Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
long time lurker, first time poster... having issues with my paint i picked up from a local shop. The black isn't quite black, just compare the tail section and the tank. (not sure how the photo is going to work via attachment button-issues with photobucket)

anyway, its painfully obvious in specific lighting that I have the wrong paint. I am pretty OCD about my baby and this is annoying me with each ride...

Looking for the 06 raven metallic black. Is this the proper stuff?

http://www.colorrite.com/product/yamaha-0903-black-metallic-x-smx-1777.cfm

If so, how much should I order? what about reducer? clear coat and hardener? I had the guy at the local pain shop walk me through the extra items and im pretty sure he bent me over his table and we has ourselves a snuggle struggle because I have no paint left and TONS of stuff for a clear coat.

Also, would i be able to get by with the clear coat I have or should i just get new stuff that is for sure compatible with the colorrite paint?

any help is appreciated,

Thanks

Attachments

·
.. .- -. -... ..- - .-..
502 Posts
Well most of the color matched spray cans i've had made usually run about $20.
Also depending on the paint code some times it tells you how many clear coats.

Also your primer/base color could be a major factor here

·
m3lover2
10,495 Posts
A). Don't use spray cans. Ghetto.

B) don't buy from colorite unless you have no options. Them fools are more expensive than any hooker or cop I've ever had. Google an automotive paint store and give them the paint code from colorite... It will be 50% cheaper. Most paints they sell are decent. Lesonal, matrix systems, debeer, ppg, etc..

You can use any clear coat over those paints. My #1 choice is a high solids ppg clear. #2 is basf glasurit high solids. If you wanna be cheap.. Transtar Euroclear high solids.. Last about 5 years on cars that aren't garaged

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, next question, say I get one that "matches " that paint code. Is it going to be an exact match? If not I think I would rather shell out a little more for an exact match.

Also, a question unrelated to color. Clearly I'm going to need to sand everything down again. What do you guys recommend wiping the dust off with? A buddy of mine had some chemical but airbrush is a hobby of his and I'd like to hear another point of view for cleaning post sanding operations.

Thanks again

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
m3lover2
10,495 Posts
Can't believe people buy that "exact match" propaganda. Rarely happens when paint matches 100%. You can get it very close... A good paint store will have paint chips for the variances. I've seen paints without any variances... and as many as 11 variances. Will be up to you to choose.

As far as sanding... If there are no runs or leaks in the clear... Wet sand it with 800grit. Wipe down with acetone

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.