Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a brand new 09 R6 a couple weeks ago and it seems to be overheating. Today I hit about 250 miles total on he bike, and it's all stock except for a couple cosmetic things. When going after first starting it, the temp usually stays around 169-175, but if I have to stop at a light it goes up over 200. Not only that, but when I get going again, it's hard to get it below 185, and usually stays around 185 and 195 depending on my speed, I think I got it back down to 179 a couple times. Yesterday it got all they way up to 234, the highest I've ever seen on a bike I've been on. That was in stop and go traffic. My fan comes on at 214, and it was kicking on and off constantly.

My old bike (03 R6 with 30k miles) never got that hot even in stop and go traffic. Cruising would be between 168 and 172, and would go right back there after being stopped at a light. For the 3 years that I had it, I only sat it over 200 a few times.

Do these newer bikes just run hotter, or will it run hotter for a while being brand new and still breaking in? Or could there be a problem that I need to look further into?

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
O ok cool, it kind of just caught me off guard that there is that much difference in temp. Doesn't help that I'm paranoid as hell about this kind of thing lol.
Its all good...were generally pretty over protective with our new loves :love

·
Registered
25 Posts
So i didnt want to start a new thread my bike got to 244 today checked coolant looks full so what can be causing this do i need to change it and if so what kind of coolant is the best

·
Mario J's Apple Juice
8,180 Posts
Some history would be nice. How long since you have the bike? Year of it? Last coolant flush?

If it gets that high you should pull over turn it off and let it cool down.

Yamaha's Run Hot

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bike is a 09 r6 i bought it brand new has 11000 miles on it and never changed the fluid i have checked and topped off but never changed

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Some history would be nice. How long since you have the bike? Year of it? Last coolant flush?

If it gets that high you should pull over turn it off and let it cool down.

Yamaha's Run Hot
huh??

Shutting the motor off when its 240 degree "hot" is asking for trouble. As soon as the coolant stops circulating the engine temp gets even higher!

No vehicle runs "hot" as normal mode of operation. Typically stock bikes have too much glycol in the cooling system. Glycol does not transfer heat well and hence the elevated operating temps.

Only other suspect for "hot" running yamahas is ones with air in the cooling system... which should be air/liquid tight as a general rule.

·
Mario J's Apple Juice
8,180 Posts
Yamaha Owner's Manual said:
Coolant Temperature Warning Light
The warning light comes on if the engine overheats. If this occurs, stop the engine immediately and allow the engine to cool.

Under 103F Message displays as low, go ahead with riding.
104-242F temperature is displayed, go ahead with riding.
243 - 283F temperature display flashes. warning light comes on. stop the vehicle and allow it to idle until the coolant temperature goes down. If the temperature does not go down, stop the engine.
above 284F message hi flashes. stop the engine and allow it to cool.
I'm saying Yamaha's running hotter than other bikes. Not hot in general.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am going to change the coolant tomorrow and see if that helps. So what should i use water wetter or Ice ? I noticed the last couple times riding it that is was running hotter then norm but not this hot. Any help would be much appreciated THANKS

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
I use water wetter and it works very well. Be sure to use distilled water when filling it back up. I use roughly half a bottle of water wetter and mix it into a gallon of distilled water. You should only need about 3 quarts of coolant mix to re-fill the system. I usually buy an extra gallon of distilled water to do a quick flush with.

·
Your gay Bappert
72 Posts
Good info here, how often should your coolant be changed? I bought my brand new r6 spring of 2010 and was wondering If i would have to flush for 2011?

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
Once a year is good practice. But realistically once every 2-3 years at the most. The big thing is to be sure that the water is clean and is always full in the expansion tank. I do it once a year, but others get away with longer. It is so cheap and easy to do that once a year is no biggie.

·
slow guy
4,409 Posts
Totally normal bro...
:yes
I use water wetter and it works very well. Be sure to use distilled water when filling it back up. I use roughly half a bottle of water wetter and mix it into a gallon of distilled water. You should only need about 3 quarts of coolant mix to re-fill the system. I usually buy an extra gallon of distilled water to do a quick flush with.
Once a year is good practice. But realistically once every 2-3 years at the most. The big thing is to be sure that the water is clean and is always full in the expansion tank. I do it once a year, but others get away with longer. It is so cheap and easy to do that once a year is no biggie.
Good info Luke. I'm doing mine this year as I know it's never been changed yet and I plan on hitting the track.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks luke it seamed to work i rode it around and would not get above 175 WAHOO..I even let it sit the garage and the fans kicked on at 214 and only hit 217 and then drop back down to 200...The real test is going to be tomorrow i will let you all no.

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
Sweet......Be sure to check the expansion tank again after the bike cools. You should find that you need to add more fluid to bring it back to the full line......

·
Registered
25 Posts
It worked thanks again i went for a 2hr ride and would not go over 165 wile riding and at stops 200. I made sure to run before and put the plastics back on to make sure it was at the full line. Plastics are pain to get off and on due to the 2 clips in the front LOL Thank you for the advice...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts