Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is overheating! Temps getting up to 240!!!! Fans are turning on at 210 but it doesn't help. Doesn't cool down even when moving. thermostat is good. New radiator cap. No blockage in teh radiator. I then noticed a small water drip coming from the oil pan! Oil looked ok. Is it possible I have a bad head gasket? any other ideas?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would drain some of the oil out and look for a white milky substance in it. Fingers crossed it’s not that.

How many km on the bike?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
already drained the oil and it looks good. I have a leak at the thermostat. I don't see a gasket on the cover or in the parts diagram. should there be some type of sealant on this cover?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its an 08. The drip at the oil pan is of course from the leak at the thermostat! I panicked and thought the worse! Why the hell is the water not cooling down? Bad radiator?

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
did you pressure test the cooling system??? Real easy to tell if the headgasket is holding. 2008... did you check your waterpump impeller?? They go bad

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I pulled the cover on the water pump and checked the blade and that it spun freely. No issues there. I guess pressure testing the cooling system will be next. If head gasket was bad shouldn't I see this in the oil? Or coolant bubbling?

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
not necessarily. The pressure test is to see if there is a way for air to enter.
Could be a bad clamp, cracked jacket, or broken over flow. Im gona bet a small crack.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
small crack? where? in the block? Is a pressure test going to detect this? And would this be the reason the bike is overheating so badly?

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
small crack? where? in the block? Is a pressure test going to detect this? And would this be the reason the bike is overheating so badly?
A pressure test will determine IF your cooling system can hold pressure.
If you add pressure to the system... let it sit overnight it should be the same in the morn. The system has to be full of fluid.

You could have a small crack in the water jacket. Seen this happen on a race bike. Basically it will weep a small amount. You could have a failing hose. You could have a bad water pump... lots of things. Might take a good flat rate guy about 2hrs to figure out.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Wonder if coolant pump impeller spinning freely means the shaft & impeller are turning properly or is the impeller spinning free on the shaft so it doesn't turn? Suggest starting up with the radiator cap off, full of water, look for movement. If no movement, then pump is bad or some passage is <really> blocked.

·
Yamaha Blue
26 Posts
I had the same problem, replaced the radiator with a new one from partzilla and now the bike is so cool my fans barely ever kick on now. I know it might sound like a simplistic response but sometimes radiators just won't cool anymore. If you don't want to spend the cash, you can try a coolant flush first. But the leak is a concern... Do an in depth inspection of the radiator to ensure no leaks or cracks.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
In theory, should be able to test your radiator capacity by using an infrared temperature reader at the inlet and outlet points. You should see a temperature difference.

Also, when using that cooling system pressure tester, absolutely avoid over pressurizing the system; which is easy to do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts