Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a new helmet probably an Arai, i was wondering if you could paint your own graphics on lets say a white helmet, i have full access to a paint booth and air guns and such. I was wondering if there was any warranty issues, and what would be the easiest way to go about it. Any links or ideas would be helpfull or even pics. Thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
What I have read before in similar posts is that in some cases, the chemicals will react to the fiberglass adversely. Then again, I cannot confirm but I would play it safe and possibly contact one of the reps for the manufacturer and ask?

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
zerogeeR6 said:
What I have read before in similar posts is that in some cases, the chemicals will react to the fiberglass adversely.
i read something llike that in the small manual that came with my arai helmet. warranty will be void.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
yep it will void the warrantee.

Anything you do to them voids the warrantee

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
why do you need a warranty for a helmet just curious?

if you want to paint it paint it!

i seen someone who painted their helmet to look like a brain and it was tight

·
Registered
419 Posts
You want a warrantee for you helmet incase you pay 500 dollars on a lid and the vent falls off or the face shield mechinism fails or any other incidental problem occurs.

·
Registered
84 Posts
for some reason damnet.com wont let me upload the pic's
??? maybe becasue im just a blonde or somthing like that.

you have another link to where I can host these pics to post on here

·
Registered
84 Posts
yeah belive it or not, all the paint was purchased at walmart, and I used a rattle can of clear to apply two coats of clear total job took me 3 hrs, thats including drawling it out aswell, but not including sanding.

this was my first time painting a helmet btw

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks alot guys, i think im gona try it on one of my dads HJC first!!!! :cheers And Blue how did you remove the air vent things, do they just glue on???

·
Registered
784 Posts
I just traded in a Blue R6 for a Red R1 and instead of blowing money on a new helmet, I just painted mine. My helmet was fine so I couldn't see spending the oney on a new one just so it would match. I also got all of my supplies from walmart. I liked the design, so I used masking tape to tape off the area I didn't want to spray and used an exacto knife to cut out the designs I wanted to paint over. I used model spray paint to paint the color on and bought a small can of automotive touch up clearcoat spray to cover it up. Turned out awesome and only cost me about 8 dollars compared to 150-200. As long as the paint is painted over the existing clearcoat and paint, it will be just fine.

·
Who eats a motorcycle?
3,096 Posts
Id definatly say just paint over the helmets clear coat, I wouldnt sand it just incase...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts