people that are bat sh!t crazy both on the track and on the streets....agree with going to the track and realizing what fast really is....if youre breaking the law to the point where youll get thrown in jail and people are wanting to beat your ass on the daily then i would suggest slowing down...if youre older than 15 years old you should know right from wrong

·
Formerly UnknownResource
490 Posts
Didn't take that fact that I could die riding a motorcycle seriously until I had my wreck. Now I ride completely different. Much more level headed and not influenced by other riders. There's a lot of shit on the sides of the road that'll kill you. Next time you're out, take a look at every road sign and tree you pass and imagine running straight into it at the speed you're traveling. Doesn't usually end well.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Go to the track and you'll understand why a lot of us don't really ride on the street anymore - you realize "riding hard" is irrelevant to street riding. If you go through Sportbike Track Time, they always offer a free trackday at nearly every event for first-timers in a forum drawing. There are usually only about 6 people who enter so your chances of winning are very good. Rent some leathers or borrow a spare set from someone (most people are willing to share their extras) and find someone to hitch a ride with and split the gas. You don't need as much as you think to get out there and a lot of the regulars are always willing to give a helping-hand.

·
Hey...watch this
574 Posts
I will also do a bit more digging on track fees
OK, here you go. The best deal you are going to find for a track day, and it's this weekend at TGPR. Only $120 for the whole day. Hosted by X-Act Motorsports. (Google it) They have some very good CR's that are more than happy to help you if you want it. See you there.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts