Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey forum-ers,

Im looking to paint, rattle-can, my stock black wheels to match my factory blue fairings. Anyone found a color match spray can? I've been considering plasti-dip flex blue but not certain on that.

If there is an existing thread point me there and Ill go away. Thank you!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I doubt plastidip will match your oem blue, but you might get a similar color out of it by mixing and matching. You might try a white or silver base under the blue to brighten it, and use a glossifier on top. I don't know if metalizer comes in blue tones, but that might work as well to tint or alter your color coat.

On a side note, I recommend plastidip on wheels.

My first set I plastidipped I broke the tires from the bead, and removed the rotors to get full coverage of the color. I stuffed paper towels into the center hub area of the rims. I didn't want excess spray in places I couldn't remove it from. I was careful not to rotate the tires or the balance could be affected. I taped off the tires with a plastic bag and some tape. When I was done, the balance was as normal (no notable change from the dip application)

The last set I did was much simpler. I removed the rotors, cleaned the wheels and painted away. I just peeled the overspray off the tires. Heavy overspray peels off easier, so don't be afraid to get it on the tires!

Ive never had an imbalance develop from spraying plastidip, and Ive coated three sets now. Ive also heard to not always remove old plastidip to change the color, but rather let the coats build up. Like I said- heavy coats are much easier to remove.

After a few days the plastidip will fully cure, and its rather durable. When I did my wheels yellow, I had it on for almost a year with no peeling or issues at all. I clean mine with purple stuff, and use WD-40 on the tough spots. WD-40 seems to remove a slight layer, almost like waxing your car.

·
m3lover2
10,527 Posts
Color rite is too expensive. Google an automotive paint shop. Use colorrite to get the paint code. You should have an aerosal can under $15 from a normal local shop

1 - 5 of 5 Posts