Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys.

I did my first two track days this year, both at Putnam. The first was in June and the last was in September. I have ridden on the street for several years and finally was able to start with the track days.

I did all the drills and tried to soak up all the coaching, and I ejoyed every minute of it, but both times, I came away with extremely sore knees when working on my body positioning, pointing my foot and knee, moving my butt off the seat, and sticking the knee out. I'm not dragging my knees or anything, I think it's just the force of actually weighting the footpeg so much (or maybe trying to hard) when riding on the track. My right knee tends to be considerably worse than my left, which I attribute to the track having quite a bit more right turns.

My question is, can anyone tell me what could be causing this, and how to alleviate it?

For a little background info, I use my street bike, which is a 2009 Yamaha R6, entirely stock. It does not give me sore knees on the street. I work out about 3 times/ week. I'm not in perfect shape, but I'm not necessarily out of shape either if you know what I mean.

Thanks in advance for all the help I know I'll receive.

·
Parts Pimp
26,472 Posts
Post an on track pic of you riding.

My knees are shit, I'm old as dirt now, and my knees feel fine on the track. Probably one of the few parts of me that doesn't ache after a TD

·
Registered
303 Posts
I agree with relaxing, when I first started riding dirt bikes I got arm pump so bad and my buddy told me to loosen my grip and relax and that helped out a bunch so relaxing might do the same for your knees, and how is Putnam I've been wanting to do a track day there cause it's only a few hours away

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have any pics of me riding on the track, but I'm sure it's safe to say that my form/body position needs help in all areas lol.

I was curious about adjustable rearsets, too, as I've never had the chance to ride a bike with them or anything. Maybe someone who has good experience with them will give some advice.

Relaxing is probably something I still need a lot of work on as well. You know how your first track day goes; you're excited, scared, nervous, and ecstatic all at the same time. I was probably feeling roughly the same on my 2nd track day as well.

Putnam is the only track I've ridden, besides the "parade" laps they let you do around the GP track at Indy during GP weekend, and I loved it. I met a lot of good guys there and just had an all around good time. One of the instructors made a comment it was one of the safest tracks for track days, too, due to the ample run off room for all but one of the turns. My only complaint is that there are 10 turns, and 8 of them are right handed. I just wish it was a little more even. But that's a pretty minor complaint. Hopefully next year I'll either be able to hit Autobahn in Chicago or MidOhio once.

·
Knee drags YOU!
1,167 Posts
I feel you OP. Knee/leg pain is probably my biggest body issue at the track.

Hanging off the bike, I've got almost all my weight on that inside foot. Stock rearsets here aswell.
I've actually had to pit briefly before because my knees have gotten so sore.

I'm going to try some stompgrips next year, hopefully they'll allow me to hold onto the tank better with my outside leg.

·
Parts Pimp
26,472 Posts
I don't have any pics of me riding on the track, but I'm sure it's safe to say that my form/body position needs help in all areas lol.

I was curious about adjustable rearsets, too, as I've never had the chance to ride a bike with them or anything. Maybe someone who has good experience with them will give some advice.

Relaxing is probably something I still need a lot of work on as well. You know how your first track day goes; you're excited, scared, nervous, and ecstatic all at the same time. I was probably feeling roughly the same on my 2nd track day as well.

Putnam is the only track I've ridden, besides the "parade" laps they let you do around the GP track at Indy during GP weekend, and I loved it. I met a lot of good guys there and just had an all around good time. One of the instructors made a comment it was one of the safest tracks for track days, too, due to the ample run off room for all but one of the turns. My only complaint is that there are 10 turns, and 8 of them are right handed. I just wish it was a little more even. But that's a pretty minor complaint. Hopefully next year I'll either be able to hit Autobahn in Chicago or MidOhio once.
Dang, get a pic. I'm sure there was a track photographer there. Link us to a pic of you on his site or whatever.

Adjustable rearsets are the business. BUT, they are gonna be higher from the ground. You may be able to adjust em towards the back of the bike to let your legs extend a bit, but don't expect too much from that in regards to an increase in comfort. The main reason for the rearsets is to get the pegs further off the ground, and to have them be solid state pegs that don't fold. This offers better grip and stability on the pegs. Higher up position allows you to really lay on the bike more and get off it while keeping your outside knee planted into the tank.

·
Super Mod
1,292 Posts
I tend to get some knee pain in my right knee since there are so many right turns on both NJMP tracks. Usually after the day is over I have trouble walking for a while....but my body sucks so that could be why

·
A work in progress...
13,662 Posts
Sounds like you need to stop sucking dick on your knees. No but OP you said Putnam, as in Putnamville IN? Where are you located?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice on getting off my knees...I'll get a stool to sit on next time lol
I was wondering how long it'd take someone to put up that reference. Technically, my two shouldn't count, so it was less than 10.

I'm a little more than an hour east of Indy, or about 2 hours or so from Putnam. I'm hoping to get back to Putanm at least a couple times next season, and maybe out to Mid Ohio and/or Autobahn once. Those two are a lot farther, though, so we'll see how that works out. I see you're from Indiana...I'm guessing you know you're way around Putnam pretty well then.

·
A work in progress...
13,662 Posts
Thanks for the advice on getting off my knees...I'll get a stool to sit on next time lol
I was wondering how long it'd take someone to put up that reference. Technically, my two shouldn't count, so it was less than 10.

I'm a little more than an hour east of Indy, or about 2 hours or so from Putnam. I'm hoping to get back to Putanm at least a couple times next season, and maybe out to Mid Ohio and/or Autobahn once. Those two are a lot farther, though, so we'll see how that works out. I see you're from Indiana...I'm guessing you know you're way around Putnam pretty well then.
I'm from Plainfield, West side of Indy. I have been to Putnam once, never been on it but I am planning on it next season. Let me know when you go, I'll be more than happy to go out there when I'm around. :cheers

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like a plan, Jokester. That's convenient for you, too, being so close. Now we just have to wait for the track schedule to be posted so we can all get signed up.

Needless to say, I'm still in the novice class. What class do you normally run in?

·
Registered
108 Posts
CSS teaches you to "lock in" with the outside leg.

Slide your butt back so at least a fist fits between your groin and the tank, move off the side of the bike (not all that far, a lot of people get way too far off and ride crossed up). Push down on the outside peg and into the tank. This should get most of the weight off of the inside leg.

To practice put the bike on stands. When you are locked in you should be able to take your hands off the bars and remain down and inside of the bike.

My left hip is crap and wouldn't let me do this properly and my right knee was taking the abuse. Got in the gym and stabilized the hip and got big improvements.

I won't claim I have good BP, the day I was really getting it together I came together with a crashing rider and it messed with my head a lot more than I care to admit.

·
Dangerously Irish
9,552 Posts
You may be too tense...relax a little. My first trackday I was SOOO sore afterwards. As the season went on the more I relaxed the less sore I was after trackdays. :cheers
^this

·
A work in progress...
13,662 Posts
Sounds like a plan, Jokester. That's convenient for you, too, being so close. Now we just have to wait for the track schedule to be posted so we can all get signed up.

Needless to say, I'm still in the novice class. What class do you normally run in?
I would be in the novice. This was my first year of riding. I've only watched, so I am excited for the thought of next year being on the track. I have to convince the girlfriend first. :laugh But I'd be more than happy to tag along.

·
Parts Pimp
26,472 Posts
I would be in the novice. This was my first year of riding. I've only watched, so I am excited for the thought of next year being on the track. I have to convince the girlfriend first. :laugh But I'd be more than happy to tag along.
I'll talk to her for u bro ;)

·
www.1seven1.com
2,064 Posts
I did something nasty to my right knee racing this season and almost didn't make it through the last round. After a bunch of rehab, looks like it was repetitive stress to "outside" knee (more left turns than right). More of a perfect storm of bad conditioning, repetitive stress and side effects from a med I'm on.

Two things have worked the best ... I got got orthotics for my shoes and I've been working/massaging the tendons around my knee. Be sure to stretch a ton, too. Look at the knee's anatomy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gray434.png

·
A work in progress...
13,662 Posts

·
2008 R6
3,671 Posts
I tend to get some knee pain in my right knee since there are so many right turns on both NJMP tracks. Usually after the day is over I have trouble walking for a while....but my body sucks so that could be why
^^^ on the same track. ESPECIALLY T-BOLT!!!

Honestly OP, I think it's just more of the fact that some people have stronger quads then others. When putting all of your weight on the inside peg, it's the same thing as squatting. Do a few lunges and squats in the middle of your living room for the same amount of time as a session (15 minutes). Safe bet your legs will be sore as sh-t.

My suggestion, and one I'll be doing this winter......WORK OUT! Do lunges, squats, etc. Bet you'll get on the bike next season and kill it!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts