Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Horny for R6!
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just a quick question. Is it possible to over rev the engine if you hit and surpass redline, or is there a rev limiter that kicks in? Like does the engine just cut off the fuel injectors when the redline is hit? Also, if it does limit the revs, does bouncing off the rev limiter damage the engine at all, or have any other negative effects?

Hypothetically speaking, if I wanted to try a max speed run, and I am in 6th gear, will holding the throttle wide open until I achieve max speed harm anything, or will it just max out and thats it?

Might be a stupid question, and I am pretty sure I know the answers, but I just wanted some confirmation.

Thx guys.

·
R is for respect!
1,623 Posts
you will be fine if you want to do a top speed run,that is what the rev limiter is there for.

·
Zombies may bite!!!!
1,182 Posts
I just went out for a quick ride up and down I-4 for a quick adjustment hit the rev limit in both 1 and 2 gears and I have extended the Red line on my bike 500+ rmps.

I would not recomend doing it, but the rev limiter is there for your protection not enjoyment.

If you have cams and head work and degreed the cams in you can raise your rrev limit and still be safe.

Top speed run I would not recomend on the street, even if you have a clear street where no one drives it's not a contoled enviorment, dirt, mud, pot holes, squires whatever can get in your way.

Plus if you dont have a steering damp there is a chance that you will get some front wheel float and start a tank slap not goos at 160+.

How long have you been riding? Tunel vision happens very easliy at 150+ so be carefull.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts