Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
yamaguy
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks !
I have an 09 r6s with 6500 miles. No clue if the coolant was ever changed before me but I doubt it. When I'm riding running temps are normal it doesn't over heat or anything and when stuck in traffic it goes up to about 214 then back down when the fans come on.

It's when I turn it of that I'm worried about, if I'm at say 200 when I pull in my driveway and kill the engine I can see my temp climb really high to almost 235. Once when it was really hot, around 100F I saw it climb to about 242 and my red overheating light came on. Keep in mind it's only right after I turn it off and it's sitting. I know since there is no coolant or air flow the temp goes up but is it normal for it to go up that much?

I don't Wana shut off my bike and it climb over 240 again and come back out to see my block cracked or my heads warped or some major engine problems

What do you guys think? Should I change my coolant, just for maintance at least?

Also what I do sometimes I leave the key on for a few minutes so the fans help it cool off a bit quicker.

I really have no piece of mind turning of my bike and walking inside not knowing my bike isn't overheating

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
That's normal I do believe
If the coolant hasnt been changed you could try water wetter and distilled water. Or engine ice.

·
yamaguy
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to add that out of the 7 r6's that I ride with mine is the only one who does this, everyone else's temp stays pretty much at the same temp or goes up like 3 or 4 degrees. Doesn't go up 30 degrees like mine does

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Water Wetter will NOT make the bike run cooler.
correct, I use water wetter. I was mostly saying if the coolant hasn't been changed it prly needs to and water wetter and engine ice are popular to use.

·
Parts Pimp
26,473 Posts
That's normal I do believe
If the coolant hasnt been changed you could try water wetter and distilled water. Or engine ice.
Yea, it's gonna go up when you stop the bike and shut it off. The coolant in the water jackets are gonna absorb ALL the heat from the cylnders and head. The exhaust will also drive heat into the rad and coolant as you stop. The whole bike gets so dam hot I'm not surprised.

Tons of R6's will be sitting, not running, but with the key on, and after 10 seconds or so, the temps rise and the fan goes on, and you run over and shut the key off.

On race bikes, there are no fans. They pull in the pit and put a fan in front of the bike, that's it.

I forgot to add that out of the 7 r6's that I ride with mine is the only one who does this, everyone else's temp stays pretty much at the same temp or goes up like 3 or 4 degrees. Doesn't go up 30 degrees like mine does
The coolant system may have water/moisture in it or the coolant sucks and is boiling. It wouldn't be a bad idea to flush the system out with distilled water then throw something good in there like Engine ice or maxima coolant. Both of which I can get you a smokin deal on. :fact

·
Parts Pimp
26,473 Posts
Change the coolant out anyways.

And if you leave your fan on after you killed the engine it's going to suck your battery dry.
And not accomplish too much either since the water pump isn't spinning...

·
R6 Newb
169 Posts
My bike shoots up to 212 on a standstill, or at a traffic light. It's normal, and this has caused my bike to shut off until the engine cools off a bit. I did the coolant flush early this season too.

·
yamaguy
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i mean i know its normal for it to go up but mine can go from like 200 to 230 in a minute or so once i kill the engine.

I've even seen it go past 240, so i dont wana walk away knowing my engine is above those temps

·
Registered
541 Posts
I was running average 200 and on hotter days around 220..

Last week I changed my coolant...

Now my average temp is 160 and high temp is 180(even though its hotter now)

LOVE IT!

def. recommend changing fluid.. takes a good 20mins to do.. no biggie.

I used 50/50 Prestone PreDiluted

·
Premium Member
17,970 Posts
I can only guess what BMW coolant costs :sing.
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=MorePartInfo&PartID=544070&siteid=214672&catalogid=4462
20+shipping a gallon, you mix it 50/50. The bike will take much less than two gallons.

So, not that much.

This is 13 for 50/50, so more expensive than BMW.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Prestone-50-Antifreeze-Coolant-Gal/dp/B000GKTYNI[/ame]

BMW parts aren't that much more than any other non US cars, it's the dealer labor charges that are insane.

·
Mario J's Apple Juice
8,180 Posts
I was running average 200 and on hotter days around 220..

Last week I changed my coolant...

Now my average temp is 160 and high temp is 180(even though its hotter now)

LOVE IT!

def. recommend changing fluid.. takes a good 20mins to do.. And another thread. no biggie.

I used 50/50 Prestone PreDiluted
fify

·
engineering miracle
33 Posts
You should check your manual. you shoud be able to find a PDF manual online and it will tell you what is normal and what is dangerous. in my 09 manual all stipulations for dangerous temps are given for a running engine wich I would take to mean the the heat bleeding out through the coolant is normal and a good thing when the bike is shut down.
the temp you see on your display isnt engine temp, its coolant temp. that being said I would check your coolant. and if your coolant is boiling, you'll be able to hear it when your bike shuts down before your fan kicks in.

·
2005 R6
78 Posts
This entire post says how it is normal for bikes to do this. Don't really know what else would be expected. Its bad to run the engine at high temps but it just sitting while off is fine. Especially since the temp gauge is reading the coolant temp, not the temps in the head.

All that heat from when the bikes running needs to go somewhere. With the bike off it quickly heats up the coolant in the head and that heats the whole system to that temp. Your bike is not getting hotter, only the coolant is.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts