Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Instead of loosening my drain bolt I overtightened it by between an 8th and a quarter of a turn. I was using a box wrench not a 1/2 inch ratchet or something big, so right when it started turning I realized. It was my first time changing the oil on a bike, absent minded moment. I literally had just said to myself, don’t tighten this by accident since it’s flipped, and then did it anyway.

Anyways, my question for you all is, I didn’t see any threads from the pan on the bolt, and it seemed to tighten up fine when I reapplied it, should I drop the pan and check for any threads that may have come undone? I have a fear of metal shavings in there now. I didn’t refill any oil yet. It’s a 2018, second oil change, like 1500 miles, so for me it’s essentially a brand new bike, I want to do things right.

Thank you in advance I appreciate any response.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
If there were shavings the oil filter would catch it. Engine might still be new enough that there'd be a tiny number of shavings in the oil regardless. From high noon at the OK Corral, Lefty-loosey, right-tighty. Started to crush the oil filter after making a similar mistake with a past car. Simple mistakes, humans sometimes make. Hell, I even watched a bird trip and fall on a sidewalk. Keep wrenching.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,242 Posts
Upside down can get you... Don't be afraid to lay on the floor to look at the fastener and get the direction straight... Tighten it until it strips, then back it off a half turn.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,242 Posts
It's like as a cnc machinist, the joke is to make the a dimension over sized then back it off a few thousandths.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Taking it for the first time out of the season tomorrow.

Just final confirmation, we are not concerned that the few thread shavings (if there even are any) could find their way into the motor from the bottom of the oil pan right?

Thank you!

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,242 Posts
Unless you invert the oil pan, it will stay at the bottom.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts