Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know if it is possible to have the stock fairings on an R6 painted without having to worry about the paint peeling off? My bike was originally Candy Red but it was dropped and the owner decided to paint it black to cover up the scratches. Well, the paint job wasn't the best and now it's peeling in many places. I would like to pay someone to paint the entire bike matte black. So I have a couple questions.

1. Is it possible to paint the entire bike in a way that would make a passer-by assume that the new color is the original color? i.e. not a crappy job that peels

2. Do you know if it's possible to fix cracks in the fairings and paint over them, or would I need to buy brand new fairings to replace those that have cracks?

EDIT: Does anyone know of a professional painter near Charlotte, NC?

·
stuntin
738 Posts
If it were me, I would go to your nearest motorcycle shop. Not a Harley shop. And ask whoever is working there who they use to paint there bikes or someone they can refer you too. Yes you can fix cracks and all that. My brother did that and his needed some work and got his whole bike painted for 750. Looks great and was done by a professional.

·
Wannabe track addict
1,190 Posts
You can do the paint job yourself, if you have enough patience to do the job right, with a rattle can and the average person would never be able to tell. I did it once before and everything came out great.

·
Rad Ass
333 Posts
Does anyone know of a professional painter near Charlotte, NC?
Hey man, I'm from Charlotte and just had a dude paint my bike for me. His name is Thomal Hall at TH3 racing. He also does some work on my r6 too. Shoot me a private message and I can plug you in with him. Great dude, avid track day rider and expert level racer. Here is what he did to my bike and he powdercoated my wheels too. Look no further Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Alloy wheel

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
I Ride
61 Posts
1. Is it possible to paint the entire bike in a way that would make a passer-by assume that the new color is the original color? i.e. not a crappy job that peels

2. Do you know if it's possible to fix cracks in the fairings and paint over them, or would I need to buy brand new fairings to replace those that have cracks?
1. Depends on the passerby... I could pick out a rattle can job from 20 ft away.. others might not. Totally depends on your ability to paint. Are you confident you can achieve what you want? As far as peeling goes... that can be addressed with quality etching/priming. Since you want matte black your very limited to a clear coat or really not at all. A quality clear is the best defense against peeling. Keep in mind gas will destroy a rattle can paint job with no clear.

2. Yes totally possible to repair cracks... I use bondoglass.... It's strong and available at home depot. It's a 2 part resin with fiberglass strands within the resin. Use it sparingly as it can be difficult to remove and sand. The bondoglass makes the repair... a quality body filler makes it disappear. You can use Bondo brand body filler but there are better options. Any repairs you make need to be thoroughly primed... I suggest a filler primer for covering body filler.

Here's my suggestion.... take a broken fairing and repair it. Paint it and see how it comes out... If you like it.. then go for it. If not, you can go from there...

Good luck and take your time... rushing will ruin your results

Source: My brother and I repair and paint bikes without rattle cans

·
Registered
211 Posts
You can rattle can paint it just make sure you Eastwood.com (or ebay) and buy 2 part 2k aerosol clear coat. Painting is easy the prep is hard but do it right and use a good 2k spray can clear coat and it'll look like a factory or pro paint job. Trust me.

·
Get Some..!
288 Posts
Save some cash and do it yourself. John Deere Blitze Black goes on easy and is flexible and very durable. With a light sand and two rattle cans I had the bike pulled apart painted and back together all in a day. (1st time also) There is a great little read up here-
http://blitzblack.com/
Colour is a low gloss/satin with light/dry coats achieving matt finish if desired.

·
old and slow
9 Posts
Plastiweld works good for repairing the cracks. Apply adhesive promoter to the plastic before primer. I've painted many bikes in my day out of my shop. Use good quality primer and paint and it will look good. I've never used a rattle can so I can't speak to that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts